Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    Hundreds of thousands take to streets in London demanding second Brexit vote

    Updated: 2018-10-21 00:43
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Protesters participating in an anti-Brexit demonstration listen to a speaker in Parliament Square, central London, Britain October 20, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

    LONDON/BELFAST, Oct 20 - Hundreds of thousands of supporters of the European Union marched through London on Saturday in the biggest demonstration so far to demand that the British government holds a public vote on the terms of Brexit.

    The protesters waved the blue and gold flag of the EU and held up "Bollocks to Brexit" banners under sunny skies to call for another referendum on the eventual deal on how Britain will leave the world's biggest trading bloc.

    The march comes after another tumultuous week for Prime Minister Theresa May in which she failed to agree a divorce deal with EU leaders in Brussels and infuriated members of her own party by making further concessions in the talks.

    With just over five months until Britain is due to leave there is no clarity about what a future trade deal with the EU will look like and some rebels in May's Conservative Party have threatened to vote down a deal if she clinches one.

    James McGrory, one of the organisers of the march, said voters should have the chance to change their minds because the decision will impact their lives for generations.

    "People think the Brexit negotiations are a total mess, they have no faith in the government to deliver the promises that were made, partly because they cannot be delivered," he said.

    At the march, demonstrators carried placards saying "Brexit is pants", "Time for an EU turn" and "European and proud."

    Organisers said about 670,000 people took part in the march, which would make it the largest in Britain since a demonstration against the Iraq war in 2003.

    The "People's Vote" campaign, which includes several pro-EU groups, said they had stewards stationed at regular intervals to estimate the size of the crowd. The police did not provide an independent estimate of numbers participating.

    Protesters originally gathered near Hyde Park and then walked past Downing Street and finished outside parliament where they listened to politicians from all main political parties.

     

    BREXIT REVERSED?

    Britain's 2016 referendum saw 52 percent vote in favour of leaving the European Union. But the past two years have been politically fraught as the government has struggled to agree on a plan and there are fears that Britain could leave the bloc without a deal.

    Some opinion polls have shown a slight shift in favour of remaining in the European Union, but there has yet to be a decisive change in attitudes and many in Britain say they have become increasingly bored by Brexit.

    The prime minister has repeatedly ruled out holding a second referendum. The opposition Labour party's Brexit spokesman said last month his party open to a second referendum with the option of staying in the bloc in certain circumstances.

    In Belfast in Northern Ireland, around 2,000 people gathered on Saturday to oppose Brexit.

    Brendan Heading, a 39-year-old IT worker, said he was worried the decision to leave the EU would damage the economy and could lead to the break up of the United Kingdom.

    "I feel that Brexit threatens prosperity and stability," he said. "People should have the opportunity to vote for an alternative based on what we now know."

    Brexit supporters held their own rally in the town of Harrogate in the north of England.

    Richard Tice, Vice-Chairman of Leave Means Leave and one of the speakers at the event, described the people on the march in London as "losers" and said a second referendum would trigger a constitutional crisis.

    "We had a vote, we voted to leave, the idea to have a second referendum would be incredibly damaging," he said.

    "People need to be under no illusions as to how people feel about what is a significant potential for a total betrayal of democracy in this country." 

    Reuters

     

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲AV永久无码精品| 亚洲国产精彩中文乱码AV| 人妻中文字幕无码专区| 日韩av无码中文字幕| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区蜜桃| 日韩一本之道一区中文字幕| 日韩AV片无码一区二区不卡电影 | 亚洲av无码精品网站| 曰韩中文字幕在线中文字幕三级有码| 国产午夜鲁丝无码拍拍| 亚洲AV无码一区二区乱子伦 | 中文字幕在线观看国产| 无码精品日韩中文字幕| 亚洲av无码成人精品区| 50岁人妻丰满熟妇αv无码区 | 国产成人午夜无码电影在线观看| 中文字幕乱偷无码AV先锋| 中文字幕在线视频第一页| 欧美日韩亚洲中文字幕二区| 日韩久久久久久中文人妻 | 欧美精品丝袜久久久中文字幕| 中文字幕理伦午夜福利片| 日无码在线观看| 佐藤遥希在线播放一二区| 久久无码国产| 亚洲无码黄色网址| 中文字幕无码精品三级在线电影 | 中文字幕无码久久人妻| 亚洲午夜福利精品无码| 亚洲精品97久久中文字幕无码| 无码人妻AⅤ一区二区三区水密桃 无码欧精品亚洲日韩一区夜夜嗨 无码免费又爽又高潮喷水的视频 无码毛片一区二区三区中文字幕 无码毛片一区二区三区视频免费播放 | 国产成人无码免费看片软件| heyzo专区无码综合| 成人无码区在线观看| 久久久久无码精品国产app| 久久中文精品无码中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码之日韩精品| 中文在线天堂网WWW| 欧美成人中文字幕在线看| 久久久久精品国产亚洲AV无码| 人妻无码人妻有码中文字幕|