Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    US considering adding Venezuela to terrorism sponsors list

    Updated: 2018-11-20 11:06
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    President Nicolas Maduro gives a speech on Aug 4, 2018 to commemorate the 81st anniversary of Venezuelan National Guard. [Photo/VCG]

    WASHINGTON - The United States is considering adding Venezuela to its list of state sponsors of terrorism but no final decision has been made, a person familiar with the deliberations said on Monday.

    Adding Venezuela to the list could limit US economic assistance and impose financial restrictions on a country already suffering from hyperinflation, mass migration and shortages of food and medicine.

    Discussions on the issue have moved forward in recent days with strong lobbying from Republican Senator Marco Rubio, who has long pressed the administration to take a tougher stand against the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, the source said.

    The Trump administration has levied several rounds of sanctions against Maduro's Socialist-led government since 2017, accusing it of undermining democracy. On Nov 1, President Donald Trump signed an executive order aimed a disrupting Venezuela's gold exports.

    Maduro, who denies limiting political freedoms, has said he is the victim of an "economic war" led by the United States.

    A time frame for a decision on whether to add Venezuela to the terrorism list had not yet been determined, the source said.

    The four countries currently on the list - North Korea, Iran, Sudan and Syria - have been found to "have repeatedly provided support for acts of international terrorism."

    The Washington Post, which first reported that the Trump administration was considering the designation, said the US State Department had been asking for feedback on the proposed move from various agencies in recent days.

    A State Department spokesperson said it "consistently and on an ongoing basis reviews available information and intelligence, from many sources, on possible state-level involvement in terrorism, evaluating all credible, verified, and corroborated information in its entirety."

    The White House declined to comment.

    A senior US official told Reuters earlier this month that the Trump administration was "looking at all potential avenues" to pressure Maduro's government.

    "We believe his presidency to be illegitimate," the official said, reiterating Washington's rejection of the outcome of Venezuela's elections earlier this year. Maduro won a new six-year term in May but his main rivals disavowed the election and alleged massive irregularities.

    "The regime really understands that the world is getting smaller for them. And that's the kind of pressure that is needed to really change minds in the regime. The sanctions are having an effect," the official said.

    Reuters

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    国产成年无码久久久久毛片| 中文无码熟妇人妻AV在线 | 精品无码久久久久久尤物| 欧美日韩v中文字幕| 无码人妻少妇伦在线电影| 日韩人妻无码精品一专区| 红桃AV一区二区三区在线无码AV| 中文字幕理伦午夜福利片| 在线a亚洲v天堂网2019无码| 中文字幕在线观看日本| 亚洲精品97久久中文字幕无码 | 无码性午夜视频在线观看| 最近高清中文在线国语字幕5| 国产强伦姧在线观看无码| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久2017| 日韩欧美成人免费中文字幕| 99高清中文字幕在线| 日韩成人无码中文字幕| 亚洲爆乳精品无码一区二区| av无码专区| 丰满少妇人妻无码| av区无码字幕中文色| 精品久久久久久无码中文字幕一区 | 亚洲中文字幕久久精品无码APP | 中文字幕久久亚洲一区| 中文网丁香综合网| 国产一区三区二区中文在线| 亚洲日本欧美日韩中文字幕| 熟妇人妻久久中文字幕| 日韩欧美群交P片內射中文| 中文字幕一区二区人妻| 波多野结衣中文字幕在线| 熟妇人妻久久中文字幕| a亚洲欧美中文日韩在线v日本| 最近2019年免费中文字幕高清| 亚洲第一中文字幕| 中文字幕亚洲无线码| 69堂人成无码免费视频果冻传媒| 久久亚洲日韩看片无码| 亚洲第一极品精品无码久久| 久久亚洲AV成人出白浆无码国产 |