Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Canadian regulator suspends Oxford jab

    By ANGUS McNEICE in London | China Daily Global | Updated: 2021-03-31 09:23
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A vial of some of the first 500,000 of the 2-million AstraZeneca coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine doses that Canada has secured through a deal with the Serum Institute of India in partnership with Verity Pharma at a facility in Milton, Ontario, Canada March 3, 2021. [Photo/Agencies]

    Halt is 'temporary', due to concerns over blood clots among those under 55

    Canada's vaccine advisory committee has recommended a pause in the use of the COVID-19 jab from Oxford University and AstraZeneca in people aged under 55 due to concerns over the risk of blood clots among those who have been vaccinated.

    The Canadian National Advisory Committee on Immunization, or NACI, recommended a pause in distribution on Monday, citing new evidence that the risk of blood clotting is higher than previously thought.

    A number of Canadian provinces including Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec have confirmed they will follow the guidance.

    The so-called Oxford vaccine had already been subject to scrutiny after a small number of cases of rare blood disorders were observed among treated people in Europe, some of which were fatal, leading to several nations pausing rollout.

    Most of those countries resumed distribution of the jab after analysis from the World Health Organization and United Kingdom and European Union drug regulators found no link between the vaccine and blood disorders, and that incidences of clotting were extremely uncommon-around one in 1 million vaccinated people.

    But Canadian authorities are concerned about a more recent study from the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut in Germany that found greater risk of blood clotting among the treated-as high as one in 100,000 people. Researchers from the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut were also involved in a recently released pre-print study that suggests a link between the Oxford vaccine and cases of clotting.

    Joss Reimer, who is head of the Vaccine Implementation Task Force in Manitoba, said the vaccine will be temporarily halted in the province out of "an abundance of caution".

    "While we still believe the benefits for all ages outweigh the risks I'm not comfortable with 'probably'," Reimer said, according to the Associated Press. "I want to see more data coming out of Europe so I know exactly what this risk benefit analysis is."

    NACI said that the blood clotting events were found to be most common in younger adults, therefore the Oxford jab should still be made available by informed consent to people aged 55 and above, among whom the risk of severe illness from COVID-19 is greater.

    When performing its benefit and risk analysis, NACI said that the Oxford jab was only expected to make up a small proportion of total rollout in Canada, and the country should not expect delays to its vaccination program.

    On Sunday, researchers in Europe and Canada released a preprint of an unpublished non-peer reviewed study that looked into nine people who had developed blood clots after receiving the Oxford jab.

    The paper concluded that the clotting in these cases appeared to be induced by the vaccine. The study was carried out by researchers from the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut and Greifswald University Hospital in Germany, the Medical University of Vienna in Austria, and McMaster University in Canada.

    Experts who were not involved in the study said the research had several limitations. Adam Finn, who is professor of pediatrics at the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom, said that the rate of blood clots among non-immunized people was not established, and that the paper does not report if the patients had evidence of current or previous infection with COVID-19, which is itself a risk factor for blood clotting disorders.

    Peter English, who is former chair of the British Medical Association's Public Health Medicine Committee, said that the conclusion reached in the paper is "completely unsupported by their findings".

    "This preprint implies a causal association between vaccination and clotting events, but provides only the weakest of evidence," said English. "The way to tell if there is a causal link is to demonstrate an excess of such events in recently vaccinated patients. This paper is not designed to do this."

    Editors of pre-print server Research Square, which uploaded the paper, said that the authors had disclosed conflicts of interest, "including personal fees from Pfizer and other pharmaceutical companies".

    A number of health experts have expressed concern that nations have been too quick to pause roll-out of the Oxford vaccine, as temporary halting of distribution might lead to increased vaccine hesitancy in the general public. The Oxford jab is central to international pandemic-control efforts, accounting for more than 90 percent of vaccines being distributed through COVAX, which is a global initiative aimed at equitable access to novel coronavirus vaccines.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    天堂资源中文最新版在线一区| 中文字幕在线播放| 无码av人妻一区二区三区四区| 无码人妻久久一区二区三区蜜桃 | 亚洲AV无码乱码国产麻豆| 亚洲 欧美 国产 日韩 中文字幕| 日韩精品无码一区二区三区免费| 国内精品久久久久久中文字幕| 日韩亚洲国产中文字幕欧美| 免费无遮挡无码永久视频| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区系列| 最近的2019免费中文字幕| 中文字幕在线视频播放| 天堂中文在线最新版| 中文亚洲AV片不卡在线观看| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区在线观看| 亚洲av无码无在线观看红杏| 无码人妻精品一区二区蜜桃网站| 人妻少妇精品中文字幕av蜜桃| 亚洲国产精品无码久久青草 | 潮喷大喷水系列无码久久精品| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区系列| 国产成人无码区免费网站| 最新中文字幕在线观看| 99精品久久久久中文字幕| 亚洲精品欧美精品中文字幕| 日本妇人成熟免费中文字幕 | 制服丝袜中文字幕在线| 久久久久亚洲av成人无码电影| r级无码视频在线观看| 6080YYY午夜理论片中无码 | 911国产免费无码专区| AV无码久久久久不卡网站下载| 国产精品无码A∨精品影院| 精品无码一区二区三区爱欲| 精品无码国产自产拍在线观看| 免费看又黄又无码的网站| 18禁黄无码高潮喷水乱伦| 国产亚洲精久久久久久无码AV| 国产麻豆天美果冻无码视频| 亚洲区日韩区无码区|