Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Asia-Pacific

    Military buildup in Australia stirs fears

    By KARL WILSON in Sydney | China Daily Global | Updated: 2022-11-09 09:53
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    People are silhouetted against the Sydney Opera House at sunset in Australia, on Nov 2, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]

    Reports of nuke-equipped US aircraft for base fit with secretive tradition

    The pandemic and rising household bills have left most Australians blissfully blind to a military buildup that has been taking place in the country's north.

    The Australian Broadcasting Corporation's flagship current affairs program Four Corners aired on Oct 31 a report outlining how the United States is upgrading a major Australian air force base near Darwin in the Northern Territory that will house at least six nuclear-capable B-52 bombers.

    The initiative will also involve major infrastructure upgrades at the Tindal Royal Australian Air Force base and a massive fuel storage depot near Darwin.

    In addition, the report exposed a major upgrade to the highly secretive Pine Gap intelligence-gathering facility near Alice Springs in Central Australia. So secretive is this facility that only a few Australians have clearance to enter it. During the Cold War, the former Soviet Union had the facility marked as a "must "target in the event of a nuclear war.

    Greg Sheridan, foreign editor of the right-wing, Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper The Australian, wrote in a commentary on Nov 1 that the reports of the B-52 deployment heralded a "growing 'prewar' environment".

    Australian Defense Minister Richard Marles, in a media conference on Nov 2, tried to play down the significance of the military buildup, saying that nuclear-capable US bombers had been visiting Australia since the 1980s.

    In a media briefing on Oct 31, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian, when asked to comment on the reports, said the move by the US and Australia "escalates regional tensions, gravely undermines regional peace and stability, and may trigger an arms race in the region".

    "China urges parties concerned to abandon the outdated Cold War zero-sum mentality and narrow geopolitical mindset, and do more things that are good for regional peace and stability and mutual trust among all parties," he said.

    Zhao said that any defense and security cooperation between countries must "contribute to regional peace and stability and must not target any third party or undermine their interests".

    But Marles said that those against the buildup should "take a deep breath".

    "What we're talking about is a US investment in the infrastructure at Tindal, which will help make that infrastructure more capable for Australia as well," the minister said.

    Objection voiced

    David Shoebridge, an Australian Greens senator and the group's defense spokesman, objected to the B-52 deployment, saying in a tweet: "This is a dangerous escalation. It makes Australia an even bigger part of the global nuclear weapons threat to humanity's very existence — and by rising military tensions it further destabilizes our region."

    Indonesia has, in the past, voiced its concern over Australia's nuclear direction, especially following the formation of the AUKUS security pact for military cooperation with the United Kingdom and the US.

    Jim Green, national nuclear campaigner with environmental and social justice organization Friends of the Earth Australia, said: "The plan to base nuclear-capable B-52 bombers at RAAF Tindal escalates and worsens a pattern of Australia providing practical and political support for the US nuclear weapons program."

    In an email to China Daily, Green said: "Australia should refuse to allow US nuclear weapons to be located on Australian territory under any circumstances. The federal Labor government has committed to signing and ratifying the UN's Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. The stationing of nuclear weapons on Australian soil flies in the face of the government's commitment to the UN Treaty."

    Reports of the impending deployment came days after the administration of US President Joe Biden released a Nuclear Posture Review that nonproliferation advocates said makes catastrophe more, rather than less, likely.

    When it comes to the US' deployment of weapons of mass destruction in the region, Australia is not alone.

    The Saipan Tribune noted in a report in January that during the Cold War, Guam was a target of the Soviet military in part because it was home to US Navy submarines that carried intercontinental ballistic missiles containing nuclear warheads. "The United States has not spent … money to fully protect Guam and the Chamorro people from military attack," the report said, referring to the Indigenous people in Guam.

    And the same holds true for Australia.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    无码乱人伦一区二区亚洲一| 精品少妇无码AV无码专区| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区66| 精品亚洲成α人无码成α在线观看 | 无码精品久久一区二区三区| 无码成人精品区在线观看| 中文字幕无码久久久| 无码中文人妻视频2019| 亚洲欧美日韩中文字幕二区 | 日本中文字幕一区二区有码在线| 亚洲va无码专区国产乱码| 最近中文字幕mv免费高清在线 | av无码播放一级毛片免费野外| 久久精品无码一区二区WWW| 99高清中文字幕在线| 影院无码人妻精品一区二区| 精品久久久久久无码国产| 人妻丰满熟妞av无码区| 亚洲精品无码mv在线观看网站| 在线中文字幕精品第5页| 一本大道香蕉中文在线高清| 伊人久久无码中文字幕| 亚洲精品国产日韩无码AV永久免费网 | 亚洲午夜无码久久久久小说| 国产亚洲3p无码一区二区| 无码人妻一区二区三区在线视频| 亚洲国产综合无码一区| 夜夜添无码试看一区二区三区| 中文字幕精品久久| 日日麻批免费40分钟无码| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区99性 | 色综合中文综合网| 中文字幕精品亚洲无线码二区 | 欧美中文字幕无线码视频| 亚洲一区精品中文字幕| 最近最好最新2019中文字幕免费| 新版天堂资源中文8在线| 色综合久久中文色婷婷| 久久伊人中文无码| 精品久久久无码人妻中文字幕| 无码区日韩特区永久免费系列|