Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Asia-Pacific

    Australia Post halts parcels amid levies

    By XIN XIN and ALEXIS HOOI in Sydney | China Daily | Updated: 2025-08-27 09:21
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    Postal services provider Australia Post said on Tuesday it was partially suspending international parcel deliveries to the United States, following similar moves by other carriers worldwide facing US tariffs.

    The government-owned corporation said in a statement it was "temporarily partially suspending international parcel services to the US" due to Washington's recent announcement of "significant changes to its import tariff rules that will impact customers sending items from Australia to the US and Puerto Rico".

    Low-value packages en route to the US had been previously subject to the "de minimis" treatment, which allowed parcels worth less than $800 to enter the country duty-free.

    However, an executive order by US President Donald Trump ended the allowance, effective on Friday. Parcels will now be subject to duties under US tariff moves, which impose a baseline 10 percent tariff on Australian goods.

    Letters and documents of no commercial value are not impacted by the new tariff rules or temporary suspension, Australia Post said, adding that it has partnered with a third-party provider "to help our business contract customers comply with the new duty payment requirements".

    Australia Post's move comes after several European carriers stopped shipments to the US because of the new rules.

    Deutsche Post and DHL Parcel Germany are no longer able to accept and transport parcels and postal items containing goods from business customers destined for the US after Aug 22, according to parent company DHL Group.

    Similarly, Swiss Post said it would temporarily be unable to accept any postal goods consignments to the US from Tuesday "due to the US government's new customs regulations, which affect all postal companies worldwide".

    New Zealand's postal services provider NZ Post confirmed in a statement that, with all items sent from the country subject to a 15 percent tariff, "regardless of value", from Aug 29, its suspension of parcel services into the US and US territories will be temporary, and it is "working on getting solutions in place as fast as we possibly can".

    The temporary suspension by Australia Post is expected to impact both business and retail customers sending goods through the postal network to the US, reported the Australian Associated Press.

    Disappointment expressed

    "We are disappointed we have had to take this action," it quoted Australia Post executive general manager for parcel, post, and e-commerce services, Gary Starr, as saying.

    "However, due to the complex and rapidly evolving situation, a temporary partial suspension has been necessary to allow us to develop and implement a workable solution for our customers," he said.

    "Australia Post continues to work with the US and Australian authorities and international postal partners to resume postal service to the US as a priority."

    The US decision to remove exemptions from tariffs and duties for low-value imports would only raise costs for US consumers and small businesses, Australia's Seven News TV network reported, citing a spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

    The government of Prime Minister Anthony Albanese "will work with Australia Post to limit disruptions for affected customers while they make adjustments to comply with new requirements … We continue to advocate for the removal of all tariffs on Australian exports, in line with our free trade agreement".

    Nicola Charwat, senior lecturer at Monash University, said the impact in Australia would be mostly felt by small businesses that sell directly to US consumers.

    "This includes businesses specializing in sustainable clothing and gifts, as well as distinctly Australian goods such as cosmetics, food and wine. These parcels will now be subject to a 10 percent baseline tariff," Reuters quoted Charwat as saying.

    Agencies contributed to this story.

     

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    精品人妻无码专区中文字幕 | 亚洲乱码中文字幕综合234| 国精品无码一区二区三区在线 | 亚洲一日韩欧美中文字幕欧美日韩在线精品一区二 | 中文字幕1级在线| 在线观看免费无码视频| 四虎成人精品无码| 免费精品久久久久久中文字幕| 日韩精选无码| 18无码粉嫩小泬无套在线观看| 免费无码av片在线观看| 精品久久久久久久久久中文字幕| 亚洲成a人在线看天堂无码 | 亚洲中文字幕AV在天堂| 国产精品三级在线观看无码 | 丰满熟妇人妻Av无码区| 亚洲国产综合无码一区| 精品日韩亚洲AV无码一区二区三区| 精品久久久久久无码中文野结衣| 久久精品中文字幕大胸| 永久无码精品三区在线4| 国产日韩精品无码区免费专区国产 | 日韩精品中文字幕无码一区| 成人午夜福利免费无码视频| 最近最新中文字幕视频| 精选观看中文字幕高清无码| 在线播放中文字幕| 国产区精品一区二区不卡中文| 久久精品中文无码资源站| 中文字幕人妻无码一夲道| 最近中文字幕在线中文视频| 中文字幕无码第1页| 久久中文娱乐网| www日韩中文字幕在线看| 亚洲欧美日韩中文字幕一区二区三区 | 亚洲AV中文无码乱人伦下载 | 潮喷失禁大喷水aⅴ无码| 少妇人妻无码专区视频| 国产乱人无码伦av在线a| 国产网红主播无码精品| 中文无码熟妇人妻AV在线|