Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Professors call for USC president to quit over accusations against campus doctor

    By Ai Heping in New York | China Daily USA | Updated: 2018-05-23 14:46
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    Two hundred faculty members at the University of Southern California have called on school President Max Nikias to step down following accusations of sexual misconduct against a former physician at the school's student health center.

    In a letter to the school's board of trustees, the faculty members said that he had "lost the moral authority to lead" in the wake of revelations that a campus gynecologist was kept on staff for decades despite repeated complaints of misconduct, the Los Angeles Times and NBC reported.

    The faculty members from 14 different schools within the university said that they had come together to "express our outrage and disappointment over the mounting evidence of President Nikias' failure to protect our students, our staff, and our colleagues from repeated and pervasive sexual harassment and misconduct." The letter said: "We call upon President Nikias to step aside, and upon the Board of Trustees to restore moral leadership to the university."

    USC issued a statement from Nikias in response on Tuesday. "I understand the faculty's anger and frustration. I have always encouraged our faculty to express their views and opinions on issues of critical importance," the statement reads. "They are core to the mission of this university and I am grateful for their contributions to the action plan we released today. I am committed to working with them as we implement this wide-reaching plan and to rebuilding their trust. We all deeply care about this university and we all need to work together to change the culture."

    On Tuesday, Nikias sent the campus community a 20-page action plan that he said was prepared at the request of trustees, according to the Times. It called for a wide rethinking of university ethics that will include a rewriting of USC's Code of Ethics and a new presidential commission on improving campus culture.

    USC Board of Trustees Chairman John Mork earlier released a statement saying he and others on its executive committee "strongly support" Nikias.

    There have been calls for Nikias' ouster on social media and in an online petition circulated by alumni since the Times last week detailed USC's handling of complaints about gynecologist Dr George Tyndall.

    The online petition started on May 17 by Rini Sampath, who graduated from USC in 2016, had more than 2,500 signatures as of Tuesday.

    Sampath said she wanted to see accountability at USC. "First and foremost, I want to see Nikias removed from office," Sampath told China Daily. "I also want the school administration and the Board of Trustees to launch a full investigation to see who else was involved in the cover-up of the scandal itself and figure out how we can hold them responsible."

    A Times report on May 16 revealed that Tyndall, 71, was accused by co-workers of exhibiting "creepy behaviors" toward female patients, including inappropriately photographing their genitals and touching them inappropriately during pelvic exams.

    The Times quoted former colleagues alleging that Tyndall targeted young women,especially those from China and other Asian countries, for exams that included

    inappropriate touching and lewd remarks about patients' sex lives and bodies.

    There are more than 5,400 overseas Chinese students (out of an enrollment close to 44,000 at the private university in Los Angeles), more than from any other foreign country.

    China Daily spoke to some Chinese students on the USC campus Tuesday.

    Xiaoying Pan, a doctoral candidate in civil engineering, said although each freshman needs to take mandatory online training about sexual assault prevention and campus safety, school leaders should open access for student to make complaints if things happen.

    Simone Shao, a fi rst-year graduate student, said female Chinese student victims probably think it's hard to express themselves and fi ght for their rights here.

    Zoe Zhang, who graduated from USC in 2017, said she chose to wait until a female doctor was vailable when she had her first gynecological exam at the USC Engemann Student Health Center last year.

    "Girls need to choose a female doctor, even if it means waiting for a few more days. If you see a male doctor, you should ensure a female nurse is in the same examination room with you. There's no need to put oneself in a risky situation," she said.

    The Chinese Consulate General in Los Angeles issued a public statement expressing

    "serious concerns" about USC's handling of the matter after the university admitted that the gynecologist continued working at the school.

    In the statement, the Chinese Consulate General in Los Angeles asked USC to "deal with the case in a serious manner, conduct an immediate investigation and take concrete measures to protect the Chinese students and scholars on campus from being harmed".

    On Monday, six women fi led civil lawsuits alleging that Tyndall sexually victimized them under the pretext of medical care and that USC failed to address complaints from clinic staff about the doctor's behavior.

    Tyndall, who worked at USC for 30 years, denied any wrongdoing in interviews with the Times.He defended his medical exams as thorough and appropriate,adding that frank and honest dialogue about sex lives was part of his way of treating late adolescents who were enrolled at USC.

    "I never had any sexual urges" toward patients, he told the newspaper.

    School administrators didn't suspend Tyndall until 2016 and didn't formally end his employment until June 2017, the newspaper said. USC brokered a secret deal that allowed Tyndall to resign with an undisclosed payout,according to the Times.

    The university didn't inform the California Medical Board, a state agency that licenses and regulates medical professionals, until March, the newspaper said.

    In addition to more transparency in sexual harassment cases,Sampath said the school also needs to provide more resources for student sexual assault survivors, such as opening a rape treatment center on campus.

    Liu Yinmeng in Los Angeles contributed to this story.

    Contact the writer at aiheping@chinadailyusa.com

     

     

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    日韩精品真人荷官无码| 在线精品无码字幕无码AV| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线r▽| 国产免费黄色无码视频| 精品无码免费专区毛片| 99久久无色码中文字幕| 无码色AV一二区在线播放| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区网站| 中文字幕日本在线观看| 亚洲精品无码成人片在线观看| 免费无码VA一区二区三区| 亚洲熟妇无码乱子AV电影| 国产欧美日韩中文字幕| 色吊丝中文字幕| 无码日韩人妻AV一区免费l| AV无码久久久久不卡蜜桃| 无码毛片视频一区二区本码| 日韩精品无码人妻一区二区三区 | 欧美日韩国产中文精品字幕自在自线| 日韩视频无码日韩视频又2021| 亚洲av永久无码精品秋霞电影影院 | 香蕉伊蕉伊中文视频在线| 亚洲人成无码www久久久| 少妇极品熟妇人妻无码| 国产成人无码精品久久久免费 | 波多野42部无码喷潮在线| 日韩人妻无码精品久久久不卡| 亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦在线观看| 国产成人麻豆亚洲综合无码精品| 人妻无码中文字幕免费视频蜜桃| 最近免费中文字幕mv电影| 久久无码AV中文出轨人妻| 亚洲一日韩欧美中文字幕欧美日韩在线精品一区二 | 特级做A爰片毛片免费看无码 | 亚洲日韩精品A∨片无码| 人妻系列AV无码专区| A级毛片无码久久精品免费| 亚洲欧洲精品无码AV| 亚洲动漫精品无码av天堂| 未满小14洗澡无码视频网站| 秋霞无码一区二区|