Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Africa

    Sudan lifts 7-month state of emergency

    By OTIATO OPALI in Nairobi, Kenya | China Daily | Updated: 2022-05-31 09:12
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Demonstrators gather outside the court in Khartoum, Sudan May 29, 2022. [Photo/Agencies]

    Sudan's Transitional Sovereign Council has announced the lifting of a state of emergency that was imposed seven months ago.

    The country's ruling security and defense council said on Sunday that the decision was made at a meeting headed by Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, the council's chairman. The council said the move was aimed at creating the right atmosphere for dialogue.

    "In order to create a conducive environment for a fruitful and meaningful dialogue that achieves stability during the transitional period, the Chairman of the Transitional Sovereign Council, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, today issued a decree lifting the state of emergency throughout the country," said the council in the statement.

    Sudan has been reeling from deepening unrest and protests since Al-Burhan, who is also the general commander of the Sudanese Armed Forces, declared a state of emergency on Oct 25 and dissolved the government.

    In Sunday's announcement, officials also recommended allowing the live TV unit of the Qatar-based Al Jazeera network to resume operations in Sudan.

    The action last year generated punitive measures against Sudan. These included crucial aid cuts by Western governments.

    According to local media, the security and defense council has also released 125 political detainees after months of detention under the state of emergency. However, the council in its statement said the lifting of the state of emergency should not contradict laws related to security issues or criminal law.

    The decision to lift the state of emergency was announced after United Nations Special Representative for Sudan Volker Perthes called for the country's leaders to lift the state of emergency.

    While addressing the UN Security Council in New York last week, Perthes said that time was short for Sudan to reach a solution to its protracted political crisis. He warned that if the impasse is not urgently overcome, the consequences will be felt beyond national borders and will impact a whole generation.

    On Wednesday, the UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan, the African Union and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development met under a trilateral mechanism that called for an end to violence and the lifting of the state of emergency. This, they said, is necessary to end the crisis in a way that leads to restoring the constitutional order and a transition according to agreed-upon foundations.

    Xinhua contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    全球中文成人在线| 人妻精品久久久久中文字幕 | 亚洲欧美精品一区久久中文字幕 | 国产亚洲3p无码一区二区 | 中文字幕AV中文字无码亚| 亚洲成?v人片天堂网无码| 亚洲AV永久无码精品成人| 亚洲中文字幕久久精品无码APP| 无码乱人伦一区二区亚洲| 中文字幕无码成人免费视频| 性色欲网站人妻丰满中文久久不卡| 无码囯产精品一区二区免费 | 亚洲国产精品无码成人片久久| 日本一区二区三区精品中文字幕| 内射无码午夜多人| 无码人妻AⅤ一区二区三区| 中文字幕手机在线观看| 新版天堂资源中文8在线| 亚洲高清有码中文字| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区人妖| 日木av无码专区亚洲av毛片| 亚洲国产精品无码AAA片| 日韩精品无码免费专区网站| 最近免费中文字幕高清大全 | 日韩三级中文字幕| 最近免费字幕中文大全视频| 香蕉伊蕉伊中文视频在线 | 中文字幕人妻丝袜乱一区三区| 国产精品无码一区二区在线| 播放亚洲男人永久无码天堂| 国产精品无码久久综合| 国产激情无码视频在线播放性色| 无码AV波多野结衣久久| 狠狠躁夜夜躁无码中文字幕| 精品三级AV无码一区| 精品无码一区二区三区爱欲九九| 蜜芽亚洲av无码精品色午夜| 久久久久久国产精品免费无码| 2024你懂的网站无码内射| 国产亚洲?V无码?V男人的天堂 | 色综合久久久久无码专区|