Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    China
    Home / China / HK Macao

    Biased media coverage about HK police fueling violence by the young, experts say

    By ZHAO RUINAN in Hong Kong | China Daily Global | Updated: 2019-12-13 09:15
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A rioter throws a rock from a footbridge near the City University of Hong Kong in the city's Kowloon Tong area on Nov 12, 2019. REUTERS

    Educational and legal experts in Hong Kong said that biased reports about the police and insufficient education about the rule of law and national identity have contributed to the surging number of violent acts by the city's young.

    The remarks came after the Hong Kong Police Force revealed earlier this week that students have accounted for nearly 40 percent of the 6,022 arrests related to the anti-government demonstrations since June 9. The youngest of those arrested was only 11.

    On Tuesday, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor also expressed her deep concerns over violence spreading to the city's schools, saying the high participation of young students in the monthslong turmoil has been "very worrying".

    A day before her remarks, Hong Kong police seized two "fully functional" home-made bombs in a secondary school.

    Ho Hon-kuen, chairman of the professional association Education Convergence, said that young students are easily influenced by the biased political speeches on campuses, as radicals have infiltrated universities and secondary schools.

    During the half year of social unrest, radical protesters, comprising mainly young people, stormed the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and defaced the national emblem. Enterprises that have links with Chinese mainland have been vandalized. Offensive graffiti targeting the central government, the Communist Party of China and people from the mainland have been sprayed at various locations.

    But the real reason behind the scenes is young people's lack of "national identity", Ho said.

    A 2018 survey conducted by the Education University of Hong Kong showed that only three in ten secondary students in Hong Kong have a national identity issue.

    Ho blamed the city's education system for the "national identity crisis".

    In Hong Kong, liberal studies was included as a compulsory course for senior high school students a decade ago. In 2012, it was included in the city's college entrance exam system, along with Chinese, mathematics and English.

    Currently in Hong Kong, there are no standardized textbooks for liberal studies. Teachers are free to produce their own teaching manuscripts, which gives the teacher a dominating role on what to teach.

    Ho urged the HKSAR government to work with the central government and social organizations to enhance education on history, culture and basic conditions in the country.

    For example, Ho said, in addition to natural science funds, the central government should allocate funds for projects on Chinese culture education, encouraging teachers and students in the SAR to get well-versed in Chinese culture.

    Meanwhile, educators should bear in mind that under the "one country, two systems" principle, "one country" always comes first, Ho added.

    Adding to the city's woes is the one-sided coverage about the Hong Kong Police Force by Western media and some local news outlets, according to Wong Kwan-yu, president of the Hong Kong Federation of Education Workers.

    Wong said these biased and inaccurate reports fuel young people's anti-police sentiments and incite them to vent their anger on the front-line officers through violence.

    In August, CNN posted a news story on its website that accused the Hong Kong police officers of throwing gasoline bombs at protesters in Tsuen Wan. But the bombs, as seen later in a video clip, were hurled by radicals at a police officer.

    Kong Wing-cheung, senior superintendent of the police, public relations branch, denounced the report, saying that any attempts to conceal the violence of protesters by lying are doomed to fail. CNN later conceded the news story was "erroneous" and dropped it.

    Such unfair reporting could give young students a wrong impression about the police and, even worse, the city's legal system, Wong said.

    He also said educators in school are responsible for teaching students to make a clear distinction between right and wrong, in other words, to respect the rule of law.

    "Young students should hold to the bottom line of the law and get their demands met in a peaceful way. Violence cannot address any problems," he said.

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
     
    亚洲AⅤ无码一区二区三区在线 | 亚洲人成无码www久久久| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕视频 | 日韩人妻无码一区二区三区久久| 日本公妇在线观看中文版| 无码少妇一区二区性色AV| 日本欧美亚洲中文| 亚洲欧美综合中文| 久久av高潮av无码av喷吹| 无码国内精品人妻少妇蜜桃视频| 日韩区欧美区中文字幕| 精品久久久无码人妻中文字幕| 99无码熟妇丰满人妻啪啪| 亚洲第一极品精品无码久久| 在线观看中文字幕码| 暖暖免费日本在线中文| 亚洲综合中文字幕无线码| 久久久久无码国产精品不卡| 无码国产69精品久久久久网站| 熟妇人妻系列av无码一区二区| 最近中文国语字幕在线播放| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久精品1 | 人妻少妇看A偷人无码精品| 免费A级毛片无码A∨中文字幕下载 | 一夲道无码人妻精品一区二区| 亚洲日韩AV一区二区三区中文| 中文精品无码中文字幕无码专区| 亚洲精品无码久久久久AV麻豆| 无码毛片一区二区三区视频免费播放| 狠狠躁天天躁无码中文字幕| 蜜芽亚洲av无码精品色午夜| 无码精品视频一区二区三区 | 国产激情无码一区二区三区| 国产精品亚洲аv无码播放| 精品无码人妻一区二区免费蜜桃| 国产AV无码专区亚汌A√| av一区二区人妻无码| 狠狠精品干练久久久无码中文字幕 | 亚洲欧美精品一中文字幕| 日韩欧美群交P片內射中文| 欧美精品中文字幕亚洲专区|