Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Asia-Pacific

    Indonesian leader orders probe into deadly stampede

    China Daily | Updated: 2022-10-03 07:54
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Officers examine a damaged police vehicle following a stampede at a stadium in Malang, East Java, Indonesia, on Saturday. [Photo/Agencies]

    JAKARTA — Indonesian President Joko Widodo on Sunday ordered a police investigation into a sporting stadium stampede that killed 125 people after a soccer match.

    "I also ordered the police to fully evaluate the security procedures" for soccer matches, the president told a news conference.

    He also instructed the nation's soccer association, the PSSI, to temporarily halt all soccer matches in the Southeast Asian country until the related investigation is completed.

    PSSI Secretary-General Yunus Nusi said that international soccer governing body FIFA had requested a report on the deadly incident and a PSSI team had been sent to the site to investigate.

    Two police officers were among those who were killed in the incident. The tragedy, one of the world's deadliest sporting stadium disasters, occurred on Saturday night at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang of Indonesia's East Java Province, right after Arema Malang club lost to Persebaya Surabaya in an Indonesian league soccer match.

    Local media reported that supporters of the losing home team climbed over the fence and entered the pitch, resulting in clashes with the police and a stampede.

    Reports said the riot police fired tear gas at people, which caused panic among crowds. People rushed to leave the stadium, leading to the stampede at an exit gate.

    Some suffocated and others were trampled as hundreds of people ran to the exit in an effort to avoid the tear gas. In the chaos, 34 died at the stadium and some reports include children among the casualties.

    "We have already done a preventive action before finally firing the tear gas as (fans) began to attack the police, acting anarchically and burning vehicles," East Java Police chief Nico Afinta said at a news conference early on Sunday.

    He said the death toll is likely to increase because many of the approximately 330 injured who are in intensive care at various hospitals were deteriorating.

    Indonesia's Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Mahfud MD said on his official social media account that there were no clashes between supporters of the rival teams in the match, because supporters of Persebaya, the winning team, had not been allowed to watch the match at the stadium.

    Xinhua

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    亚洲Av无码国产情品久久| 亚洲VA中文字幕无码一二三区 | 无码精品人妻一区二区三区漫画| 无码毛片一区二区三区中文字幕 | 亚洲欧洲中文日韩av乱码| 午夜精品久久久久久久无码| 亚洲不卡中文字幕无码| 亚洲国产日韩欧美在线a乱码日本中文字幕高清 | 亚洲AⅤ无码一区二区三区在线 | AV大片在线无码永久免费| 久久无码AV中文出轨人妻| 人妻少妇精品中文字幕AV| 精品无码专区亚洲| 无码国内精品人妻少妇| 亚洲午夜国产精品无码老牛影视 | 亚洲av无码不卡一区二区三区| 最近新中文字幕大全高清| 麻豆国产原创中文AV网站| 无码少妇一区二区浪潮av| 精品人无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV区无码字幕中文色| 精品亚洲成在人线AV无码| 中文精品久久久久人妻| 精品人妻V?出轨中文字幕| 中文字幕一区二区三区在线观看| 亚洲中文字幕一二三四区苍井空| 18禁黄无码高潮喷水乱伦| 国产拍拍拍无码视频免费| 少妇无码一区二区二三区| 亚洲AV无码国产在丝袜线观看| 亚洲精品无码成人AAA片| 精品亚洲AV无码一区二区| 精品亚洲AV无码一区二区三区| 中文字幕精品视频在线| 麻豆AV无码精品一区二区| 亚洲日本中文字幕| 欧美日韩亚洲中文字幕二区| 亚洲精品97久久中文字幕无码| 亚洲日本中文字幕一区二区三区| 中文字幕在线观看国产| 亚洲中文字幕无码不卡电影|