Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    Business

    With new phones, 'Honor' is restored, market foothold firm

    Company carved out of Huawei first to use Qualcomm's 778G 5G chips

    By MA SI | China Daily | Updated: 2021-06-18 00:00
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    Honor Device Co Ltd, the Chinese phone maker that became independent from Huawei late last year, said its supply chain has fully recovered and the company is steadily regaining market share.

    The comments came after the company unveiled its new smartphone 50 series powered by the US chip giant Qualcomm's chips on Wednesday night.

    Zhao Ming, CEO of Honor, said though the company obtained the chip information 45 days later than its competitors, Honor managed to be the first in the industry to launch smartphones powered by Qualcomm's 778G 5G chips.

    The company has so far reestablished links with over 30 strategic partners, and inked more than 1,000 supply agreements, he said.

    "The darkest months for Honor are over. Our market share in the Chinese smartphone market had recovered to 9.5 percent in the last week of May," Zhao said.

    "In the past 211 days, a lot of things had happened. At the peak point, we were the second largest smartphone brand in China with a market share of 16.7 percent. And then we plummeted all the way to 3 percent at the darkest moment,"Zhao said.

    The slump came after the United States restrictions on Huawei cut its access to crucial technical components for its mobile phone business. In November, Honor was sold by Huawei to a Chinese consortium of over 30 agents and dealers to ensure the brand's survival.

    Asked whether Honor will adopt Huawei's self-developed operating system HarmonyOS in the future, Zhao said currently Android is still its preferred choice, but he did not rule out the possibility of switching the operating systems.

    "As an independent company, Honor can choose different operating systems at the appropriate time in accordance with its development," Zhao said.

    The senior executive said Honor will further expand its retail footprint in the country by setting up offline stores in more cities. "We have opened over 2,500 new experience stores and centers," Zhao said.

    Priced from 2,699 yuan ($420) in China, the Honor 50 series smartphones are the second batch Honor unveiled after splitting off from Huawei. The model's launch comes in the wake of mobile phone shipments in China experiencing a 32 percent year-on-year decline to 22.97 million units in May, according to data from the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology, a Beijing-based think tank.

    But it is worth noting that in the same time frame, domestic shipments of 5G phones witnessed a 7 percent year-on-year increase to 16.74 million units.

    Honor 50 smartphones will also be available in international markets outside of China later, including France, Malaysia, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom, the company said.

    Market research company Canalys forecast that the worldwide smartphone market will grow 12 percent in 2021, with shipments reaching 1.4 billion units. This represents a strong recovery from 2020, when shipments fell 7 percent due to major market constraints caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Ben Stanton, research manager at Canalys, said: "The smartphone industry's resilience is quite incredible. Smartphones are vital for keeping people connected and entertained, and they're just as important inside the home as outside. In some parts of the world, people have been unable to spend money on holidays and days out in recent months, and many have spent their disposable income on a new smartphone instead."

    But component supply bottlenecks will limit the growth potential of smartphone shipments this year. "Back-orders are building. The industry is fighting for semiconductors, and every brand will feel the pinch."

    In recent months, vendors redirected some lots to other regions due to the COVID-19 outbreak in India, but this option is not sustainable as the world returns to normal.

    Vendors will first prioritize regional considerations, focusing on the flow of units into lucrative developed markets such as China, the US and West Europe at the expense of Latin America and Africa, Canalys said in its latest report.

    Nicole Peng, vice-president of mobility at Canalys, said as key components like chipsets and memory increase in price, smartphone vendors also have to decide whether to absorb that cost or pass it on to consumers.

    Smartphone vendors must look at improving their operational efficiency while lowering margin expectations in their low-end portfolios for the duration of the constraints, or risk ceding market share to their competitors, Peng said.

     

    Zhao Ming, CEO of Honor, introduces Honor 50 smartphones during a launch event in Shanghai on Wednesday. CHINA DAILY

     

     

    Today's Top News

    Editor's picks

    Most Viewed

    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    日韩欧美一区二区不卡中文| 亚洲AV日韩AV永久无码绿巨人| 无码无遮挡又大又爽又黄的视频| 中文无码制服丝袜人妻av| 熟妇人妻AV无码一区二区三区| 在线中文字幕一区| 人妻少妇精品无码专区动漫| 亚洲va无码手机在线电影| 青娱乐在线国产中文字幕免費資訊| 天堂无码在线观看| 精品欧洲av无码一区二区三区| 亚洲成AV人片在线播放无码| 区三区激情福利综合中文字幕在线一区亚洲视频1| 日韩经典精品无码一区| 男人的天堂无码动漫AV| 中文字幕日韩欧美| 最近中文字幕电影大全免费版| 中文字字幕在线中文无码| 色欲香天天综合网无码| YY111111少妇无码理论片| 十八禁无码免费网站| 亚洲AV无码一区二区二三区入口 | 国模吧无码一区二区三区| 亚洲日韩国产二区无码| 国产又爽又黄无码无遮挡在线观看| 最近中文字幕电影大全免费版| 中文字幕在线观看亚洲日韩| а√天堂中文官网8| 亚洲国产精品无码中文字| 一本一道AV无码中文字幕| 中文字幕在线观看有码| 久クク成人精品中文字幕| 久クク成人精品中文字幕 | 人妻少妇无码视频在线| 精品久久久久久无码免费| 人妻无码αv中文字幕久久琪琪布| 熟妇人妻AV无码一区二区三区| 精品无码人妻一区二区三区| 国产AV无码专区亚洲AV男同| a最新无码国产在线视频| 亚洲国产精品无码久久久久久曰|