Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Tillerson out, Pompeo to be new secretary of state

    By ZHAO HUANXIN in Washington | China Daily USA | Updated: 2018-03-13 23:40
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    US President Donald Trump has fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, and is replacing him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

    “Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job!” Trump tweeted early on Tuesday. "Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen. Congratulations to all!”

    Steve Goldstein, a spokesman for Tillerson, said in a statement on Tuesday that Tillerson did not speak directly to Trump and ``is unaware of the reason’’ he is being replaced. "The secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security,’’ he said in the statement.

    The resignation of the 65-year-old former CEO of Exxon Mobil is the biggest shakeup of the Trump Cabinet so far.

    A senior White House official said Trump wanted Tillerson to step down so he could have a new team in place before upcoming talks with Pyongyang, Politico reported on Tuesday.

    Last week, Trump agreed to meet face-to-face with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea leader Kim Jong-un by May, in what could be the biggest breakthrough in the tense relationship with Pyongyang.

    Trump’s tweet followed a Washington Post report on Tuesday that the president had asked Tillerson to step aside last Friday, and the embattled diplomat cut short a trip to Africa on Monday to return to Washington.

    Tension between Trump and Tillerson has simmered for many months, but the president and his top diplomat reached a breaking point over the past week, officials said, the Post reported on Tuesday. It said the reason for the latest rift was unclear.

    Trump publicly undercut Tillerson’s diplomatic initiatives numerous times, including on Monday when the former secretary of state’s comments about Russia appeared to be at odds with those of the White House.

    Tillerson also appeared out of the loop last week when Trump announced he would meet with North Korea’s leader and become the first sitting US president to do so.

    On Oct 4, NBC News reported that Tillerson called Trump “a moron” during a meeting with top officials over the summer. Tillerson did not dispute whether he called Trump “a moron”. But State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said that “the secretary does not use that type of language.”

    Attacking the reporting as “phony,” Trump later said he appreciated Tillerson’s comments and that he had “total confidence in Rex.”

    But less than a week later, he suggested in a Forbes magazine interview that if the story were true, he should “compare IQ tests” with Tillerson. “And I can tell you who is going to win,” he added.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    美丽姑娘免费观看在线观看中文版| 特级无码毛片免费视频尤物| 无码人妻黑人中文字幕| 人妻丝袜中文无码av影音先锋专区| 无码精品一区二区三区在线 | 亚洲av无码不卡| 最好看的中文字幕最经典的中文字幕视频| 人妻丰满熟妇av无码区不卡| 蜜桃无码AV一区二区| 色综合久久最新中文字幕| 亚洲Av无码国产情品久久 | 91无码人妻精品一区二区三区L| 成年无码av片完整版| 中文字幕本一道先锋影音| 熟妇人妻中文av无码| 国产午夜无码片免费| 国产AV无码专区亚汌A√| 亚洲AV综合色区无码另类小说| 高清无码v视频日本www| 久草中文在线观看| 日本乱偷人妻中文字幕在线| 香蕉伊蕉伊中文视频在线| 亚洲色偷拍区另类无码专区| 日韩美无码五月天| 免费无码午夜福利片69| 少妇无码太爽了不卡视频在线看| av无码播放一级毛片免费野外| 日韩av无码一区二区三区| 亚洲爆乳精品无码一区二区三区| 亚洲熟妇无码AV在线播放| 亚洲色无码一区二区三区| 曰韩人妻无码一区二区三区综合部 | 中文字幕视频免费| 久久亚洲春色中文字幕久久久| 中文 在线 日韩 亚洲 欧美| 中文人妻无码一区二区三区| 亚洲最大激情中文字幕| 中文字幕手机在线视频| 中文精品99久久国产| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久2017| 无码人妻一区二区三区兔费|