Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Asia-Pacific

    India firms up status in virus top 3

    China Daily | Updated: 2020-07-18 09:03
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    An Indian health worker monitors a patient performing yoga inside a COVID-19 care center on Thursday in New Delhi. [Photo/China Daily]

    As cases reach 1 million in worst-hit Asian nation, pacesetter US sees record rise

    India on Friday became the third country to record 1 million coronavirus cases, trailing the United States and Brazil where infections also continued to surge.

    The virus has killed more than 580,000 people and infected nearly 14 million around the world since first being detected late last year, according to figures from the World Health Organization.

    But, despite extraordinary restrictions on people traveling that have crippled the global economy, the pandemic is worsening in many parts of the world.

    India's surpassing of 1 million infections came a day after confirmed cases in Brazil topped 2 million.

    With more than 600 people dying daily in India, lockdowns have been reimposed on millions of people across the country.

    India's main hot spots had previously been the megacities of Mumbai and New Delhi, but smaller cities and rural areas-where 70 percent of Indians live-have recently begun to raise the alarm.

    The coastal tourist region of Goa on Thursday evening became the latest Indian state to go under lockdown, imposing a three-day shutdown and a night-time curfew until Aug 10.

    With per capita spending on healthcare among the lowest in the world, India's hospitals are reeling.

    "The fear of catching the infection is very real as I am in a high-risk zone almost round the clock," said Showkat Nazir Wani, a doctor working in an intensive care unit in Sharda Hospital, just outside New Delhi.

    "It's not going to go away till a vaccine comes.... I have to keep fighting and trying to save every single life."

    Rahul Gandhi, leader of the opposition Congress party, urged Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to take concrete steps to contain the pandemic, tweeting that the number of infections will double to 2 million by Aug 10 at this pace.

    Epidemiologists say India is still likely months from hitting its peak.

    "In the coming months, we are bound to see more and more cases, and that is the natural progression of any pandemic," said Giridhar Babu, epidemiologist at the nonprofit Public Health Foundation of India.

    3.5 million infections

    The US reported a record high of more than 77,000 new cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of infections to 3,560,364, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

    The mounting novel coronavirus outbreak in the country saw 39 states report increases in the number of new cases on Thursday, with California, Texas, Florida and Arizona the hottest of the hot spots. Johns Hopkins University reported more than 138,000 people had died of COVID-19 in the US as of Thursday.

    Cameron and Hidalgo counties in Texas are sharing a large refrigerated trailer to store bodies of COVID-19 victims because of a lack of space at the morgues.

    "I'm pleading with everybody in our neck of the woods, help us do your part. People's lives are at stake-not just the people getting sick but doctors, nurses working to the bone, EMS personnel transporting people," Cameron County Judge Eddie Trevino Jr told CNN affiliate network KVEO.

    Meanwhile, more than 40 states have mandates on face coverings in public. Arkansas and Colorado issued face-covering orders on Thursday, and more businesses started to require face masks, including CVS, Kroger and Target.

    White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany said on Thursday that President Donald Trump still wants US schools to reopen this fall in full, with "kids being able to attend each and every day at their school".

    "The science should not stand in the way of this," she said, adding that it is "perfectly safe" to fully reopen all classrooms.

    In Melbourne, Australia's second-biggest city, a second wave has continued to worsen despite the reimposition of a lockdown. A daily record of 423 new cases were confirmed on Friday.

    Agencies, Ai Heping in New York, Xinhua and Chen Yingqun in Beijing contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    日韩AV无码中文无码不卡电影| 波多野结衣AV无码| 亚洲欧美精品综合中文字幕| 国产aⅴ激情无码久久| 国产精品无码成人午夜电影| 日韩欧美成人免费中文字幕| 无码少妇一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码专区日韩| 色综合天天综合中文网| 无码AV片在线观看免费| 日韩精品人妻一区二区中文八零 | 无套内射在线无码播放| 日本久久中文字幕| 天堂8а√中文在线官网| 中文字幕无码乱人伦| 亚洲人成无码网站在线观看 | 成人午夜福利免费专区无码| 免费无码中文字幕A级毛片| 人妻一区二区三区无码精品一区 | 无码专区中文字幕无码| 亚洲精品无码久久久久AV麻豆| 精品无码一区二区三区爱欲 | 精品人妻中文字幕有码在线| 亚洲成?Ⅴ人在线观看无码| 久久无码一区二区三区少妇 | 无码福利一区二区三区| 无码 免费 国产在线观看91| 国产免费无码AV片在线观看不卡 | 日韩精品无码免费视频| 97久久精品无码一区二区天美| 日韩国产成人无码av毛片| 日韩av无码中文字幕| 国产精品无码无片在线观看| 国产亚洲精品a在线无码| 69ZXX少妇内射无码| 天天看高清无码一区二区三区| 精品无人区无码乱码大片国产| 人妻少妇看A偷人无码精品视频| 人妻无码久久精品| 亚洲精品乱码久久久久久中文字幕 | 日韩精品中文字幕无码一区|