Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    Business
    Home / Business / Industries

    On-demand food delivery helps boost catering sector

    By Fan Feifei | China Daily | Updated: 2020-04-21 09:35
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A restaurant employee (left) hands over a food parcel to a Ele.me deliveryman outside a shopping center in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, on March 12. [Photo/Xinhua]

    On-demand food delivery platforms are playing a vital role in helping the catering industry resume normal operations and accelerate its digitalization push, as brick-and-mortar businesses such as restaurants and cafes have been hit hard by the novel coronavirus outbreak.

    Statistics from Ele.me and Koubei, a unit of Chinese tech titan Alibaba Group Holding Ltd, said orders and transaction volumes have seen steady growth along with the restoration of normal work and production in various industries.

    Takeout orders from more than 80,000 hotpot restaurants across the nation between March 18 and April 6 surpassed levels just before the epidemic began, while sales at over 60,000 dedicated milk tea shops have returned to normal levels or even increased.

    Over the period, in terms of in-store purchases, hotpot orders grew tenfold and barbecue restaurant sales jumped nearly sevenfold versus pre-outbreak period.

    In addition, on March 18, milk tea maker Nayuki opened an official virtual store on Tmall-the business-to-consumer arm of Alibaba-with followers rising to more than 80,000 as of Thursday.

    The catering industry has faced great challenges as a large part of the population have been confined indoors due to restrictions meant to contain the spread of the virus.

    Wang Lei, president of Ele.me and Koubei, said the epidemic has greatly accelerated the digitalization push of the services sector, and the Alibaba unit will provide online merchants with more traffic, lower commissions and better services.

    The company rolled out a string of measures to help online merchants alleviate pressure caused by the tough situation resulting from the pandemic. It will empower 1 million merchants on the platforms to upgrade their digital solutions, with commission fees to remain 3 to 5 percent lower than the industry average.

    They have purchased nearly 40,000 outdoor ads, 100,000 hotel TV ads and 4.8 million internet TV ads in 80 key markets nationwide, all of which will be provided to small and medium-sized catering merchants free of charge, in a bid to help them tide over difficulties.

    So far, more than 300,000 merchants have had their commissions slashed, and over 10,000 merchants have received low-interest loans and special subsidies ranging from 5,000 yuan ($707) to 50 million yuan. Over 200,000 businesses have launched food delivery services on the platforms including Quanjude, one of the most celebrated Peking duck restaurants, according to Ele.me and Koubei.

    "The value of third-party online food delivery platforms is more prominent and they have become an antidote to relieve the crisis of offline catering merchants during the contagion period," said Chen Liteng, an analyst at the Internet Economy Institute, a domestic consultancy.

    Chen said on-demand delivery services guarantee the daily needs of consumers, and the emergence of noncontact delivery and intelligent drop-off shelves efficiently resolved human-to-human contact concerns amid the COVID-19 threat.

    Meituan Dianping, another food delivery and lifestyle services platform, said Shenzhen and Guangzhou in Guangdong province; Beijing; Shanghai and Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, were the top five cities with the highest takeout orders since the recent resumption of work and production.

    Yang Xu of consultancy Analysys said that as on-site dining at restaurants hasn't fully recovered, third-party takeout platforms are making contributions to the normal restoration of the catering sector and helping mitigate adverse effects of the outbreak.

    A report by market consultancy iiMedia Research said that due to the pandemic, total revenue in the country's catering sector plummeted 43.1 percent year-on-year to 419.4 billion yuan from January to February.

    About 95 percent of caterers surveyed showed a significant decline in revenue during the outbreak. Third-party food delivery platforms have thus become critical for many merchants, according to the report.

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    CLOSE
     
    亚洲av永久无码精品表情包| 暖暖日本中文视频| 亚洲中文字幕视频国产| 久久99久久无码毛片一区二区| 午夜无码中文字幕在线播放| 无码人妻一区二区三区免费视频 | 久久无码AV一区二区三区| 亚洲欧美中文字幕高清在线| 精品无码AV一区二区三区不卡| 久久亚洲AV无码精品色午夜麻豆 | 中文字幕一区二区人妻| 国产午夜精品无码| 无码人妻精品一区二区三18禁| 无码人妻少妇久久中文字幕| 日本aⅴ精品中文字幕| 中文字幕在线无码一区| 久久亚洲AV成人出白浆无码国产| 国产成人无码av| 中文字幕日韩欧美| 久久丝袜精品中文字幕| a亚洲欧美中文日韩在线v日本| 中文字幕人妻无码专区| 亚洲中文字幕AV在天堂| 下载天堂国产AV成人无码精品网站| 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩蜜臀浪潮| 亚洲国产精品无码久久久不卡 | 无码人妻精品一区二区三区蜜桃 | 伊人久久精品无码av一区| 成人麻豆日韩在无码视频| 一二三四在线观看免费中文在线观看 | 中文字幕无码无码专区| 毛片一区二区三区无码| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕视频| 成人无码视频97免费| 超清无码一区二区三区| 精品人体无码一区二区三区| 国产精品无码永久免费888 | 亚洲人成影院在线无码观看| 中文 在线 日韩 亚洲 欧美| 欧美人妻aⅴ中文字幕| 亚洲成A人片在线观看中文|