Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Ex-CDC heads chide Trump

    By AI HEPING in New York | China Daily Global | Updated: 2020-07-15 11:03
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    US President Donald Trump attends a news conference in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, US, July 14, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

    Four former heads of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) criticized the Trump administration Tuesday saying it is undermining the federal health agency and taking "political potshots" at scientists during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    In related news, Senator Lindsay Graham, a supporter of President Donald Trump, gave his support on Tuesday to Dr Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious diseases expert, saying that any effort by the White House to undermine Fauci would be unproductive as novel coronavirus cases surge across the country.

    The four ex-CDC directors wrote in an op-ed in The Washington Post:

    "As America begins the formidable task of getting our kids back to school and all of us back to work safely amid a pandemic that is only getting worse, public health experts face two opponents: covid-19, but also political leaders and others attempting to undermine the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    "Trying to fight this pandemic while subverting scientific expertise is like fighting blindfolded," they wrote. "How well and how quickly we adhere to the advice of public health experts at the CDC will determine whether, how soon and how safely our schools can reopen. It is not too late to give the CDC its proper role in guiding this response. But the clock is ticking."

    The piece was written by Tom Frieden, Jeffrey Koplan and David Satcher, all former CDC directors, as well as former acting CDC director Richard Besser. They criticized administration officials for taking "political potshots" at scientists during the pandemic.

    Frieden served as CDC director from 2009 to 2017 under President Barack Obama. Koplan served as director from 1998 to 2002 under Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. Satcher served as director from 1993 to 1998 under Clinton. Besser served as acting director in 2009 during the Obama administration.

    The former CDC chiefs also warned that opening schools too early and without adequate precautions in place could further the spread of the virus.

    Graham, when asked about reports of the Trump administration trying to discredit Fauci, said:

    "Has he been right all the time? No. We don't have a Dr Fauci problem. We need to be focusing on doing things that get us where we need to go. So, I have all the respect in the world for Dr Fauci. I think any effort to undermine him is not going to be productive, quite frankly."

    Graham also called Fauci one of the "smartest people" he knows.

    US President Donald Trump listens as Dr. Anthony Fauci speaks during the daily coronavirus task force briefing at the White House in Washington, US, April 22, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

    "Getting in a contest with Dr Fauci about whether he was right or wrong doesn't move the ball forward," said Graham, "because here's where we are as a nation: The infection rate is going up, we shut the whole country down. It's time to reopen up smartly. It's time to go back to school, and we're going to deal with the reality that we're not as prepared as we need to be, but we are moving in the right direction."

    White House officials, including President Trump, have openly criticized Fauci over his public health advice during the pandemic.

    Last week, in an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, Trump said Fauci "has made a lot of mistakes".

    On Monday, Trump told reporters: "I have a very good relationship with Dr Fauci. I've had for a long time, right from the beginning. I find him to be a very nice person. I don't always agree with him."

    Also Monday, Dan Scavino, the White House director of social media, posted a cartoon on Facebook portraying Fauci as a faucet, flushing the US economy down the drain.

    "Sorry, Dr. Faucet!" Scavino wrote. "At least you know if I'm going to disagree with a colleague, such as yourself, it's done publicly and not cowardly, behind journalists with leaks."

    The US Public Health Service's Admiral Brett Giroir, the administration's testing czar, told NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday that he respects Fauci but he is not "100 percent right".

    White House trade adviser Peter Navarro told CBS News over the weekend, "Dr Fauci has a good bedside manner with the public but he has been wrong about everything I have ever interacted with him on."

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    国产av无码专区亚洲av果冻传媒 | 性无码专区一色吊丝中文字幕| 亚洲av激情无码专区在线播放| 天堂8а√中文在线官网| 丰满熟妇人妻Av无码区| 亚洲桃色AV无码| 制服丝袜日韩中文字幕在线| 最好看的2018中文在线观看| yy111111少妇无码影院| 亚洲精品高清无码视频| 欧美中文字幕无线码视频| а天堂中文在线官网| 中文字幕无码播放免费| 爽到高潮无码视频在线观看| 秋霞无码一区二区| 少妇人妻无码精品视频app| 超清无码无卡中文字幕| 日本无码小泬粉嫩精品图| 午夜无码中文字幕在线播放| 最近中文字幕mv免费高清在线 | 日本精品久久久久中文字幕| 亚洲精品无码久久不卡| 久久亚洲精品无码观看不卡| A∨变态另类天堂无码专区| 秋霞无码一区二区| 日韩免费无码视频一区二区三区| 成在人线av无码免费高潮喷水| 久久亚洲日韩看片无码| 国产色爽免费无码视频| 精品国产一区二区三区无码| 免费无码H肉动漫在线观看麻豆| 无码人妻丰满熟妇区BBBBXXXX| 无码人妻一区二区三区一| 无码任你躁久久久久久老妇App| 十八禁视频在线观看免费无码无遮挡骂过 | 中文字幕人妻在线视频不卡乱码| 中文字幕一区一区三区| 性无码专区一色吊丝中文字幕| 亚洲JIZZJIZZ中国少妇中文| 国产亚洲精久久久久久无码77777| 亚洲日产无码中文字幕|