Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Africa

    African leaders should collaborate to combat COVID-19: Webinar consensus

    By Edith Mutethya in Nairobi, Kenya | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-07-06 21:33
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A health worker takes a swab from a woman during mass nucleic acid testing in Nairobi, Kenya, on May 28, 2020. [File photo/Agencies]

    African leaders expressed the need for collaboration to combat the novel coronavirus pandemic that has so far infected over 460,000 people and killed over 11,000 in the continent, as well as deepen post-epidemic recovery efforts.

    The leaders who spoke during a webinar on post-COVID-19 reconstruction, organized by the African chapter of the International Summit Council for Peace, on Saturday applauded the continent's efforts so far in fighting the pandemic.

    Uhuru Kenyatta, the president of Kenya, commended Africa's concerted response to the virus, saying measures being implemented by African countries are helping to slow the virus' spread.

    The president said despite limited resources, the continent has rolled out proactive measures that are helping to save lives.

    "Africa has responded to coronavirus much better than most other parts of the world, particularly when you consider its relatively weaker resource base. For a continent with 1.2 billion people, we have about 400,000 confirmed cases and just over 10,000 deaths," Kenyatta said.

    Kenyatta urged African leaders to continue working together with the support of partners to craft interventions that enhance the resilience of the continent's vulnerable populations.

    "We should work in collaboration with our development partners to build capacity for local production of health equipment and to strengthen our local manufacturing capacity more generally," he said.

    The president warned against complacency in Africa's coronavirus response, saying the pandemic is likely to get worse in the coming months.

    "We need to actively prepare for the looming crisis. Let me, however, hasten to add that there is no room for complacency," he said.

    Kenyatta said peer learning, data driven decision-making, pragmatism and regular and transparent communication are some of the best practices that will stand Africa in a better position to defeat novel coronavirus.

    Goodluck Jonathan, the former president of Nigeria and the chairman of the African chapter of the International Summit Council for Peace, congratulated the African Union for its leadership in the fight against the pandemic.

    Jonathan said the prominent role played by the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Africa COVID-19 Fund and the joint Africa procurement platform in COVID-19 response had demonstrated the continent's potential to overcome its development challenges going forward.

    In his earlier comment as chairman of the forum, Jonathan stressed that African leaders must come together to collectively confront the challenges facing the continent, especially social, economic and governance issues as reported by the Independent.

    "The coronavirus pandemic places urgency of actions on African leaders to move from plans to implementations of the different developmental strategies. I am particularly optimistic that conversations such as this will chart a new course towards building a new world, an interdependent peaceful and just nations of Africa," Jonathan said.

    Catherine Samba-Panzi, the former president of the Central African Republic, said Africa's response to COVID-19 should give more prominence to women.

    She said women should be given the same prominence as frontline health workers because they play the same role at the household level.

    According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, an intergovernmental economic organization, women make up almost 70 percent of the health care workforce, exposing them to a greater risk of infection.

    At the same time, they are shouldering much of the burden at home, given school and child care facility closures and longstanding gender inequalities.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    色偷偷一区二区无码视频| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久精品1| 亚洲人成国产精品无码| 狠狠躁天天躁中文字幕无码| 中文字幕 亚洲 有码 在线| 小SAO货水好多真紧H无码视频| 精品久久久久久中文字幕| AV无码一区二区大桥未久| 亚洲熟妇无码八AV在线播放| 亚洲精品中文字幕乱码三区| 波多野结衣AV无码| 亚洲AV无码专区电影在线观看 | 国产成人无码免费网站| 亚洲精品无码AV人在线播放| 亚洲欧美日韩中文字幕二区| 亚洲国产精品无码中文字| 无码人妻一区二区三区精品视频| 日韩精品无码一区二区三区免费| 无码人妻精品中文字幕免费东京热 | 中文字幕在线观看亚洲视频| 国产成人无码精品一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区性色 | 永久免费av无码网站yy| 中文字幕在线无码一区二区三区| 熟妇人妻无码中文字幕| 中文无码vs无码人妻| 欧日韩国产无码专区| 高清无码在线视频| AV无码免费永久在线观看| 国产亚洲人成无码网在线观看| 无码精品人妻一区二区三区免费看 | 久久久久久亚洲Av无码精品专口| 亚洲AV无码成人精品区天堂| 亚洲日韩乱码中文无码蜜桃臀网站| 高清无码v视频日本www| 中文字幕乱妇无码AV在线| 亚洲爆乳无码一区二区三区| 无码人妻视频一区二区三区| 四虎成人精品无码| 人妻少妇看A偷人无码精品| 久久伊人亚洲AV无码网站|