Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Newsmakers

    World leaders will not be in NY for this year's General Debate: UN

    Xinhua | Updated: 2020-06-18 14:59
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    File photo: the General Debate of the 74th session of the UNGA in 2019. [Photo/IC]

    UNITED NATIONS - UN General Assembly President Tijjani Muhammad-Bande has proposed that heads of state and government as well as ministers not be in New York for the high-level week of this year's General Assembly as a result of COVID-19.

    Muhammad-Bande has circulated his proposals to member states and is seeking feedback, said Reem Abaza, his spokeswoman, on Wednesday.

    Muhammad-Bande has proposed that only the president of the General Assembly and the United Nations (UN) secretary-general will be delivering live speeches in the General Assembly Hall for the opening of the General Debate, which is scheduled for Sept 22-29, Abaza told a virtual press briefing.

    During the General Debate, heads of state and government, or ministers, will not travel to New York to address the General Assembly. Instead, they will have their pre-recorded video statements played on the screens of the General Assembly Hall, she said.

    The world leaders are asked to limit their video statements to no longer than 15 minutes and submit them five days in advance.

    Abaza explained that Muhammad-Bande wants the video statements to be pre-recorded to make sure that the General Debate will not be disrupted by technical glitches that are common in live streaming.

    "We don't want to be in a position that the signal is not good enough, so the speech of a president would be cut off," she said. "We want to avoid all these technical errors that happen all the time."

    Representatives from delegations of member states in New York will be allowed to make speeches in the General Assembly Hall. Physical presence in the hall for the General Debate and for other high-level events would be limited to one or, if the situation allows, two delegates per delegation, she said.

    Member states are asked to make written comments by noon Friday. A draft decision that would take into account the comments will be formulated for adoption by the member states, said Abaza.

    Last year, 125 heads of state and government made live speeches during the high-level week. The longest speech was by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan at 50 minutes.

    Asked whether the UN will edit down pre-recorded statements that are longer than 15 minutes, Abaza said member states will have to cooperate if they agree on such arrangements. "If member states agree on the (rule of) 15 minutes, we will have 15-minute statements."

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    最新版天堂资源中文网| 亚洲国产综合无码一区| 日韩人妻精品无码一区二区三区 | 最近的2019免费中文字幕| 人妻丰满?V无码久久不卡| 曰批全过程免费视频在线观看无码 | 国产成人无码一区二区在线观看| 无码专区国产无套粉嫩白浆内射 | 久久精品国产亚洲AV无码娇色| 中文字幕精品亚洲无线码一区应用| 久久久无码精品午夜| 人妻无码一区二区三区免费| 中文字幕无码不卡在线| 中文字幕本一道先锋影音| 中文字幕无码久久人妻| 97人妻无码一区二区精品免费| 亚洲色无码一区二区三区| 亚洲日韩中文字幕日韩在线| 狠狠精品久久久无码中文字幕| 国产在线观看无码免费视频| 久久亚洲精品成人av无码网站| 亚洲色偷拍另类无码专区| 中文午夜乱理片无码| 久久亚洲精品成人无码网站| 精品久久久久中文字幕一区| 最近中文字幕大全中文字幕免费| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久综合网| 亚洲AV无码成人精品区狼人影院 | 日韩精品无码久久久久久| 亚洲中文字幕无码一区二区三区 | 亚洲精品高清无码视频| 精品多人p群无码| 亚洲精品无码专区在线在线播放 | 精品无码国产一区二区三区AV| 亚洲AV无码成人网站久久精品大| 亚洲AV永久无码区成人网站| 曰韩精品无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码国产精品麻豆天美| 日韩亚洲AV无码一区二区不卡 | 国产仑乱无码内谢| 无码精品人妻一区|