Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    US transfers inmate from Guantanamo

    China Daily USA | Updated: 2018-05-03 14:25
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    File photo shows the front gate of Camp Delta is shown at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba Sept 4, 2007. [Photo/Agencies]

    WASHINGTON - The United States announced on Wednesday the first transfer of a prisoner from the Guantanamo Bay detention center under US President Donald Trump, reducing the prisoner population at a facility Trump has signaled he would like to repopulate.

    The US military said Ahmed Muhammed Haza al-Darbi's transfer to Saudi Arabia reduced the detainee population to 40 from 41. He was the first prisoner to leave the US detention center in Cuba since Jan 19, 2017 - the day before Trump was inaugurated.

    Reuters reported in March that al-Darbi's transfer was advancing.

    Commander Sarah Higgins, a Pentagon spokeswoman, noted that the transfer was provided under the terms of a 2014 plea deal, which will allow al-Darbi to serve out the rest of his 13-year sentence there.

    "The United States coordinated with the government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to ensure the transfer took place in accordance with established standards for security and humane treatment," Higgins said.

    The prison, opened by Republican President George W. Bush to hold terrorism suspects captured overseas after the Sept 11, 2001, terrorist attacks came to symbolize harsh detention practices that opened the United States to accusations of torture.

    US officials have not ruled out adding to the prisoner population again and have acknowledged trouble repatriating Islamic State fighters being held by US-backed forces in Syria, raising the possibility that Guantanamo Bay could be seen as a viable option in the future.

    Trump's Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama, reduced the inmate population to 41 from 242 but fell short of fulfilling his promise to close the jail before leaving office last year.

    In contrast, Trump pledged during his campaign to repopulate the prison, saying he wanted "to load it up with some bad dudes".

    Trump signed an order in January to keep the detention center open and hinted in his State of the Union address to Congress this year that Islamic State or al Qaeda fighters could be added to the prison population.

    He also asked the Pentagon to re-examine the US military's detention policy.

    To that end, the Pentagon said on Wednesday it updated its guidance on criteria for transferring new detainees to Guantanamo Bay.

    "This policy provides our warfighters guidance on nominating detainees for transfer to Guantanamo detention should that person present a continuing, significant threat to the security of the United States," said Higgins.

    Reuters

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    精品无码久久久久久国产| 中文无码不卡的岛国片| 在线观看免费无码专区| 一本之道高清无码视频| 无码人妻丰满熟妇区五十路百度| 天堂√中文最新版在线下载| 国产精品无码无卡无需播放器| 亚洲精品午夜无码专区| 最近最新中文字幕完整版| 最近中文字幕在线中文视频| 成人无码视频97免费| 无码人妻久久一区二区三区| 一二三四在线播放免费观看中文版视频| 中文 在线 日韩 亚洲 欧美| 国产强伦姧在线观看无码| 人妻少妇偷人精品无码| 无码专区狠狠躁躁天天躁| 毛片免费全部播放无码| 亚洲中文字幕成人在线| 最近最新中文字幕完整版| 台湾佬中文娱乐网22| 色综合久久最新中文字幕| 天堂√在线中文资源网| 波多野结衣中文在线| 美丽姑娘免费观看在线观看中文版 | 亚洲中文字幕无码爆乳AV| 人妻少妇AV无码一区二区| 中文字幕在线最新在线不卡| 久久精品中文騷妇女内射| 超清无码无卡中文字幕| 国产在线精品一区二区中文| 日本中文字幕中出在线| 人妻精品久久久久中文字幕 | 日韩AV无码中文无码不卡电影| 小泽玛丽无码视频一区| 亚洲AV永久无码一区二区三区| 亚洲äv永久无码精品天堂久久 | 亚洲成在人线在线播放无码| 亚洲一级特黄无码片| 亚洲乱码中文字幕综合| 中文字幕在线视频网|