Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Myanmar quake

    S. Asian nations join quake relief efforts

    By XU WEIWEI in Hong Kong | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2025-03-31 21:45
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Rescuers discuss rescue plans after an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, March 30, 2025. [Photo/Xinhua]

    South Asian nations extended condolences and offered assistance to Myanmar and Thailand, joining moves by several other countries around the world particularly China, in showing solidarity following the devastating March 28 earthquake.

    Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, in a statement on March 29, commiserated the loss of human lives and affirmed support to those affected by the disaster.

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also offered Pakistan's assistance to Myanmar and Thailand, saying "our thoughts and prayers are with the people of both countries as they pass through this difficult time".

    "Pakistan stands in solidarity with Thailand and Myanmar, offers our support and wishes them strength, safety, and a swift recovery from this catastrophe," Sharif said in a message posted on social media platform X.

    Pakistan's foreign ministry said earlier that Pakistani embassies in Yangon and Bangkok are fully operational to assist Pakistani nationals. The government set up a crisis management unit to assist Pakistanis affected by the quake.

    Myanmar is still reeling from the powerful earthquake that struck the country at 12.51 pm local time on March 28, with rescue and relief efforts ongoing. As of March 30, the death toll from the quake passed 1,700 in the country, with thousands injured and hundreds missing. The toll could rise further as search efforts are continuing at many structures that have been destroyed.

    Meanwhile, in neighboring Thailand, rescuers in Bangkok are still searching the rubble at the site of a collapsed high-rise building that was under construction in the capital city. At least 11 people, believed to be construction workers, have been confirmed dead while dozens remain missing at the site.

    Following the devastating earthquake, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke with Myanmar's leader Min Aung Hlaing on the morning of March 29. "Conveyed our deep condolences at the loss of lives in the devastating earthquake," Modi said in a post on X. "As a close friend and neighbor, India stands in solidarity with the people of Myanmar in this difficult hour".

    In a rapid response to the calamity, India launched "Operation Brahma", a rescue and relief effort to provide urgent humanitarian assistance to victims of the disaster.

    Local media reported that India dispatched 15 metric tons of relief material by aircraft to Yangon, including essential supplies such as tents, sleeping bags, blankets, ready-to-eat meals and generator sets.

    According to an Indian foreign ministry spokesperson, Randhir Jaiswal, New Delhi sent two naval ships with relief supplies to Myanmar, with the vessels set to arrive in Yangon on March 31. Another two will follow to strengthen the aid.

    Besides, the Indian army will establish a 60-bed medical treatment center to provide immediate care to those injured. The facility will be capable of handling trauma cases, emergency surgeries, and essential medical services to support the local healthcare system, which has been severely strained by the disaster, the ministry said in a statement.

    The statement added that the deployment has been coordinated closely with the foreign ministry and in partnership with authorities in Myanmar.

    Besides, India on March 29 dispatched an 80-member National Disaster Response Force team for specialist search and rescue efforts in the quake-affected region of Nay Pyi Taw.

    Among other South Asian nations, Maldives is working through its embassy in Thailand to guarantee the safety of its citizens in the region.

    According to Maldives' foreign ministry, one of the areas most severely affected by the earthquake in Myanmar is an area where a large number of Maldivians live. Based on the information received so far, Maldivians living in Thailand are reported to be safe, the ministry said in a statement.

    Meanwhile, a statement by the Sri Lankan foreign ministry said that Sri Lanka stands in solidarity with those affected by the earthquake that struck Myanmar and Thailand.

    "Our sincere condolences to those that have lost loved ones and we wish those that have suffered injuries a speedy recovery," it said.

    The ministry added that Sri Lankans in Thailand and Myanmar are requested to remain vigilant and be in touch with respective Sri Lankan embassies in the quake-affected nations.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    久久无码av三级| 中文字幕精品无码久久久久久3D日动漫| 炫硕日本一区二区三区综合区在线中文字幕 | 日韩人妻无码一区二区三区久久99| JLZZJLZZ亚洲乱熟无码| 麻豆国产精品无码视频| 永久免费无码网站在线观看个| 人妻丝袜中文无码av影音先锋专区 | 亚洲av无码国产精品色午夜字幕 | 中文字幕日本精品一区二区三区| 性无码专区一色吊丝中文字幕| 人妻系列无码专区无码中出| 国产中文在线亚洲精品官网| 久久精品人妻中文系列| 久久精品国产亚洲AV无码麻豆| 亚洲大尺度无码专区尤物| 一区二区中文字幕| √天堂中文www官网| 中文字幕亚洲精品无码| 亚洲AⅤ无码一区二区三区在线 | 精品人妻系列无码人妻免费视频| 久久亚洲AV无码精品色午夜| 丰满人妻AV无码一区二区三区| 国产亚洲精久久久久久无码| 无码人妻熟妇AV又粗又大| 亚洲成AV人在线播放无码| 中文字幕人妻无码一夲道| 中文字幕乱人伦| 毛片免费全部播放无码| 在线播放无码后入内射少妇| 免费无码又爽又刺激网站| 国产在线无码精品电影网 | 久久久久久国产精品免费无码| 无码专区AAAAAA免费视频| 亚欧免费无码aⅴ在线观看| 熟妇人妻无码中文字幕| 国产精品无码久久综合| 精品久久久久久无码中文野结衣| 免费无码又爽又黄又刺激网站| 无码人妻久久一区二区三区蜜桃| 中文字幕在线观看亚洲视频|