Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / China-Africa

    DR Congo facing 'very high' risk from Ebola outbreak

    China Daily | Updated: 2018-05-19 14:17
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Officials carry Ebola vaccines in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, on Wednesday. [Photo/Agencies]

    GENEVA - The Democratic Republic of Congo faces a "very high" public health risk from Ebola after the disease was confirmed in one patient in a major city, the World Health Organization said on Friday, raising its assessment from "high" previously.

    The risk to countries in the region was now "high", raised from "moderate", but the global risk remained "low".

    The reassessment came after the first confirmed case in Mbandaka, a city of around 1.5 million. Previous reports of the disease had all been in remote areas where Ebola might spread more slowly.

    "The confirmed case in Mbandaka, a large urban center located on major national and international river, road and domestic air routes increases the risk of it spreading within the Democratic Republic of the Congo and to neighboring countries," it said.

    WHO Deputy Director-General for Emergency Preparedness and Response Peter Salama told reporters on Thursday that the risk assessment was being reviewed.

    "We're certainly not trying to cause any panic in the national or international community," he said.

    "What we're saying though is that urban Ebola is very different phenomenon to rural Ebola because we know that people in urban areas can have far more contacts so that means that urban Ebola can result in an exponential increase in cases in a way that rural Ebola struggles to do."

    On Friday, the WHO was scheduled to convene an Emergency Committee of experts to advise on the international response to the outbreak.

    The nightmare scenario is an outbreak in Kinshasa, a crowded city where millions live in unsanitary slums not connected to a sewer system.

    The WHO statement said there had been 21 suspected, 20 probable and 3 confirmed cases of Ebola between April 4 and May 15, a total of 44 cases, including 15 deaths.

    Mbandaka had three suspected cases in addition to the confirmed case.

    The WHO is sending 7,540 doses of an experimental vaccine to try to stop the outbreak in its tracks, and 4,300 doses have already arrived in Kinshasa. It will be used to protect health workers and "rings" of contacts around each case.

    The vaccine supplies will be enough to vaccinate 50 rings of 150 people, the WHO said.

    As of 15 May, 527 contacts had been identified and were being followed up and monitored, it said.

    Reuters - Xinhua

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲综合无码AV一区二区| 亚洲VA中文字幕无码毛片| 熟妇人妻VA精品中文字幕| 亚洲精品无码专区在线在线播放| 亚洲AⅤ永久无码精品AA| 日韩精品无码一区二区中文字幕 | 无码专区中文字幕无码| 中文字幕高清有码在线中字| 午夜无码国产理论在线| 亚洲av激情无码专区在线播放| 日韩中文字幕免费视频| 五月婷婷无码观看| 国产精品无码A∨精品影院| 亚洲精品无码永久在线观看你懂的| 狠狠躁夜夜躁无码中文字幕 | 中文字幕一二三区| 中文无码不卡的岛国片| 精品无码一级毛片免费视频观看| 亚洲AV日韩AV高潮无码专区| 无码人妻丝袜在线视频| 日韩AV高清无码| 久久亚洲中文字幕精品一区| 台湾佬中文娱乐网22| 香蕉伊蕉伊中文视频在线| 中文亚洲AV片不卡在线观看| 亚洲精品无码专区在线播放| 亚洲av无码不卡私人影院| 久久精品无码专区免费| 久久久久久国产精品无码下载| heyzo专区无码综合| 69ZXX少妇内射无码| 精品无码国产自产拍在线观看蜜 | 亚洲AV无码成H人在线观看| 久久人妻少妇嫩草AV无码蜜桃 | 中文字幕无码日韩专区| 中文字幕在线无码一区| 久久精品天天中文字幕人妻| 在线观看中文字幕| 熟妇人妻中文a∨无码| 亚洲国产精品无码一线岛国| 亚洲AV永久无码精品一百度影院|