Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
    Business
    Home / Business / Highlights

    Latest tariff threat impact 'adverse'

    The Trump administration's threat to double down on a trade war by proposing now a 25 percent tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports would have a "highly adverse" impact and will end up hurting US families and workers, researchers and industry groups warned on Wednesday.

    By Zhao Huanxin in Washington | China Daily USA | Updated: 2018-08-02 22:41
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Parking is reserved for "farmers only" on July 6, 2017 in Harvard, Illinois, US. [Photo/VCG]

    Concerned reaction to White House floating 25% levy

    The Trump administration's threat to double down on a trade war by proposing now a 25 percent tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports would have a "highly adverse" impact and will end up hurting US families and workers, researchers and industry groups warned on Wednesday.

    US President Donald Trump has directed US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to consider increasing the proposed level of the additional duty from 10 percent to 25 percent, the USTR said in a statement on Wednesday.

    Lighthizer said that a public comment period for the $200 billion list would be extended to Sept 5 from Aug 30 due to the possible tariff-rate rise. Products to be targeted range from electrical machinery to leather goods to seafood.

    Earlier on Wednesday, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said that US "pressure and blackmail" on trade won't work.

    "If the US takes further steps to escalate trade frictions, China will inevitably come up with countermeasures to resolutely protect its legitimate rights," Geng told a news conference.

    Wednesday's tariff hike is 2 1/2 times the amount originally proposed, making it the same as the tariffs the US already imposed on $34 billion in Chinese goods and on another $16 billion in coming weeks.

    Much of American industry and many members of Trump's own Republican Party have expressed outrage but so far have not successfully thwarted Trump's trade policies, Agence-France Presse said in a report on Wednesday.

    Matthew Shay, president and CEO of the National Retail Federation, said increasing the the tariffs' bite will increase the harm that will be done to US families and workers.

    "These punitive tariffs will be passed along to US consumers and will undo all the positive gains the economy has made in recent months. Quite simply, there has been no better example of cutting off one's nose in order to spite the face," he said in a statement on Wednesday.

    Jake Colvin, vice-president of the National Foreign Trade Council, said the Trump administration could be boxing itself into a corner.

    "It's hard to see how this action lends itself towards a resolution to what is increasingly a trade crisis," Colvin was quoted by the AFP as saying.

    Jon Taylor, a professor of political science of the University of St. Thomas in Houston, said that if the trade war escalates, there is a good chance that China will retaliate by placing tariffs on US crude oil imports and mobile phone makers like Apple, and engage in public boycotts against American products.

    "No one will win through imposing tit-for-tat tariffs," Taylor said. "It's really up to the US to step away from the brink and spare China, the US and the world from a detrimental trade war."

    Gary Hufbauer, a nonresident senior fellow of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said there is a battle between the "hawks" and the "doves" within the Trump inner circle. For now, Trump is siding with the hawks as a tactic against China.

    The former deputy assistant secretary for international trade and investment policy of the US Treasury said the impact of the escalating tension is "highly adverse".

    "This will badly shake business confidence, and firms will delay their investment projects. The world economy will suffer," he told China Daily.

    Douglas H. Paal, vice-president of the Asia Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said the impact of jacking up the tariffs will raise costs in every direction and possibly leading to a "wrenching and costly" delinking of the US and Chinese economies.

    "I doubt there is a way out if the US cannot formulate policies, priorities, personnel and processes to arrive at a list of negotiable issues," Paal told China Daily. "(It) looks bad to me."

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    CLOSE
     
    精品人妻少妇嫩草AV无码专区| 一本大道久久东京热无码AV | 天堂а√中文最新版地址在线| 亚洲色无码专区在线观看| 最新中文字幕av无码专区| 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩蜜臀浪潮| 久热中文字幕无码视频| 国产∨亚洲V天堂无码久久久| 久久人妻无码中文字幕| 最好看的中文字幕最经典的中文字幕视频 | 日韩免费无码视频一区二区三区 | 暖暖日本免费中文字幕| 久久精品无码一区二区三区免费 | 色噜噜狠狠成人中文综合| 国产精品99无码一区二区| 亚洲AV日韩AV永久无码免下载| 日本久久中文字幕| 日本一区二区三区精品中文字幕| 色欲香天天综合网无码| 国产精品va无码一区二区| 亚洲爆乳无码专区| 一本一道av中文字幕无码| 中文字幕日本精品一区二区三区| 国偷自产短视频中文版| 亚洲?v无码国产在丝袜线观看| 国产AV无码专区亚汌A√| 精品久久久久久无码中文字幕一区| 中文字幕无码一区二区免费| 制服中文字幕一区二区| 中文字幕在线免费看线人| 在线免费中文字幕| 在线中文字幕播放| 中文字幕一区视频| 最近2019好看的中文字幕| 亚洲人成中文字幕在线观看| 人妻中文无码久热丝袜| 久久久久久久人妻无码中文字幕爆 | 亚洲精品无码专区2| 日韩经典精品无码一区| 无码AV一区二区三区无码 | 中文字字幕在线中文无码|