Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    COVID confusion as 'rule of six' introduced

    By JULIAN SHEA in London | China Daily Global | Updated: 2020-09-15 09:33
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    People walk past the Upside Down House attraction next to the beach in Brighton, Britain, September 12, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

    The new "rule of six" limit on social gatherings has been introduced across parts of the United Kingdom amid increasing concerns about the government's handling of the novel coronavirus, as infection rates continue to rise.

    The specific details of the new restriction, banning gatherings of more than six people, differ in England, Scotland and Wales, and having been announced last week to come into force this week, the details were only published online 15 minutes before the midnight deadline of when it was due to come into effect.

    In England and Scotland, the rule applies indoors and outdoors, but in Wales it is indoors only, and in England it applies to all ages, but in Wales children aged under 11 are exempt, and in Scotland the cut-off point is age 12.

    Furthermore, it applies in private homes, and places such as pubs, restaurants, cafes and public outdoor spaces, but not in schools or workplaces, or at organized team sports or events such as weddings and funerals.

    In Scotland, the rule can include a maximum of two households but in Wales it only covers one extended household.

    When asked on the BBC Radio 4 Today program if people should inform the police if they observed the rules being flouted, Policing Minister Kit Malthouse said: "it is open to neighbors to do exactly that through the non-emergency number.

    "And if they are concerned and they do see that kind of thing, then absolutely they should think about it."

    Sunday was the fifth day in a row where the number of new cases across the UK topped 3,000, with 3,300 new cases recorded, and five fatalities.

    Chaand Nagpaul, council chairman of the British Medical Association, told Sky News decisive action was vital now, or there would be more trouble ahead.

    "With daily cases still alarmingly high, and winter just around the corner, we are at a critical crossroads in the fight against this deadly virus," he said.

    "All efforts must be made to avoid a repeat of the horror and tragedy we all experienced earlier this year."

    Meanwhile, documents seen by the Sunday Times newspaper show that the British COVID-19 testing system has been so overwhelmed by demand that samples are having to be sent to Italy and Germany to be tested.

    The government claims that its "world-beating" system would be able to handle 375,000 tests each day, but according to the documents, at the start of the month 437,000 people were being tested per week, which works out as 62,000 per day.

    Labour Party leader Keir Starmer has become the latest politician to enter self-isolation after a member of his household showed possible symptoms, and ITV's political editor Robert Peston has tweeted that a source inside the National Health Service Test and Trace system told him demand for testing had "gone through the roof".

    "We are doing more testing per head of population than other European countries but at current demand... even once we have doubled that testing capacity (which we will do by end Oct) we will still have the problem you describe," the source said.

    The potential spreading of infection in care homes is a particular concern, so the government has made test availability in the sector a particularly high priority.

    That "uses a huge amount of our testing capacity", Peston's source continued, "but I think that's right as that's where the biggest risk is. We see a lot of people coming forward for testing who don't have symptoms and just like every other bit of the NHS if we don't manage that demand there is a problem".

    Elsewhere, the chief executive of the world's largest vaccine manufacturer has said there will not be enough COVID-19 vaccines for everyone in the world to be inoculated until the end of 2024 at the earliest.

    In a video call from London, Adar Poonawalla, chief executive of the Serum Institute of India, told the Financial Times that if any future COVID-19 vaccine turned out to be something that needed two injections, such as measles, the world would need 15 billion doses.

    "I know the world wants to be optimistic on it . . . (but) I have not heard of anyone coming even close to that (level) right now," he said, talking about capacity for vaccine manufacture. "It's going to take four to five years until everyone gets the vaccine on this planet."

    Concern has also been expressed at the environmental damage being caused by huge numbers of discarded disposable face masks, which contain plastics.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    a中文字幕1区| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区DV| 精品国产V无码大片在线看| 毛片一区二区三区无码| 中文字幕乱码人妻无码久久| 日韩亚洲不卡在线视频中文字幕在线观看| 最新中文字幕AV无码不卡| 在线欧美中文字幕农村电影| 国产日韩精品中文字无码| 国内精品人妻无码久久久影院导航| 最近免费中文字幕MV在线视频3 | 亚洲Av无码国产情品久久| 亚洲AV无码日韩AV无码导航| 中文字幕亚洲综合久久| 中文字幕日本人妻久久久免费| 成在人线av无码免费高潮水| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区久久 | 中文字幕一区日韩在线视频| 一本之道高清无码视频| 亚洲欧洲日产国码无码网站| 一级片无码中文字幕乱伦| 久久精品中文字幕无码绿巨人| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕视频 | √天堂中文www官网在线| 无码中文字幕日韩专区视频| 日韩无码系列综合区| 99久久精品无码一区二区毛片| 人妻丰满AV无码久久不卡| 亚洲av无码国产精品夜色午夜 | 白嫩少妇激情无码| 中文字幕一区二区三区永久| 日韩亚洲欧美中文高清在线| 中文字幕视频在线免费观看| 最近中文国语字幕在线播放视频| 欧美中文字幕一区二区三区| 久久精品aⅴ无码中文字字幕重口| 中文字幕人妻无码系列第三区| 日韩成人无码中文字幕| 久久亚洲精品中文字幕| 精品久久久久久中文字幕 | 亚洲精品一级无码中文字幕|