Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    Russian PM tested positive as cases jump

    CHINA DAILY/Xinhua | Updated: 2020-05-02 07:09
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Russian President Vladimir Putin holds a videoconference with Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin at his residence in Novo-Ogaryovo outside Moscow on Thursday. Mishustin said he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus. ALEXEI DRUZHININ/AP

    Russia on Friday reported a record daily rise in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases, a day after Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin announced he had been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus.

    Mishustin, 54, said during a videoconference on Thursday that his latest coronavirus tests came back positive, and he needs to "self-isolate, and follow doctors' instructions".

    President Vladimir Putin, who was taking part in the videoconference with the prime minister, sighed when he heard the news and wished Mishustin a speedy recovery.

    Putin also approved Mishustin's suggestion that First Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov serve as acting prime minister during his absence.

    Russia's nationwide total of cases rose by 7,933 cases and now stands at 114,431, with 13,220 recoveries and 1,169 deaths.

    Nevertheless, World Health Organization representative to Russia Melita Vujnovic said that it might be possible for the Russian government to ease lockdown measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus in two weeks.

    In Britain, Prime Minister Boris Johnson led the government's daily novel coronavirus briefing for the first time in five weeks on Thursday, when he said the nation was "past the peak of this disease" and that it was "on the downward slope".

    After recovering from a COVID-19 infection, Johnson said that a plan for easing the lockdown will come next week. He added that the "entire country" is rising to a challenge "not seen in our lifetimes".

    Johnson emphasized that avoiding a second spike of infections could cause "lasting economic damage" and so the government will need to "unlock the economy gradually". He added that he thinks the economy will "bounce back strongly".

    The latest figures show 26,711 people in the UK have died from the coronavirus, and more than 172,000 were infected.

    Elsewhere in Europe, German authorities on Thursday agreed to reopen playgrounds, churches and cultural institutions such as museums and zoos that have been shuttered because of the pandemic, but they postponed a decision on whether to relax the rules for restaurants, hotels and kindergartens.

    German Chancellor Angela Merkel said while there would be regional differences because of Germany's federal structure, the overall goal remains ensuring the health system can cope with the country's outbreak.

    Germany has recorded more than 162,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 6,563 deaths.

    Merkel said the federal and state governments wouldn't make a decision on reopening hotels and restaurants at their next meeting next Wednesday, which will focus on further relaxing the rules for schools, childcare centers and sports facilities.

    Federal and state authorities also agreed on Thursday to extend a ban on large sports events, concerts and festivals until at least Aug 31.

    In Ireland, Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said on Thursday his government is developing a plan to gradually ease the restrictions.

    Changes will be made every two to four weeks, he said, adding the government would intervene if things are "going off track".

    Across the Atlantic in the United States, the White House let its two-week-old economic reopening guidelines expire on Thursday as half of all US states forged ahead with their own strategies for easing restrictions on restaurants, retail and other businesses shuttered by the coronavirus outbreak.

    The enormous pressure on states to reopen, despite a lack of wide-scale virus testing and other safeguards urged by health experts, was highlighted in new Labor Department data.

    The number showed that more than 30 million people in the US have applied for jobless claims during the six-week period since mid-March, indicating the ballooning economic cost of COVID-19 shutdowns and pointing to a deepening recession.

    Meanwhile, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday that US state and local governments could need close to $1 trillion in aid over several years to cope with the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic.

    "We're not going to be able to cover all of it, but to the extent that we can keep the states and localities sustainable, that's our goal," Pelosi said.

    By Thursday, the number of known infections in the US had climbed to well over 1 million, including more than 62,000 deaths.

    Ren Qi in Moscow, Jonathan Powell in London, Liu Xuan in Beijing, Xinhua and agencies contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲AV无码乱码在线观看裸奔 | 人妻无码αv中文字幕久久| 亚洲VA中文字幕不卡无码| 中文字幕乱码人妻无码久久 | 久久精品无码专区免费青青| 中文字幕亚洲第一在线| 一本大道久久东京热无码AV | 亚洲AⅤ无码一区二区三区在线| 在线观看免费无码专区| 中文精品久久久久国产网址| 日产无码1区2区在线观看| 无码成A毛片免费| 国产成人无码一区二区在线观看| 色欲狠狠躁天天躁无码中文字幕| 久久av高潮av无码av喷吹 | 人妻精品久久无码区| AV色欲无码人妻中文字幕| 中文字幕二区三区| 亚洲色中文字幕无码AV| 无码人妻精品中文字幕免费东京热| 国产成人AV无码精品| 国产拍拍拍无码视频免费| 无码性午夜视频在线观看| 中文字幕人妻无码一夲道| 最好看的电影2019中文字幕 | 在线中文字幕精品第5页| 暖暖日本免费中文字幕| 亚洲一区二区三区无码中文字幕 | 久久精品中文无码资源站| 无码精品日韩中文字幕| 无码人妻丰满熟妇区免费| 亚洲va无码手机在线电影| 欧美日韩毛片熟妇有码无码 | 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线播放| 亚洲日产无码中文字幕| 亚洲av无码一区二区乱子伦as| 亚洲精品无码专区久久久| 亚洲av无码专区在线播放| 人妻中文字幕无码专区| a最新无码国产在线视频| 人妻少妇精品无码专区动漫|