Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    China
    Home / China / HK Macao

    Beijing's backing 'sends clear message to rioters'

    By Zhao Ruinan in Hong Kong | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-12-17 14:30
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    President Xi Jinping meets with Chief Executive of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Carrie Lam Cheng Yuetngor, who is visiting Beijing to deliver her annual work report to the president, on Dec 16, 2019. [Photo/Xinhua]

    President Xi Jinping's firm support of Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor and the Hong Kong community, which Xi expressed in his meeting with Lam in Beijing, conveys an "encouraging message" to the SAR government and local communities as they unite to battle violence in the city, political experts in the city said.

    The comments came on Monday after the president praised Lam's courage and commitment, and voiced the central government's full support of the city's efforts to curb the violence and restore social order.

    Lau Siu-kai, vice-president of the Chinese Association of Hong Kong and Macao Studies, a leading think tank on Hong Kong affairs, said Xi's affirmation of Lam and the HKSAR government boosts the confidence and morale of the Hong Kong community as it seeks to end violence and restore order.

    In the veteran political pundit's opinion, Xi's remarks, which emphasized the central government's firm stance on Hong Kong issues, which were in line with his remarks about the SAR made during the BRICS Summit in Brazil last month, show the central government's unswerving resolution to safeguard national security and the "one country, two systems" principle.

    The city has been in turmoil since June, with more than 6,000 people arrested during the nearly 1,000 anti-government protests.

    Xi's strong stance will send out a warning to rioters to stop stirring up trouble, and in the meantime, it sounded a clarion call for the city's patriotic forces to stand united to make a way out for Hong Kong and safeguard "one country, two systems", Lau said.

    The central government will not give in to the challenges to the "one country, two systems" principle by foreign forces and separatists at home, nor will the central government give up on "one country, two systems" because of the current unrest in Hong Kong, he added.

    Earlier Monday, Premier Li Ke-qiang also met Lam, saying the central government "fully acknowledges" the efforts made by the HKSAR. But Li also noted the harm the six-month-long unrest has done to the city's social and economic development, and urged continuous efforts by the SAR government to end the chaos and restore social order. During the meeting, Lam asked the central government to lend a helping hand to Hong Kong's development in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and the Belt and Road Initiative.

    Ronny Tong Ka-wah, a member of the Executive Council — the chief executive's policy advisory body — said the government should continue to explore feasible measures on its own to quell the violence and bring the city back on track, and the central government can only provide directional guidance to the HKSAR government.

    Li's remarks show the central government is genuinely concerned about the current situation of Hong Kong and clearly understands what is happening in the city, Tong said.

    The central government's acknowledgment of the SAR government's efforts and firm support of the city's police force will help Hong Kong bring the violence and chaos to an end and restore order, he added.

    Echoing Tong's comments were Tam Yiu-chung, a Hong Kong deputy to the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, who also stressed that the disturbance has dragged the city into a recession.

    For example, he said, the city's tourism has suffered a huge blow during the anti-government protests.

    According to latest figures from Hong Kong Tourism Board, the city received 3.31 million visitors in October, a slump of 43.7 percent from the same period in 2018.

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
     
    亚洲成a人片在线观看无码| 久久精品无码一区二区日韩AV | 亚洲一区日韩高清中文字幕亚洲| 人妻中文字系列无码专区| 亚洲国产中文v高清在线观看| 无码色AV一二区在线播放| 人妻av无码一区二区三区| 日韩人妻无码一区二区三区久久99 | 日韩美无码五月天| 无码人妻少妇久久中文字幕蜜桃| 欧美日韩中文字幕在线| 亚洲va中文字幕无码久久不卡| 91久久精品无码一区二区毛片| 午夜不卡无码中文字幕影院| 无码夫の前で人妻を侵犯 | 日韩免费码中文在线观看| 中文字幕久久精品无码| 无码精品人妻一区二区三区AV| 精品久久久久久无码专区不卡| 亚洲av无码国产精品夜色午夜| 免费无码国产欧美久久18| 久久有码中文字幕| 国产高清中文欧美| 最近免费中文字幕大全高清大全1| 亚洲中文字幕在线观看| 中文字幕乱码无码人妻系列蜜桃| 亚洲爆乳精品无码一区二区| 日韩精品无码免费视频| 久久精品无码免费不卡| 日韩专区无码人妻| 亚洲人成无码久久电影网站| 一本之道高清无码视频| 亚洲中文字幕无码永久在线| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线播放| 熟妇人妻中文字幕无码老熟妇| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕| 亚洲天堂中文资源| 熟妇人妻中文a∨无码| 亚洲AV综合色区无码另类小说| 无码毛片视频一区二区本码| 国产爆乳无码一区二区麻豆|