Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    UK suspends its 'gold-plated' visa program amid organized crime concerns

    By Earle Gale in London | China Daily UK | Updated: 2018-12-06 23:25
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    The British government is suspending its so-called "gold-plated" visa program in an attempt to crack down on financial crime and corruption.

    The Tier 1 investor visas were introduced in 2008 so wealthy people from outside the European Union could speedily navigate their way through the United Kingdom's visa system and settle in Great Britain.

    Participants were required to invest at least 2 million pounds ($2.5 million) in the UK economy and, after five years in the country, would qualify for "indefinite leave to remain". Those who invested 5 million pounds could apply for permanent residency after only three years, and a 10 million pound investment bought it after only two years.

    But the government says it fears the program could be used to launder illicit money and is bringing in changes to address the problem. The BBC said on Thursday the visas are likely to be re-launched in 2019.

    "We will not tolerate people who do not play by the rules and seek to abuse the system,"the UK's immigration minister, Caroline Nokes, told The Times newspaper when explaining the suspension that will be introduced at midnight on Friday. "That is why I am bringing forward these new measures which will make sure that only genuine investors, who intend to support UK businesses, can benefit from our immigration system."

    The Home Office said the re-launched Tier 1 visa program will include additional checks carried out by independent, regulated auditors into applicants' financial and business interests to ensure they have had control of the assets they will be investing for at least two years, and that they were legally obtained. Applicants will no longer be allowed to invest in government bonds but must plow their money into active and trading UK companies.

    The Guardian newspaper said the moves are aimed at combatting organized crime.

    The visas have been popular among the world's super-rich. More than 1,100 were issued in 2014, which was the program's busiest year so far. Most successful applicants have come from Russia and China.

    In July, figures for 2018 showed a 46 percent increase in applications compared to the previous year. And the South China Morning Post reported on Thursday that, in the year ending September 2018, more than 1,000 applications for the visa had been granted.

    Nokes said: "The UK will always be open to legitimate and genuine investors who are committed to helping our economy and businesses grow."

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲成?v人片天堂网无码| 亚洲国产精品无码中文字| 无码精品A∨在线观看| 最好看2019高清中文字幕| 精品久久久久久无码免费| 中文字幕日韩精品无码内射| 天堂а√在线中文在线| 97碰碰碰人妻视频无码| 婷婷四虎东京热无码群交双飞视频| 亚洲午夜福利精品无码| A级毛片无码久久精品免费| 午夜福利av无码一区二区| 中文无码精品一区二区三区| 亚洲中文字幕无码爆乳AV| 无码AV大香线蕉| 国产精品无码一区二区在线| 日韩精品无码一区二区三区不卡| 久久精品亚洲AV久久久无码| 最近中文字幕免费2019| 中文字幕日韩欧美一区二区三区| 中文字幕亚洲欧美日韩在线不卡| 国产V片在线播放免费无码| 精品国产v无码大片在线观看| 亚洲精品无码不卡在线播放HE| 玖玖资源站中文字幕在线| 最近中文字幕2019视频1| 久久精品亚洲乱码伦伦中文| av中文字幕在线| 最近中文字幕高清中文字幕无| 最近的中文字幕大全免费8| 国产中文字幕在线观看| 精品久久久久久无码中文字幕一区 | 日韩乱码人妻无码中文视频| 人妻少妇久久中文字幕一区二区| 99在线精品国自产拍中文字幕 | 亚洲熟妇无码八V在线播放| 97无码免费人妻超| 亚洲成a人无码av波多野按摩| 宅男在线国产精品无码| 波多野结衣中文在线播放| 亚洲久本草在线中文字幕|