Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    Calm called for after NI violence flares up

    By EARLE GALE in London | China Daily Global | Updated: 2021-04-08 09:15
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    An Irish nationalist stands amongst smoke from the fire near "peace wall" gates into Lanark Way as protests continue in Belfast, Northern Ireland, April 7, 2021. [Photo/Agencies]

    Police say unrest has been organized by 'disaffected groups with links to criminality'

    Community leaders have called for calm in Northern Ireland after an increase in post-Brexit tension in recent weeks led to outbreaks of violence over the past few days.

    Senior police officers and politicians have added their voices to the pleas for a de-escalation of inflamed rhetoric and lawlessness that have exposed long-established sectarian divides, with disorder in pro-British neighborhoods resulting in 41 police officers being injured in one week.

    Arlene Foster, Northern Ireland's first minister and the leader of the Democratic Unionist Party, is one of those who claims to speak for people in the pro-British neighborhoods where the violence has flared.

    She told the Financial Times "malign influences" had been stirring up trouble that has included youths setting fire to vehicles and throwing stones and petrol bombs at the police.

    "It has to stop, and it has to stop immediately," she said. "Please, desist from this violence. There is a better way, and the way is through politics."

    Loyalist leaders have said many people in the pro-British areas are unhappy with parts of the Brexit trade deal that accompanied the United Kingdom's exit from the European Union. The Northern Ireland Protocol, they say, has led to the province being treated differently to the rest of the UK, which they fear opens the door to so-called republicans being able to eventually separate the region from the UK.

    The resurgence in sectarian tension involving groups wanting Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK and opponents wanting it to break away is reminiscent of unrest that was effectively ended with the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

    Chief Superintendent Davy Beck, an area commander of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, said the unrest is being organized by "disaffected groups with links to criminality".

    "I appeal to all people with influence to use that influence to put a stop to this," The Financial Times quoted him as saying. "This is a choice, this doesn't have to go on. This can be brought to a conclusion today."

    Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office called the flaring of violence "completely unacceptable" and said the government is working with the EU to address issues resulting from the Northern Ireland Protocol portion of the Brexit trade deal.

    The Guardian newspaper noted that the EU's ambassador to the UK has, however, insisted that political elements that want the Northern Ireland Protocol to be reworked have offered no alternative suggestions for how a hard border can be avoided on the island of Ireland while different rules and regulations are enforced on either side of that border.

    Joao Vale de Almeida said politicians who represent the loyalist community should, instead, focus on making the Northern Ireland Protocol work.

    "The protocol is the solution for the problems created by Brexit in Northern Ireland and that's where I believe we should focus," he said.

    Northern Ireland's devolved Parliament was set to return early from its Easter break on Thursday, after being recalled to debate the escalation of violence and how it might be ended.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    无码人妻一区二区三区在线视频| 色噜噜综合亚洲av中文无码| 色欲综合久久中文字幕网| 亚洲AV人无码综合在线观看| 无码中文av有码中文a| 2024你懂的网站无码内射| 亚洲热妇无码AV在线播放| 最近免费最新高清中文字幕韩国| 无码不卡亚洲成?人片| 日韩精品无码一区二区三区| 东京热人妻无码一区二区av| 国产精品中文字幕在线观看| 无码专区一va亚洲v专区在线 | 嫩草影院无码av| 久久久久久亚洲AV无码专区| 久久午夜无码鲁丝片秋霞| 中文字幕亚洲第一在线 | 亚洲中文字幕无码久久2017| gogo少妇无码肉肉视频| 久久久久亚洲AV片无码下载蜜桃 | 亚洲AV永久无码精品网站在线观看| 亚洲电影中文字幕| 无码精品A∨在线观看中文| 亚洲高清有码中文字| 中文字幕无码久久人妻| 亚洲v国产v天堂a无码久久| 高清无码在线视频| 免费无码午夜福利片69| 国产又爽又黄无码无遮挡在线观看| 国产AV无码专区亚汌A√| 无码av免费一区二区三区试看 | 久久久久无码精品国产不卡| 无码137片内射在线影院| 无码少妇一区二区| 色综合久久久久无码专区| 久久精品无码一区二区无码| 久久久久久国产精品免费无码 | 最近2019中文免费字幕在线观看| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区人妖| 中文字幕在线观看有码| 一本一道精品欧美中文字幕|