Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    UK PM May and opposition leader agree to TV debate over Brexit

    Updated: 2018-11-27 18:59
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May and the leader of opposition Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn. [Photo/Agencies]

    LONDON - British Prime Minister Theresa May challenged opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to a live prime time television debate on Brexit days before a crunch parliamentary vote as she struggles to win support for the deal agreed with the European Union.

    May said the format of the debate would need to be decided by broadcasters. Corbyn's team swiftly accepted the offer, prompting demands from other parties and anti-Brexit groups to insist one of their supporters is allowed to take part.

    "I am going to be explaining why I think this deal is the right deal for the UK - and yes, I am ready to debate it with Jeremy Corbyn," May told the Sun newspaper. "Because I have got a plan. He hasn't got a plan."

    This would be the first time May has been willing to go head-to-head with the Labour leader in a live television debate after she refused to take part in any in the run-up to last year's general election.

    After securing a deal with the European Union at the weekend, May has launched a nationwide campaign to drum up support for her agreement, although she was left embarrassed after US President Donald Trump said it sounded like a good deal for the European Union.

    The odds look stacked against May winning parliamentary approval for her deal with criticism coming from all sides, including the Northern Irish party propping up her minority Conservative government.

    Leaders' debates have become a fixture of British politics over the past decade, with months spent trying to agree a debate format during the 2015 general election. Time pressure means political parties have a matter of days to come to an arrangement this time.

    May came in for heavy criticism during the 2017 snap general election for dodging direct TV debates with other party leaders and sending then interior minister Amber Rudd to take part instead.

    She later justified her decision, saying it was more important to take questions directly from the voters.

    The debate, if both sides can agree on the format, is expected to take place on Dec 9, two days before lawmakers vote on whether to support her deal, in one of parliament's most important moments in decades.

    Reuters

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    免费人妻无码不卡中文字幕系| 无码中文字幕日韩专区视频 | 精品亚洲成在人线AV无码| 国产成人午夜无码电影在线观看 | 精品久久久久久无码中文字幕 | 久久久人妻精品无码一区| 国产成人麻豆亚洲综合无码精品 | 亚洲中文字幕丝袜制服一区| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区国产| 午夜人性色福利无码视频在线观看| 色综合久久最新中文字幕| 日韩av片无码一区二区三区不卡| 亚洲国产无套无码av电影| 中文字幕日韩理论在线| 日韩欧美中文亚洲高清在线| 在线欧美中文字幕农村电影| 久久中文精品无码中文字幕| 国产成人AV片无码免费| 人妻精品久久无码专区精东影业| 亚洲AV无码乱码国产麻豆穿越| 中文字幕无码高清晰| 中文字幕久精品免费视频| 无码人妻一区二区三区精品视频| 97免费人妻无码视频| 50岁人妻丰满熟妇αv无码区| 国产精品无码A∨精品影院| 乱色精品无码一区二区国产盗| 台湾无码一区二区| 日韩人妻精品无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码AV男人的天堂| 亚洲A∨无码一区二区三区| 亚洲av无码一区二区乱子伦as| 亚洲精品色午夜无码专区日韩| 亚洲VA中文字幕无码一二三区 | 无码精品人妻一区二区三区中| 亚洲VA中文字幕不卡无码| 无码人妻精品一区二区三| 国产精品99精品无码视亚| 人妻无码久久精品| 日韩精品久久无码中文字幕| 天堂中文在线资源|