Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    US on alert for more attacks, death toll rises from Kabul airport carnage

    Updated: 2021-08-28 06:08
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    US Marines with Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force - Crisis Response - Central Command, assist with security at an Evacuation Control Checkpoint (ECC) during an evacuation at Hamid Karzai International Airport, Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug 26. [Photo/Agencies]

    Aug 27 - US forces helping to evacuate Afghans desperate to flee new Taliban rule were on alert for more attacks on Friday after an Islamic State attack killed at least 92 people, including 13 US service members, just outside Kabul airport.

    Some US media said the death toll was far higher in Thursday's attack, which took place near the airport gates where thousands of people have gathered to try to get inside the airport and onto evacuation flights since the Taliban took control of the country on Aug. 15.

    Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said the United States believed there are still "specific, credible" threats against the airport.

    "We certainly are prepared and would expect future attempts," Kirby told reporters in Washington. "We're monitoring these threats, very, very specifically, virtually in real time.".

    US and allied forces are racing to complete evacuations of their citizens and vulnerable Afghans and to withdraw from Afghanistan by an Aug. 31 deadline set by President Joe Biden.

    Islamic State (ISIS), an enemy of the Islamist Taliban as well as the West, said one of its suicide bombers had targeted "translators and collaborators with the American army".

    The Pentagon said on Friday that the attack was carried out by one suicide bomber, not two as earlier thought.

    The number of Afghans killed has risen to 79, a hospital official told Reuters on Friday, adding that more than 120 were wounded. A Taliban official said the dead included 28 Taliban members, although a spokesman later denied any of their fighters guarding the airport perimeter had been killed.

    Some US media including the New York Times cited local health officials as saying as many as 170 people, not including the US troops, had died in the attack.

    The attack marked the first US military casualties in Afghanistan since February 2020 and represented the deadliest incident for American troops there in a decade.

    Biden was already facing strong criticism at home and abroad for the chaos surrounding the troop withdrawal that led to the Taliban's lightning advance to Kabul.

    The attack also underlined the realpolitik https://www.reuters.com/world/islamic-state-attack-signals-wests-least-bad-option-afghanistan-taliban-2021-08-27 facing Western powers in Afghanistan: Engaging with the Taliban who they have long sought to fend off may be their best chance to prevent the country sliding into a breeding ground for Islamist militancy.

    Medical staff in the operating theatres of Kabul's Emergency Hospital worked through the night treating casualties.

    "Everybody is concerned at this moment in Kabul, nobody knows what to expect in the coming hours," said Rossella Miccio, president of the Italian aid group that runs the hospital.

    'HUNT YOU DOWN'

    Biden said on Thursday evening he had ordered the Pentagon to plan how to strike ISIS-K https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/what-is-islamic-state-afghanistan-2021-08-26, the Islamic State affiliate that claimed responsibility. The group has killed dozens of people in attacks in Afghanistan in the past 12 months https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/recent-major-attacks-linked-islamic-state-afghanistan-2021-08-26.

    "We will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-warns-kabul-airport-attackers-we-will-hunt-you-down-2021-08-26 and make you pay," Biden said in televised comments from the White House.

    Biden has defended the troop withdrawal, saying the United States long ago achieved its original rationale for invading the country in 2001. The US-led invasion toppled the then-ruling Taliban, punishing them for harbouring al Qaeda militants who masterminded the Sept. 11 attacks that year.

    General Frank McKenzie, head of US Central Command, said on Thursday that the United States will press on with evacuations despite the threat of further attacks. He said some intelligence was being shared with the Taliban and he believed "some attacks have been thwarted by them".

    The United States said it would continue airlifting people right up to next Tuesday but will prioritize the removal of US troops and military equipment on the last couple of days.

    Most of the more than 20 allied countries involved in airlifting Afghans and their own citizens out of Kabul said they had completed evacuations https://www.reuters.com/world/evacuations-afghanistan-by-country-2021-08-26 by Friday.

    Taliban guards blocked access to the airport on Friday, witnesses said. "We had a flight but the situation is very tough and the roads are blocked," said one man on an airport approach road.

    The pace of flights accelerated on Friday and American passport holders had been allowed to enter the airport compound, according to a Western security official inside the airport.

    Another 12,500 people were evacuated from Afghanistan on Thursday, raising the total airlifted abroad by the forces of Western countries since Aug. 14 to about 105,000, https://www.reuters.com/world/evacuations-afghanistan-by-country-2021-08-26 the White House said on Friday.

    France has held talks with Taliban representatives https://www.reuters.com/world/france-held-talks-with-taliban-facilitate-evacuations-foreign-ministry-2021-08-27 in recent days in Kabul and in Doha to ease its ongoing evacuations, the foreign ministry said on Friday.

    Pakistani officials told Reuters that at the Torkham border crossing, Pakistani security forces had opened fire on a group of people trying to illegally enter Pakistan, adding that two Afghans were killed and two others wounded.

    Reuters

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲国产精品无码久久一线| 久热中文字幕无码视频| 人妻无码中文久久久久专区| 无码永久免费AV网站| 久久超乳爆乳中文字幕 | 中文无码喷潮在线播放| 亚洲韩国精品无码一区二区三区 | 国产精品无码素人福利不卡| 国产在线拍偷自揄拍无码| 亚洲精品成人无码中文毛片不卡 | 中文字幕第3页| 无码人妻一区二区三区在线水卜樱 | 亚洲爆乳精品无码一区二区| 无码国产午夜福利片在线观看| 最近最新中文字幕高清免费| 一区二区三区无码高清| 国产精品99精品无码视亚| 一区二区三区无码视频免费福利 | 中文最新版地址在线| 91无码人妻精品一区二区三区L| 亚洲AV综合色区无码另类小说| 最好看的最新高清中文视频| 久久婷婷综合中文字幕| 中文字幕VA一区二区三区| 免费无码又爽又黄又刺激网站 | 国产羞羞的视频在线观看 国产一级无码视频在线 | 最近中文字幕mv免费高清在线| 中文字幕日本人妻久久久免费| 亚洲 无码 在线 专区| 精品无码三级在线观看视频| av无码免费一区二区三区| 人妻精品久久无码专区精东影业| 无码国产乱人伦偷精品视频| 亚洲成AV人片在线观看无码| 久久无码AV中文出轨人妻| 国产成人麻豆亚洲综合无码精品| 一区二区三区在线观看中文字幕| 中文字幕手机在线观看| 国产色无码专区在线观看| 亚洲性无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码精品色午夜在线观看|