Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    Business
    Home / Business / Motoring

    Foton plans to put Borgward up for sale

    By Li Fusheng | China Daily | Updated: 2017-11-06 09:34
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    A Borgward BX5 SUV is displayed at an auto event in Haikou, Hainan province.[Provided to China Daily]

    Chinese carmaker Foton Motor is planning to sell its Borgward unit, a German brand that is seeking a China revival, and Guangdong province-headquartered conglomerate Baoneng Group is a very likely candidate.

    Borgward is aiming for global development, and introducing strategic investors is one of its long-term strategies, the Securities Daily newspaper quoted Foton as saying.

    "Many investors, with Baoneng among them, have expressed their cooperation intentions, but we have so far not reached any deal with any of them," Foton said.

    Representatives at Borgward did not immediately reply to China Daily's request for a comment on the possible takeover.

    Some industry insiders said Foton has overstretched itself financially and is therefore in urgent need of investment to bolster up Borgward's lackluster performance. "Foton is not a sugar daddy itself, but what Borgward requires is too much. So Foton's intention of introducing new investors can be counted as stop-loss," the National Business Daily quoted an anonymous investor as saying on Thursday.

    Foton originally launched its business as a manufacturer of commercial cars such as trucks. But it has long held a dream of offering passenger cars, including family sedans and SUVs.

    So in 2014, Foton acquired Borgward, which saw its last Isabella coupe roll off the production line in 1961.

    Foton spent 5 million euros ($5.82 million) on the deal and soon registered the brand in several countries, including China, the United States and India.

    Foton's efforts to revive the brand started much earlier, in 2005. The company has invested more than 10 billion yuan ($1.5 billion) in building facilities and car development, almost equaling all its disclosed profit since it was listed in 1998, according to the National Business Daily.

    To make things worse, Borgward did not grow as Foton had expected.

    Its first model, the BX7 SUV, hit the market in 2016. For a time its monthly sales hit as many as 5,000 vehicles, but the German label soon lost its appeal.

    Borgward launched a smaller SUV, the BX5, earlier this year, but it did not save the day.

    Sales of the two models combined stood at 30,000 vehicles in the first nine months, a drop in the ocean of the world's largest car market.

    If Borward is to launch more models-two or three a year as it planned to-then it means more investment has to be made, but that seems to be too heavy a burden for Foton.

    Foton's financial results show that its net profit in the first three quarters this year was 138 million yuan, a 40 percent fall from the same period last year.

    "Baoneng is a very likely investor in Borgward. In fact, it has started due diligence, but it has not decided to make a complete takeover and acquire a stake," people close to Foton told the National Business Daily. Baoneng Group is a property and financial services conglomerate controlled by Chinese billionaire Yao Zhenhua. He became a household name after a failed bid to buy a major stake in China's largest estate developer, Vanke.

    Though whether Baoneng will win the bid remains unknown, its interest in the carmaking industry, especially the booming new energy car sector, is obvious.

    In late October, the company signed a 14 billion yuan investment agreement with a district government in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, to launch a new energy vehicle development and production project. Baoneng has already registered an automotive company under its name. Its business includes specializing in the development, manufacturing and sales of engines, chassis, buses, passenger cars and new energy cars, according to the State Administration for Industry & Commerce.

    Baoneng has also been rumored to have become a major shareholder of Qoros Auto, a joint venture between Chinese automaker Chery and Kenon Holdings.

    Qoros announced in August that it had sold a 51 percent stake to a Chinese company, which is pending regulatory approval. Qoros has not specified the name of the investor but it said that the investment will conclude this year.

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    CLOSE
     
    √天堂中文www官网在线| 久久人妻少妇嫩草AV无码专区| 日韩午夜福利无码专区a| 7777久久亚洲中文字幕| 国产在线精品无码二区| 日韩精品无码一区二区三区AV| 狠狠精品久久久无码中文字幕| 免费精品无码AV片在线观看| 无码任你躁久久久久久老妇App| 一本一道AV无码中文字幕| 91精品久久久久久无码| 日韩爆乳一区二区无码| 精品亚洲AV无码一区二区| 最近2019中文字幕免费直播| 无码国产亚洲日韩国精品视频一区二区三区| 亚洲爆乳精品无码一区二区三区| 亚洲欧洲中文日韩久久AV乱码| 亚洲精品无码专区2| 精品国产毛片一区二区无码| 日韩av无码一区二区三区| 一本加勒比hezyo无码专区| 高清无码午夜福利在线观看| 人妻精品久久久久中文字幕| 久久中文字幕一区二区| 久久精品天天中文字幕人妻| 中文字幕色婷婷在线视频| 在线看福利中文影院| 日本公妇在线观看中文版| 天堂√中文最新版在线| 无码毛片一区二区三区中文字幕 | 中文字幕亚洲情99在线| 亚洲成?Ⅴ人在线观看无码| 久久久久亚洲?V成人无码| AV成人午夜无码一区二区| h无码动漫在线观看| 精品无码国产自产拍在线观看蜜| 国产成人精品无码一区二区| 国产V片在线播放免费无码| 无码精品蜜桃一区二区三区WW| 无码av不卡一区二区三区| 中文字幕无码高清晰|