Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / China-US

    NYSE delisting reversal sends investors scrambling

    By HENG WEILI in New York | China Daily Global | Updated: 2021-01-06 12:59
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    View of the NYSE building during snowfall in the Financial District of Manhattan, New York City, New York, US, Dec 17, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

    Politics and stock markets are intertwined, especially in the case of the US and China.

    That was starkly evident this week, when the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) reversed itself late Monday on plans to delist the shares of China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom.

    Reports emerged late Tuesday, however, that the NYSE may reverse itself once again.

    The initial New Year's Eve announcement took a toll on the telecoms' stocks Monday, the first trading day of 2021, when shares of the three companies sold off. They did the opposite on Tuesday. China Mobile rose $2.49 to $29.35, up 9.3 percent. China Telecom increased $2.30, or 8.8 percent to $28.34; and China Unicom rose 65 cents, or 11.8 percent to $6.15.

    The NYSE had citied talks with the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) within the Treasury Department as the reason for its reversal.

    The exchange said that it had consulted "relevant regulatory authorities" about outgoing US President Donald Trump's executive order, signed in November as part of a push to check China's growing economic might.

    The order banned American investment in 35 companies that the US Department of Defense said have ties to China's military.

    "The last thing the NYSE wants to do is have to delist these Chinese companies," Alan Seem, a partner at law firm Jones Day, told The Wall Street Journal. Seem previously worked on the IPOs of China Mobile, China Telecom and other Chinese companies.

    Mnuchin, however, reportedly has disagreed with the NYSE reversal.

    "Mnuchin called @NYSE's (President Stacey) Cunningham to say he disagrees with the exchanges decision to reverse course on the Chinese Telecom dealing," a Bloomberg News reporter wrote on Twitter. And a report Tuesday evening on bloomberg.com citing three sources said the NYSE would revert to its original delisting plan.

    "If it is true that someone @USTreasury advised @NYSE to reverse the decision to delist these Chinese companies, it was a outrageous effort to undermine @POTUS Executive Order," tweeted Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, a frequent China critic.

    Reuters reported that the NYSE may have first reversed itself over ambiguity about whether the companies were covered in the order.

    "Some funds that had an obligation to unload these shares will now need to buy them back," Jackson Wong, director of asset management at Amber Hill Capital Ltd in Hong Kong, told bloomberg.com.

    Whatever happens with the listings, there still will be some political uncertainty as the Biden administration is set to commence on Jan 20.

    "The Biden team will prefer a much more nuanced approach to these issues, with clear criteria for controlling both US technology exports to Chinese companies, and for considering restrictions on trading in the securities of specific Chinese firms," Paul Triolo, head of Eurasia Group's geo-technology practice, told Barron's.

    Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Tuesday that the "status of the US as an international financial center depends on global companies and investors' trust in the tolerance and certainty of its rules and systems".

    The three Chinese telcos' ADRs (American depositary receipts) on the NYSE account for less than 2 percent of their equity. Investors also can swap their ADR holdings for Hong Kong-listed shares.

    Many investors are looking to increase holdings of Chinese stocks, realizing the growth outlook in an economy that is recovering from the pandemic faster than others.

    The CSI 300, which tracks the value of the largest companies on the Shanghai and Shenzhen exchanges, closed 1.9 percent higher on Tuesday at 5,368 points, its loftiest level since January 2008.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲av无码av制服另类专区| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕| 日韩精品久久无码中文字幕| 无码专区狠狠躁躁天天躁| 中文字幕在线一区二区在线| 日韩美无码五月天| 日韩精品少妇无码受不了| 中文字幕无码久久久| 亚洲一区二区三区无码中文字幕 | 中国少妇无码专区| 精品无码人妻夜人多侵犯18| 无码高清不卡| 少妇无码一区二区三区免费| 中文字幕无码第1页| 最近高清中文字幕免费| 亚洲中文字幕在线乱码| 久久精品无码专区免费| 国产激情无码一区二区| 日韩精品久久无码人妻中文字幕 | 国产色综合久久无码有码 | 无码人妻丰满熟妇区96| 最近免费视频中文字幕大全| 久久精品中文騷妇女内射| 亚洲中文字幕无码爆乳av中文| 成在人线AV无码免观看麻豆| 精品日韩亚洲AV无码| 久久人妻少妇嫩草AV无码专区| 亚洲av无码专区在线播放 | 99国产精品无码| 人妻少妇偷人精品无码 | 国产v亚洲v天堂无码网站| 人妻无码久久一区二区三区免费| 日韩精品专区AV无码| 无码精品人妻一区二区三区中| 日韩AV无码久久一区二区| 久久人妻少妇嫩草AV无码专区 | 四虎国产精品永久在线无码| 免费AV一区二区三区无码| 亚洲色偷拍区另类无码专区| 亚洲.欧美.中文字幕在线观看| 天堂…中文在线最新版在线|