Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Asia-Pacific

    Volunteers help amid tragedy

    By CHANG JUN/ZHANG RUINAN/HONG XIAO | China Daily | Updated: 2017-10-04 08:11
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    Hundreds of people queue to donate blood following the mass shooting at the Route 91 music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada, US, on Monday. MIKE BLAKE/REUTERS

    Henry Liu, a Chinese tour guide, was driving his tour bus near the Las Vegas Strip as he headed back to his hotel after a day's work.

    When he got closer to the Strip around 10:30 pm local time, he suddenly heard a burst of popping sounds.

    "I thought it was fireworks at first, but then I realized it was the sound of gunshots," Liu said. "I saw police cars fly past with sirens blaring, and the police were all fully armed."

    Scores of people were screaming, running, crying and trying to seek safety, Liu said.

    When he finally got back to the hotel, a man knocked on his bus door, said that there were two people who were wounded in the mass shooting and they needed to be rushed to the nearby hospital's emergency room.

    Liu said the two people were severely wounded, a woman who was shot twice in the chest and a man who was covered in blood with a gunshot to his arm.

    A woman who worked at the hotel's reception desk said she was a local resident and provided directions to Liu who had to run several red lights and drive in the opposite direction, getting them to the hospital in seven minutes.

    After Liu got back to the hotel, he helped to transport another man who was slightly wounded in the arm to the hospital.

    Liu said there were three families in his tourist group who were traveling during the Chinese National Day holiday, with young children.

    "It was a very terrifying and horrible experience for them," he said.

    Others in the city stepped up to donate blood for the victims.

    Fiona Hu, who lives by the Las Vegas Strip, arrived at United Blood Services at around 7:20 am and saw people were already lined up. She waited for two hours, but still couldn't get in.

    "Many volunteers were passing out water, coffee, and snacks while we were waiting," said Hu. "There were so many people, so I had to wait for a parking spot for a long time."

    Hu was told it would be better to arrange an appointment online in advance, but when she got home, she found all donation centers had been booked and did not take reservations anymore.

    "I'll check if tomorrow I can get an appointment," Hu said. "There are hundreds of people wounded, so I decided to donate my blood-my blood type is O."

    She said she heard the music suddenly stopped last night, and noise from helicopters and police cars from her home. "I thought it was just pistol gunfire at first, but then I heard from my friend that it was a mass shooting," Hu added.

    Julie Scott, a spokesperson for United Blood Services, told ABC News that the wait is reportedly between five and six hours for people who are currently in line at any of the three donation sites in and around Las Vegas.

    On social media, people posted pictures from blood-donation sites around Las Vegas and other cities in Nevada and shared locations where people could donate.

    The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department provided a list of donation centers on Twitter, and it circulated widely, according to The New York Times.

    Sun Chao, manager of Golden Eagle Travel USA, a Chinese travel agency headquartered in New York with a branch in Los Angeles, told China Daily that the travel agency had more than 40 Chinese tourists and guides in Las Vegas on Sunday night when the shooting happened.

    The tourists were in Aria Resort & Casino, which is 1.5 miles from the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, where the gunman stayed, and Westgate Resort & Casino, about five miles from Mandalay. "They are in a safe situation but are scared," Sun said.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    日韩久久久久久中文人妻| 久久无码AV中文出轨人妻| 无码人妻丰满熟妇区BBBBXXXX| 成人无码午夜在线观看| 亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦在线视色| 人妻无码αv中文字幕久久| 欧美日韩中文国产va另类| 欧美 亚洲 日韩 中文2019| 国产精品xxxx国产喷水亚洲国产精品无码久久一区 | 日韩欧美中文在线| 亚洲高清无码综合性爱视频| 无码国产精品一区二区免费vr| 少妇中文无码高清| 日韩精品中文字幕无码一区| 精品无码人妻一区二区三区不卡| 无码专区AAAAAA免费视频| 欧洲精品无码一区二区三区在线播放 | 无码精品A∨在线观看十八禁| 亚洲中文字幕在线第六区| 免费a级毛片无码免费视频| 人妻丰满av无码中文字幕| 欧美日韩毛片熟妇有码无码 | 一本大道香蕉中文在线高清 | 国产亚洲中文日本不卡二区| 成人午夜福利免费专区无码| 国产成年无码久久久久毛片| 无码国产精品一区二区免费16| 亚洲AV无码专区电影在线观看 | 久久精品无码专区免费东京热| 午夜福利无码不卡在线观看| 亚洲色无码一区二区三区| 永久免费av无码网站yy| 18禁超污无遮挡无码免费网站| 免费无码又爽又刺激网站| 中文字幕无码乱人伦| 亚洲AV无码成人精品区蜜桃| 亚洲成AV人在线播放无码| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区四区 | 国产无码网页在线观看| 精品人妻少妇嫩草AV无码专区| 久久久久久亚洲精品无码|