Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    Opinion
    Home / Opinion / Editorials

    Online click bait behavior has to have a bottom line

    chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-07-14 21:46
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    [Photo/VCG]

    On July 4, a young girl, Zhang Zixin, was taken away from home by two "amicable" homestay guests, who invited her to "a wedding" as a flower girl.

    On Saturday, the 9-year-old was confirmed dead after her body was found in the sea dozens of miles from her home.

    The two guests apparently committed suicide on July 8.

    In this age of social media madness, a tragedy like this, wrapped in mystery and suspense, has little chance of escaping those hungry for sensationalism. Those for whom such a tragedy is click bait.

    Such indecency is often associated with amoral web attention-seekers. This time, however, it was, not for the first time, Baidu, the largest domestic search engine operator, that was caught red-handed.

    Information available so far indicates that, the website's news channel set up an account in the name of the young victim's father, releasing information on the search for the girl after her father lost contact with her and reported her missing to the police.

    Baidu did not reveal it was not the little girl's father who was speaking until concerned followers of the account questioned the authenticity of the contents posted.

    Under pressure, Baidu said it fired the news editor who created the account, but insisted it got consent from the victim's father, and meant to help.

    What Baidu did was more likely than not a desperate move to stay relevant in the domestic internet market, where it has been on the losing side.

    Baidu enjoys a de facto monopoly in the Chinese online searching market. But it has abused that position and hence has a credibility crisis.

    Its notorious business model which puts those who pay more higher in its search results, drew public indignation nationwide for misleading users. At the peak of which the death of a young patient seeking online information for his treatment was widely attributed to Baidu's misleading role.

    After that, search results on Baidu were found flooded with messages promoting the company's own products, leading users to declare "Baidu as a search engine has died".

    Baidu does not want to die. And is striving hard to stay relevant.

    But without learning some corporate ethics, it can at best be said to be among the walking dead.

    And unfortunately, we have to say this is only the tip of the iceberg of this country's worrisome online public sphere at present.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    中文字幕在线看视频一区二区三区 | 最近中文字幕完整免费视频ww| 最新高清无码专区| 亚洲天堂2017无码中文| 亚洲AV成人无码久久精品老人| 日本乱中文字幕系列| 久久99久久无码毛片一区二区 | 亚洲av无码一区二区三区乱子伦| 五月天中文字幕mv在线| 无码人妻AV一二区二区三区| 久久久久无码国产精品不卡| 国产成人无码一区二区三区在线| 中文字幕在线无码一区二区三区| 亚洲av激情无码专区在线播放| 久久男人中文字幕资源站| 亚洲精品国产日韩无码AV永久免费网| 亚洲AV无码一区东京热| 亚洲美日韩Av中文字幕无码久久久妻妇| 久久激情亚洲精品无码?V| 未满小14洗澡无码视频网站| 亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦| 久久精品中文字幕久久| 中文字幕无码日韩专区免费| 丰满人妻AV无码一区二区三区| 少妇人妻偷人精品无码视频新浪 | 视频一区中文字幕| 人妻无码人妻有码中文字幕| 国产精品无码一区二区三级 | 国产精品无码专区| 亚洲AV无码久久精品成人| 中文字幕久久精品无码| 最新无码A∨在线观看| 国产成人无码精品久久久性色| 日韩人妻无码精品系列| 日韩AV高清无码| 亚洲级αV无码毛片久久精品| 韩国19禁无遮挡啪啪无码网站| 国产亚洲精久久久久久无码77777| 久久e热在这里只有国产中文精品99 | 中文午夜乱理片无码| 一本色道无码不卡在线观看 |