Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    Business
    Home / Business / Technology

    Huawei in spotlight as it tackles tech curbs

    By Ma Si | China Daily | Updated: 2020-09-15 07:08
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    The global flagship store of Huawei Technologies Co in Shanghai. [Photo by Wang Gang/ For China Daily]

    "Stars shine through even the darkest night."

    Those are the words of Yu Chengdong, CEO of Huawei Technologies Co's consumer business group, as the Chinese tech giant faces arguably the darkest moment in its 30-year-plus history.

    After Monday, Huawei's semiconductor suppliers outside the United States have to halt shipments to the company of products containing US technologies. If they pursue that type of business with Huawei, they have to apply for a license from Washington, according to the latest US government restrictions.

    The tightened curbs will profoundly affect the business of the world's largest telecom equipment maker and the No 1 smartphone vendor by shipments, resulting in a shortage of processors Huawei needs to make its products, experts said.

    Yu, whose consumer business group is expected to suffer most from the chip restrictions, said many people thought that Huawei would have no choice but to press the pause or stop button on its phone businesses.

    The company, however, decided to step forward and hit the play button, Yu said at its annual developer conference in Dongguan, Guangdong province, last week.

    Yu, who led Huawei from a nobody in smartphones to an industry star, didn't directly disclose the company's answers to the latest curbs. But he announced on Thursday the second version of its in-house operating system HarmonyOS and showcased the progress it has made in tackling the restrictions on its use of the Google Android operating system.

    "One year ago, when Washington restricted Huawei's access to using Android in its smartphones, many had thought that Huawei's smartphone businesses would be destroyed," said Xiang Ligang, director-general of the Information Consumption Alliance, a telecom industry association.

    But instead, Huawei developed HarmonyOS and it even grew from the No 2 smartphone vendor in the world to No 1 in the second quarter of 2020, Xiang said.

    "The process showcased what Huawei was capable of doing amid intense pressure, and it offers a clue as to what Huawei can do to survive the latest chip restrictions, which are widely believed to have the potential to damage its smartphone business," Xiang added.

    Charlie Dai, principal analyst at market research company Forrester, said: "The US government's bans leave Huawei no choice but to accelerate research and development to build an open tech ecosystem of its own, from hardware to software for smartphones. It's a tough journey, but Huawei must go through it to survive and thrive."

    Wang Chenglu, president of the software department at Huawei's consumer business group, said, "The chip restrictions are a wake-up call to all industries in China."

    Wang said many Chinese high-tech companies have made their way onto lists of the world's top 500 companies in the past decade.

    "But such a seemingly booming scene of 'luxuriant foliage' is, in fact, very dangerous, and it can be upended in an instant, because it is not supported by 'deep roots' under the ground," he said, referring to the lack of homegrown core technologies such as high-end chip manufacturing techniques.

    "The chip curbs offer a good opportunity for Chinese companies to work together to reconstruct the semiconductor sector," Wang added.

    Huawei is rumored to have launched a project to partner with domestic companies to build a US-technology-free chip production line. Though Huawei has not commented, people familiar with the issue told China Daily that the company is seriously considering doing so.

    Analysts said Huawei still has a certain inventory level of chips, which will give it time to come up with contingency plans, as well as to assess the progress of domestic semiconductor companies. They estimate that Huawei has a stockpile of processors for smartphones and 5G base stations that could last at least until early 2021 and possibly through most of the year.

    1 2 Next   >>|
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    CLOSE
     
    亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦下载 | 综合国产在线观看无码| 亚洲一日韩欧美中文字幕欧美日韩在线精品一区二 | 日韩成人无码中文字幕| 精品无码国产自产拍在线观看| 中文字幕日韩理论在线| 中文字幕VA一区二区三区| 国产日韩精品中文字无码| 中文字幕无码日韩专区免费| 激情欧美一区二区三区中文字幕| 狠狠精品久久久无码中文字幕| 亚洲av永久无码精品表情包| 无码H黄肉动漫在线观看网站| 国产乱码精品一区二区三区中文| 无码精品人妻一区二区三区AV| 色偷偷一区二区无码视频| 中文字幕av无码一区二区三区电影 | 黄桃AV无码免费一区二区三区| 中文字幕人妻无码一区二区三区| yellow中文字幕久久网| 久别的草原在线影院电影观看中文| 潮喷失禁大喷水aⅴ无码| 色窝窝无码一区二区三区色欲| 午夜人性色福利无码视频在线观看| 免费无码一区二区三区蜜桃| 无码人妻精品中文字幕免费东京热| 亚洲av无码乱码国产精品| 久久男人Av资源网站无码软件 | 无码精品一区二区三区在线| 免费A级毛片无码A∨免费| 亚洲日韩在线中文字幕综合| 最近中文字幕2019视频1| 最近更新2019中文字幕| 最近2019中文字幕免费直播| 中文字幕一区二区三区5566| 久久ZYZ资源站无码中文动漫| 人妻少妇久久中文字幕一区二区| 中文国产成人精品久久不卡| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线播放| 在线观看无码AV网站永久免费| 亚洲无码黄色网址|