Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Trump says tariffs are still on table

    By Chen Weihua in Washington | China Daily USA | Updated: 2018-03-06 11:53
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    As pressure mounts, White House says there may be a pass for Canada, Mexico

    US President Donald Trump announces that the United States will impose tariffs of 25 percent on steel imports and 10 percent on imported aluminum during a meeting at the White House in Washington, March 1, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

    US President Donald Trump said on Monday he is not backing down from the steel and aluminum tariffs he announced last week, despite mounting pressure from both home and abroad.

    US House Speaker Paul Ryan said on Monday that he was "extremely worried" about the impact of a trade war, adding that it could undermine economic gains created by the new tax reduction program.

    "We're not backing down," Trump told reporters during a meeting with visiting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the Oval Office. But Trump also said, "I don't think you're going to have a trade war".

    Trump said last Thursday that he will sign measures this week to impose 25 percent tariffs on steel imports and 10 percent on aluminum imports to protect the domestic industries, under Section 232 of the US Trade Expansion Act of 1962, which determines the imports that pose a national security threat.

    The announcement, applauded by US steel and aluminum producers, has triggered widespread concerns over possible trade wars with US trading partners.

    The US stock market took a hit after the announcement. But on Monday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 336.70 points higher at 24,874.76 amid sentiment that Trump may change his mind under the mounting pressure, especially from his own Republican Party and the US business community. Trump is known for changing his rhetoric from time to time, from the Korean Peninsula to gun control.

    Republican senators, such Orrin Hatch of Utah, the longest-serving Republican senator in US history, and Ben Sasse from Nebraska, have criticized the tariffs as a tax on US consumers.

    Roberto Azevedo, director-general of the World Trade Organization, on Monday reiterated his concerns over a possible escalation of trade retaliation.

    "Once we start down this path, it will be very difficult to reverse direction. An eye for an eye will leave us all blind and the world in deep recession. We must make every effort to avoid the fall of the first dominoes. There is still time," he told a WTO meeting.

    On Monday, Trump again blasted US trade partners who he said take advantage of the US. But he indicated that if Mexico and Canada will make a fair deal in renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), he may exempt them from the tariffs.

    The latest round of talks to revamp NAFTA ended in Mexico City on Monday without a trilateral statement from the US, Canada and Mexico. Both Canada and Mexico, major steel aluminum exporters to the US, have vowed to retaliate if Trump imposes the tariffs on them.

    Trump also said on Monday he would tax cars from the European Union if they retaliate against his new tariffs. He accused the EU of having "trade barriers that are far worse than tariffs".

    He again equated US trade deficits as a loss for the country, an argument that is dismissed by almost all economists.

    "The biggest problem is China, we lost $500 billion," he said. "How previous presidents allowed that to happen is disgraceful."

    The US trade deficit jumped 12.1 percent in 2017 to $566 billion. That includes $375.2 billion with China, according to the US Commerce Department. Chinese data show the surplus is much lower.

    Most economists believe a bilateral trade deficit does not matter, and the US' trade deficit has more to do with its own macroeconomic policies, saving rates and the role of the dollar as a global reserve currency. Trump's tax cut measures also are xpected to help expand the trade deficit by stimulating imports.

    chenweihua@chinadailyusa.com

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    久久久久久国产精品免费无码| 国产成人无码综合亚洲日韩| 一本久中文视频播放| 日韩欧群交P片内射中文| 欧美日韩中文国产一区| HEYZO无码综合国产精品227| 亚洲AV无码乱码精品国产| 成人免费无码H在线观看不卡| 日本精品久久久中文字幕| 日韩电影无码A不卡| 精品亚洲A∨无码一区二区三区| 伊人蕉久中文字幕无码专区 | 亚洲日韩精品无码专区网址| 亚洲综合av永久无码精品一区二区 | 中文字幕有码无码AV| 7777久久亚洲中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码AV男人的天堂不卡| 日日麻批免费40分钟无码| 中国少妇无码专区| 日韩av无码中文无码电影| 欧美精品丝袜久久久中文字幕| 无码中文字幕乱在线观看| 亚洲AV无码一区二区一二区| 国精无码欧精品亚洲一区| 久久亚洲日韩看片无码| 免费A级毛片无码无遮挡内射| 一本大道香蕉中文在线高清 | 中文字幕一二区| 免费精品无码AV片在线观看| 亚洲AV无码久久精品色欲| 亚洲国产精品无码一线岛国| 亚洲日韩国产二区无码| 亚洲成AV人在线播放无码| 午夜福利无码不卡在线观看 | MM1313亚洲精品无码| 无码中文字幕日韩专区| 成 人无码在线视频高清不卡 | 久クク成人精品中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码精品无码麻豆| 无码永久免费AV网站| 人妻无码αv中文字幕久久琪琪布 人妻无码第一区二区三区 |