Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    Britain and EU reach deal to move Brexit talks forward

    Updated: 2017-12-08 15:46
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis, Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier meet at the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium, Dec 8, 2017. [Photo/Agencies] 

     BRUSSELS/LONDON - The European Commission said on Friday enough progress had been made in Brexit negotiations with Britain and that a second phase of negotiations should begin, ending an impasse over the status of the Irish border.

    The Commission announced its verdict in an early morning statement after intense talks, which resulted in British Prime Minister Theresa May taking an early-morning flight to Brussels to announce the deal alongside Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.

    The Commission's recommendation that sufficient progress has been made will now go to the European Union summit of leaders taking place next week. May said she expected a formal agreement to be approved at the summit.

    "Prime Minister May has assured me that it has the backing of the UK government. On that basis, I believe we have now made the breakthrough we need. Today's result is of course a compromise," Juncker told a hastily arranged news conference.

    The commission said it was ready to begin work immediately on Phase Two talks, which cover trade and long-term relations with the bloc.

    Moving to talks about trade and a Brexit transition is crucial for the future of May's premiership, and to keep trade flowing between the world's biggest trading bloc and its sixth- largest national economy after Britain leaves on March 30, 2019.

    May's key parliamentary ally in Northern Ireland said a text clarifying arrangements on the UK-EU border on the island of Ireland had been agreed, four days after 11th-hour objections from Belfast scuppered May's attempt to sign off on an accord over the Irish border during a lunch in Brussels on Monday.

    A carefully choreographed attempt to showcase the progress of Brexit talks collapsed at the last minute when the Northern Irish party that props up May's government vetoed a draft deal already agreed with the government in Dublin.

    Since then, May has been scrambling to clinch a deal on the border in Ireland acceptable to the EU, Dublin, her own lawmakers and Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), which keeps her government in power.

    Reuters

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    日本乱人伦中文字幕网站| 中文字幕乱码人妻一区二区三区| 综合无码一区二区三区| 乱人伦中文无码视频在线观看| 无码专区国产无套粉嫩白浆内射 | 国产亚洲3p无码一区二区| 玖玖资源站中文字幕在线| 亚洲区日韩区无码区| 人禽无码视频在线观看| 国产AV无码专区亚洲AV漫画| 久久超乳爆乳中文字幕| 亚洲人成人无码网www国产| 国产成人无码免费网站| 无码日韩精品一区二区三区免费| 中文字幕永久一区二区三区在线观看 | 日韩精品无码一区二区三区免费| 中文精品99久久国产 | 特级做A爰片毛片免费看无码| 中文字幕无码播放免费| 国产成人无码a区在线视频| 日韩免费无码一区二区三区 | 亚洲中文字幕不卡无码| 亚洲看片无码在线视频| 亚洲国产精品狼友中文久久久| 色噜噜狠狠成人中文综合| 亚洲一区无码精品色| 无码人妻一区二区三区在线水卜樱| 国产成人精品无码片区在线观看 | 色综合久久无码中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码片一区二区三区| 曰韩精品无码一区二区三区 | 无码超乳爆乳中文字幕久久| 一本色道无码道DVD在线观看| 无码福利一区二区三区| 中文字幕无码av激情不卡久久 | 国产AV无码专区亚洲AV漫画| 中国无码人妻丰满熟妇啪啪软件 | 精品人妻系列无码一区二区三区 | 久久久久久国产精品免费无码| 无码国内精品久久人妻蜜桃| 亚洲第一极品精品无码久久|