Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
    China
    Home / China / HK Macao

    Organizer arrested after HK rally turns violent

    By China Daily & Agencies | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-01-21 09:55
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A woman walks past a tram station in Central district, previously vandalized by anti-government protesters in Hong Kong, on January 19, 2020. [PHILIP FONG / AFP]

    HONG KONG - A Hong Kong anti-government activist was arrested by police, his organization said on Monday, after a protest he helped organize in the financial district a day earlier turned violent with officers firing tear gas to disperse the crowds.

    Ventus Lau was arrested on Sunday evening on charges of "obstruction of police administration" and violating terms set when permission was granted for the protest, the Hong Kong Civil Assembly Team said in a statement.

    The organizers initially applied for a permit - known as a letter of no objection - for a march, but police only agreed to a static rally in a park in the city's Central district.

    But as the crowds swelled and spilled onto surrounding streets, some protesters briefly barricaded roads with umbrellas, traffic cones and other street furniture and dug up bricks from the pavement.

    Police then ordered a halt to the rally and began dispersing the crowd. "It was primarily rioters' violent acts which led to the suspension of the gathering," Senior Superintendent Ng Lok-chun told reporters.

    "The organizer has violated the agreements set in the no objection letter, failed to assist in maintaining the order in the public gathering event, that is why we have arrested Mr Lau."

    Police said two community liaison officers were attacked with wooden sticks and sustained head injuries. They also said some protesters threw water bottles at officers conducting a "stop and search" operation.

    In a statement late on Sunday, the government said it "strongly condemns" the attack on the police officers.

    Hong Kong's junior police officers group condemned the organizer, Lau, as "irresponsible" and said his alleged abetment of the attack on two police officers liaising with him was despicable.

    Lam Chi-wai, chairman of Junior Police Officers' Association, said in a statement on Monday that it was a person acquainted with the officers who had instigated the attacks.

    These attacks have destroyed the trust between police liaison officers and residents, said Lam in the statement, adding that the rally organizer had been incapable of maintaining order.

    In all, four officers were assaulted on Sunday and suffered head injuries and finger fractures. Two of them remained in hospital for treatment as of Monday noon, according to police.

    With inputs from Jeffery Gu

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
     
    中文无码人妻有码人妻中文字幕| 日韩精品久久无码中文字幕 | 最近最新免费中文字幕高清 | 波多野结衣在线中文| 中文字幕丰满乱孑伦无码专区| 中文字幕精品无码久久久久久3D日动漫| 丰满人妻AV无码一区二区三区| 97无码免费人妻超级碰碰夜夜| 少妇极品熟妇人妻无码| 最新中文字幕av无码专区| 中文字幕免费视频| 无码精品国产dvd在线观看9久| 亚洲日韩国产AV无码无码精品| 日韩爆乳一区二区无码| 一本大道久久东京热无码AV| а天堂中文最新版在线| 最新高清无码专区| 久久久久久久亚洲Av无码| 久久精品无码av| 日本中文字幕电影| 亚洲日韩精品无码专区网址 | 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩软件| 中文字幕VA一区二区三区| 中文字幕无码av激情不卡久久| 无码一区二区三区视频| 午夜无码一区二区三区在线观看| 欧美中文字幕无线码视频| 人妻中文字系列无码专区| 欧美日本道中文高清| 免费A级毛片无码A∨免费| av无码久久久久不卡免费网站| 99re热这里只有精品视频中文字幕| 亚洲欧洲无码AV电影在线观看| 亚洲国产综合无码一区二区二三区 | √天堂中文www官网在线| 无码成A毛片免费| 无码人妻精品中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码国产精品麻豆天美 | 免费a级毛片无码免费视频| 最近免费视频中文字幕大全| 国产亚洲精久久久久久无码|