Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    London's underground hit by industrial action

    chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2018-11-08 01:13
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Travellers queue outside a underground station in London. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

    A 24-hour strike hit services on two of London's busiest underground train lines on Wednesday.

    The strikes being led by the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers and Aslef, the train drivers' union, disrupted commutes on the United Kingdom capital's Central line and its Waterloo & City line.

    Would-be travelers took to Twitter to post images of crowds queuing outside major stations, including Waterloo and Liverpool Street, and at bus stops in the hope of boarding extra buses laid on by Transport for London, which is also known as TfL.

    Travellers wait inside Liverpool Street Underground Station. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

    The strike focuses on TfL's refusal to reinstate two Central line drivers who were dismissed – one for failing a drugs test and the other for opening train doors while a carriage was inside a tunnel. The unions said the strikes are also about tackling underlying problems in their relationship with London Underground management, with the RMT union claiming industrial relations on the Central line are "at breaking point".

    Sign shows tube strike inside a underground station in London. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

    Nigel Holness, managing director of London Underground, said in a statement that the strike was "totally unjustifiable".

    Aslef said his comments were "a farrago of obfuscations and lies".

    A planned strike on the Piccadilly line was called off on Tuesday because progress had been made in negotiations

    Travellers wait for trains in a underground station in London. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

    Four additional TfL train lines, including the Circle and Metropolitan lines, were disrupted by suspensions of service or delays on Wednesday morning.

    Normal service on all lines is expected to resume on Thursday but Aslef's London Underground organizer, Fin Brennan, said strikes and disruption will continue unless "senior figures at TfL are prepared to change the culture at London Underground and start to treat staff with fairness and respect".

    Alexandra Boulton and Liang Yichen contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    日本中文字幕高清| 夜夜精品无码一区二区三区| 亚洲v国产v天堂a无码久久| 无码八A片人妻少妇久久| 丝袜熟女国偷自产中文字幕亚洲| 中文无码成人免费视频在线观看| 中文字幕乱妇无码AV在线| 国产AV一区二区三区无码野战| 久久亚洲AV成人无码| 日韩中文字幕在线播放| 亚洲成在人线在线播放无码| 无码国产精品一区二区免费vr| 中文字幕日韩欧美一区二区| 成人午夜精品无码区久久| 中文字幕人妻无码系列第三区| 中文字幕av无码一区二区三区电影 | 免费一区二区无码视频在线播放 | 无码H黄肉动漫在线观看网站| 国产成人一区二区三中文 | 精品无码久久久久久久久久| 亚洲VA中文字幕无码一二三区 | 最近免费字幕中文大全视频| 亚洲伊人成无码综合网| 无码丰满熟妇一区二区| h无码动漫在线观看| 国产久热精品无码激情| 无码免费一区二区三区免费播放 | 熟妇人妻中文av无码| 合区精品中文字幕| 中文字幕一区二区三区永久| 中文字幕在线观看亚洲| 中文字幕14页影音先锋| 日本久久中文字幕| 无码乱码av天堂一区二区| 久久精品aⅴ无码中文字字幕不卡| 日韩人妻无码一区二区三区综合部| 亚洲欧美精品一区久久中文字幕 | 亚洲AV无码乱码在线观看性色扶 | 精品久久久久久无码人妻蜜桃 | 国产激情无码视频在线播放性色| 久久精品无码午夜福利理论片|