Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Africa

    S. African ex-president Zuma to be prosecuted for corruption

    Xinhua | Updated: 2018-03-16 23:38
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Jacob Zuma leaves Tuynhuys, the office of the Presidency at Parliament in Cape Town, South Africa, Feb 7, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

    PRETORIA - South Africa's chief prosecutor said on Friday former president Jacob Zuma would face 16 charges which includes fraud, racketeering and corruption.

    Shaun Abrahams, National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP), said this while briefing the media in Pretoria on Friday. Charges against Zuma were dropped in 2009 in a South Africa's multibillion-rand arms deal. They related to 783 questionable payments made to Zuma which were linked to the arms deal.

    Abrahams said Zuma must have his day in court. Zuma's charges include one count for racketeering, two counts of corruption, one count for money laundering and 12 counts of fraud.

    "After consideration of this matter, I am of the view that there are reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution of Mr. Zuma on the charges listed on the indictment, served on Mr Zuma prior to the termination of the matter. As a result, Zuma's representations are unsuccessful," said Abrahams.

    Zuma's lawyers made representations last year to the National Prosecuting Authority asking them to drop the charges. Last year the High Court ruled that dropping charges against Zuma in 2009 was unlawful and irrational.

    The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) also dismissed the appeal by Zuma and the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) against the High Court judgment.

    Abrahams said, "A trial court must decide and ventilate on this matter. There are various prospects of a successful prosecution on this matter. The Director of Public Prosecutions in KwaZulu-Natal will facilitate the necessary processes for Mr Zuma and his co-accused to appear in Court."

    Abrahams said he informed Zuma's lawyers today about his decision.

    Zuma's party, the African National Congress (ANC), issued a statement saying they note the reinstatement of the charges. The ANC secretary General Ace Magashule said the prosecuting authority should be given the chance to do its work without any interference.

    Magashule said Zuma should be treated as innocent until proven guilty by the courts. He said, "The ANC reaffirms its confidence in our country's criminal justice system and our respect for the independence of the judiciary. We equally affirm our commitment to the constitutionally enshrined principle of equality of all before the law."

    In 2009, Zuma's lawyers produced tapes which they argued there was a conspiracy to charge him when the ANC was about to go to congress and prevent him from being elected to lead the party.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    中文字幕在线精品视频入口一区| 午夜无码中文字幕在线播放 | 婷婷综合久久中文字幕蜜桃三电影| 精品国产aⅴ无码一区二区| 亚洲成av人片不卡无码久久| 中国无码人妻丰满熟妇啪啪软件 | 亚洲成A人片在线观看无码3D | 无码一区二区三区老色鬼| 中文字幕亚洲精品资源网| 亚洲精品无码成人片在线观看| 亚洲精品无码久久久久sm| 大蕉久久伊人中文字幕| 亚洲精品无码永久中文字幕| 毛片免费全部无码播放| 男人的天堂无码动漫AV| 亚洲AV综合色区无码另类小说| 欧美日韩中文字幕在线| 久久婷婷综合中文字幕| 欧美 亚洲 有码中文字幕| 爽到高潮无码视频在线观看| 2024最新热播日韩无码| 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩按摩 | 亚洲中文字幕无码中文字在线| 一本大道香蕉中文在线高清| 欧美日韩亚洲中文字幕一区二区三区| YY111111少妇无码理论片| 精品无码国产一区二区三区AV| 亚洲不卡中文字幕无码| 亚洲中文字幕不卡无码| 中文有无人妻vs无码人妻激烈| 免费无码H肉动漫在线观看麻豆| 无码人妻少妇久久中文字幕| 最近中文国语字幕在线播放视频| 无码中文字幕日韩专区| 最近新中文字幕大全高清| 国产中文字幕在线免费观看| 最近2019中文字幕免费直播| 最近中文字幕完整在线看一| 亚洲成A人片在线观看中文| 亚洲国产中文字幕在线观看| 日本无码色情三级播放|