Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Middle East

    Palestinians outraged over US threat

    China Daily | Updated: 2018-01-04 11:08
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    PLO executive calls Trump's warning on aid 'blackmail'

    RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinians have condemned as "blackmail" US President Donald Trump's threat to withhold future aid payments over what he called the Palestinians' unwillingness to talk peace with Israel.

    Trump drew praise from a cabinet minister in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right-wing government but a warning from a former Israeli peace negotiator of the dangers in cutting off financial assistance to the Palestinians.

    On Twitter on Tuesday, Trump said Washington gives Palestinians "HUNDRED OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS a year and get no appreciation or respect. They don't even want to negotiate a long overdue peace treaty with Israel... with the Palestinians no longer willing to talk peace, why should we make any of these massive future payments to them?"

    Hanan Ashrawi, a member of the Palestine Liberation Organization's executive committee, said in response on Wednesday: "We will not be blackmailed."

    Palestinian anger at Trump is already high over his Dec 6 recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, a declaration that also generated outrage across the Arab world and concern among Washington's Western allies.

    Commenting on Trump's tweets, Nabil Abu Rdainah, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, said: "Jerusalem is not for sale, neither for gold nor for silver."

    Abu Rdainah said the Palestinians were not opposed to returning to peace talks that collapsed in 2014, but only on the basis of establishing a state of their own along the lines that existed before Israel captured the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip in the 1967 war.

    "If the United States is keen about peace and about its interests it must abide by that," he said.

    Israel, which withdrew troops and settlers from the Gaza Strip in 2005, has called the pre-1967 war West Bank boundaries indefensible and has pledged to hold on to all of Jerusalem forever.

    Humanitarian crisis

    A report prepared for the US Congress in December 2016 by the US Congressional Research Service said annual US economic support to the West Bank and Gaza Strip has averaged around $400 million since fiscal 2008.

    Much of the money has gone toward US Agency for International Development-administered project assistance and the rest toward budget support for the Palestinian Authority, which administers limited self-rule in the Palestinian territories under interim peace agreements.

    Israeli Culture Minister Miri Regev, a member of Netanyahu's Likud party, welcomed Trump's aid comments, saying on Army Radio: "I am very satisfied ... (Trump) is saying the time has come to stop saying flattering words (to the Palestinians)."

    But Tzipi Livni, an Israeli opposition politician and a former peace negotiator, said "a responsible and serious (Israeli) government" should quietly tell Trump that it would be in Israel's interest to prevent a "humanitarian crisis in Gaza" and to continue to fund Palestinian security forces cooperating with Israel.

    Earlier on Tuesday, Trump's UN ambassador disclosed plans to stop funding a United Nations agency that provides humanitarian aid to Palestinian refugees.

    "The president has basically said he doesn't want to give any additional funding, or stop funding, until the Palestinians agree to come back to the negotiation table," Ambassador Nikki Haley told reporters when asked about future US funding for the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian refugees.

    In a statement, UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said: "UNRWA has not been informed by the United States administration of any changes in US funding to the agency."

    Reuters - AP - Xinhua

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    国产成人无码一区二区三区| 中文字幕乱人伦| 国产激情无码一区二区三区| 人妻少妇看A偷人无码精品 | 国产精品无码国模私拍视频 | 最近更新中文字幕第一页| 人禽无码视频在线观看| 中文字幕精品亚洲无线码一区应用| 国产精品无码一区二区在线| 无码精品视频一区二区三区| 中文字幕乱码免费看电影| 精品亚洲综合久久中文字幕| 中文毛片无遮挡高潮免费| 99精品人妻无码专区在线视频区| 亚洲国产精品无码一线岛国| 日本无码WWW在线视频观看| 日本中文字幕电影| 亚洲中文字幕无码一久久区| 亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦在线视色| 91久久精品无码一区二区毛片| 亚洲AV无码国产精品麻豆天美| 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩蜜臀浪潮| 最近2019免费中文字幕视频三| 精品久久久久久中文字幕人妻最新| 亚洲天堂2017无码中文| 无码人妻久久一区二区三区蜜桃| av一区二区人妻无码| 91精品日韩人妻无码久久不卡| r级无码视频在线观看| 成人无码午夜在线观看| 精品人妻系列无码天堂| 国产精品无码无在线观看| 99久久人妻无码精品系列 | 手机在线观看?v无码片| 久久久久无码中| 亚洲中文字幕一二三四区苍井空| 漂亮人妻被中出中文字幕久久| 中文字幕无码一区二区免费| 日韩欧美群交P片內射中文| 中文字幕欧美日韩| 无码区日韩特区永久免费系列|