Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    US ponders summit despite warning

    China Daily | Updated: 2018-05-18 10:14
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A file photo of US President Donald Trump. [Photo/Agencies]

    Seoul vows to play 'mediator' to ease doubts over DPRK talks

    US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday it was unclear whether his upcoming meeting with Kim Jong-un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, would occur as planned after Pyongyang's fresh warning to pull out of the talks.

    "We'll have to see," Trump told reporters at the White House when asked if his June 12 meeting with Kim will take place as scheduled.

    A senior DPRK official said earlier in the day that his country may reconsider the meeting in Singapore because of provocative remarks made by US officials.

    "No decision. We haven't been notified at all," said Trump before his meeting with visiting Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev.

    "We haven't seen anything. We haven't heard anything. We will see what happens. Whatever it is, it is," he said.

    Trump also acknowledged that he would continue to insist on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

    The DPRK's First Vice-Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan said on Wednesday that Pyongyang may have second thoughts about the meeting if the United States "only wants to press the DPRK to abandon its nuclear arsenal".

    Noting that White House national security adviser John Bolton had urged the DPRK to abandon its nuclear arsenal first in order to receive benefits on trade, a similar stance previously taken with Libya, Kim said in a statement it was "not about solving problems through dialogue, but is intended to replay the tragedy of Libya on the DPRK".

    Kim also stressed in the statement that "an end of hostile policies, nuclear threats and intimidation from the United States against the DPRK are preconditions for denuclearization".

    But White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders on Wednesday expressed a degree of optimism about the Trump-Kim talks.

    "We're still hopeful that the meeting will take place and we'll continue down that path," Sanders told Fox News in an interview.

    "But at the same time we've been prepared that these could be tough negotiations," the spokeswoman added.

    Kim's statement was issued after a joint military drill between the US and the Republic of Korea, dubbed "2018 Max Thunder", kicked off throughout the ROK on May 11.

    The war games also triggered Pyongyang's infinite suspension of its scheduled high-level talks with Seoul.

    Japan's Asahi newspaper on Thursday reported that the US has demanded the DPRK ship some nuclear warheads, an intercontinental ballistic missile and other nuclear material overseas within six months.

    The newspaper, citing several sources, said US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo appeared to have told the DPRK leader when they met this month that Pyongyang might be removed from a list of state sponsors of terrorism if it removes those nuclear items.

    Meanwhile, ROK's presidential Blue House said it would seek to bridge the gap between the Washington and Pyongyang.

    An official said the government or President Moon Jaein intends to more actively perform "the role of a mediator" between the three countries.

    Trump will host Moon at a summit at the White House on May 22, and the two are expected to discuss the upcoming US-DPRK summit.

    Xinhua and Reuters contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    无码精品久久一区二区三区| 日韩精品中文字幕第2页| 亚洲国产中文字幕在线观看| 国产精品无码久久综合| 最近免费字幕中文大全| 日本中文字幕在线| 狠狠躁天天躁无码中文字幕| 再看日本中文字幕在线观看| 欧美日韩中文国产一区发布| 国产激情无码一区二区| 中文字幕无码无码专区| 日韩欧美中文字幕一字不卡| 中文人妻无码一区二区三区| 成人午夜福利免费专区无码| 日韩免费无码视频一区二区三区| 中文字幕不卡高清视频在线| 人妻少妇久久中文字幕一区二区| 亚洲?V无码成人精品区日韩| 久久久久亚洲AV片无码下载蜜桃| 中文无码伦av中文字幕| 色综合久久精品中文字幕首页| 欧美巨大xxxx做受中文字幕| 国产免费久久久久久无码| 精品视频无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码专区在线播放中文 | 人妻无码中文字幕免费视频蜜桃 | 成人无码免费一区二区三区| 久久久久亚洲av无码专区导航| 亚洲大尺度无码专区尤物| 中文字幕无码精品三级在线电影 | 精品久久久久中文字| 国产一区二区中文字幕| 人妻无码αv中文字幕久久琪琪布 人妻无码中文久久久久专区 | 亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦在线观看| 中文字幕日韩理论在线| 中文字幕精品无码久久久久久3D日动漫 | 狠狠躁夜夜躁无码中文字幕| 久久国产精品无码HDAV| 国产精品无码成人午夜电影| 超清无码一区二区三区| 免费无遮挡无码视频在线观看 |