Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    Opinion
    Home / Opinion / Chen Weihua

    UK should reject US demand to ban Huawei from 5G network

    By Chen Weihua | China Daily | Updated: 2020-01-17 08:18
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    [Photo/IC]

    The US administration is truly exceptional when it comes to coercive foreign policy that threatens other countries' sovereign decision-making. Senior US officials have made multiple trips to Europe to tell US allies to exclude Chinese telecommunications equipment maker Huawei from their 5G networks, or face severe consequences such as the US not sharing intelligence with them.

    When such a strategy failed to achieve the desired results, the US administration sent another team to the United Kingdom this week, led by deputy National Security Advisor Matt Pottinger, in a last-ditch bid to intimidate a key member of the "Five Eyes" weeks before it makes a final decision on the UK's 5G network.

    The US seems to believe that countries such as the UK are incapable of making their own informed decisions. Which is an insult to these countries.

    The desperate move this week was made at a bad time for the US. Andrew Parker, the MI5 chief, told The Financial Times that he has "no reason to think" that the UK's intelligence-sharing relationship with the US would suffer if the UK adopted Huawei's 5G technology. The UK's intelligence agencies have long argued that any risks from Huawei can be managed.

    In an interview with BBC on Tuesday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson challenged the reports in which US officials claimed that it "would be madness" for the UK to use Huawei 5G technology. He said "the British public deserve to have access to the best possible technology… we want to put in gigabit broadband for everybody. If people oppose one brand or another, then they have to tell us, 'what is the alternative?'"

    There is a wide consensus among European mobile phone and service companies that Huawei's 5G technology and equipment are the cheapest and the most advanced. Former British digital minister Margot James had also said that it would be possible to reduce the security risks associated with Huawei to an "acceptable level". She indicated that Johnson knows how important improving connectivity is and will put the UK's interest first instead of only appeasing the US.

    Huawei has worked with its European partners to mitigate security risks. It launched a cybersecurity center in Banbury in southern England in 2010, and pledged $2 billion in 2018 to fix security holes in its products. In May last year, Huawei opened its cybersecurity transparency center in Brussels as a platform to communicate and collaborate with European players on digital age development and security.

    Major European countries such as France, Germany, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands have so far refused to impose a blanket ban on Huawei.

    However, a partial ban to exclude Huawei from "core" parts is nothing but kowtowing to the US' coercive tactics. A report in The Guardian on Sunday said that some senior UK ministers have been heavily lobbied by their US counterparts.

    The UK may be a close US ally, but US-UK relations appear to have deteriorated fast. British Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said days ago that the UK must be prepared to fight wars without US as its key ally.

    The US delegation was said to give the UK a dossier of Huawei security risks. Which reminded people of the moment when former US secretary of state Colin Power held a model vial of anthrax at the United Nations in 2003 to dupe countries, including the UK, into helping the US launch the disastrous Iraq War.

    US accusations against Huawei are based purely on speculation, not solid facts. The UK and other countries should totally reject such fear-mongering, so they can roll out their 5G strategies as soon as possible to the great benefit of their people.

    The author is chief of China Daily EU Bureau based in Brussels.

    chenweihua@chinadaily.com.cn

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    免费无遮挡无码永久视频| 99久久中文字幕| 天堂网www中文在线资源| 国产网红无码精品视频| 亚洲中文字幕无码爆乳av中文| 少妇中文无码高清| 无码一区二区三区在线观看| 久久精品一区二区三区中文字幕| 亚洲人成影院在线无码观看| 免费A级毛片av无码| 国产综合无码一区二区辣椒| 中文www新版资源在线| 久久无码AV中文出轨人妻| 国产精品无码a∨精品| 无码日韩人妻精品久久蜜桃| 国产色无码专区在线观看| 亚洲第一中文字幕| 国产成人三级经典中文| 中中文字幕亚洲无线码| 无码日韩人妻AV一区免费l| 国产精品成人无码久久久久久 | 亚洲AV无码不卡在线播放| 亚洲看片无码在线视频| 精品久久久久中文字| 国产资源网中文最新版| 色综合久久中文综合网| 国产成人三级经典中文| 人妻中文字幕乱人伦在线| 中文精品无码中文字幕无码专区| 亚洲AV无码乱码在线观看性色扶| 久久久久久亚洲精品无码| 色欲香天天综合网无码| 亚洲AV无码AV男人的天堂不卡| 精品久久久久久无码中文字幕| 高清无码在线视频| 午夜无码视频一区二区三区| 国产精品中文久久久久久久| 中文字幕久久波多野结衣av| 久久婷婷综合中文字幕| 久久伊人中文无码| 日韩AV高清无码|