Home>News Center>World
             
     

    Syria fighting probe of assassination
    (AP)
    Updated: 2005-12-01 11:04

    Syria is fighting back hard against the U.N. inquiry into the slaying of a Lebanese politician, touting a witness who says his testimony against Syrian officials was false.

    Some say Bashar Assad's government is just trying to discredit an investigation that could lead to its doorstep.

    Syrian barber and self-proclaimed intelligence operative Husam Taher Husam came forward Sunday with claims he lied to investigators about Syria's involvement in the Feb. 14 bombing in Beirut that killed Rafik Hariri, a former Lebanese prime minister.

    Husam alleged he had been offered money by the Hariri family and Lebanese officials to frame Syria, accusations rejected in Beirut.

    Syria's U.N. Ambassador Fayssal Mekdad called Wednesday for U.N. investigators to re-evaluate their initial findings that implicated Syrian and Lebanese security officials in the assassination. He also demanded that Lebanese authorities conduct their own investigation into the effort to mislead the investigation and give Mehlis "false information."

    "Such things should not take place and we want the commission and the Lebanese authorities to follow closely these developments and to bring to justice all those who wanted to fabricate witnesses and to mislead the commission," he said in an interview at U.N. headquarters in New York.

    But Syria's Lebanese opponents suspect Damascus planted Husam to undermine the U.N. commission and its lead investigator, German prosecutor Detlev Mehlis.

    Walid Jumblatt, a leader of the campaign to drive Syria from Lebanon, ridiculed the TV appearances as a "laughable farce" carried out by Syrian intelligence. He said the appearances were aimed at undermining Mehlis' credibility before he questions five senior Syrian officials implicated in the probe.

    U.N. Undersecretary-General for Political Affairs Ibrahim Gambari said the questioning is due to take place in Vienna starting Dec. 5 and likely continuing through Dec. 7. He also told reporters in New York that the investigation needs to be extended because some witnesses have still not been interviewed, there are new witnesses, and some physical evidence has yet to be analyzed.

    Mehlis's interim report to the U.N. last month said Syria 錕斤拷 which controlled Lebanon at the time of Hariri's assassination 錕斤拷 must have known about, and may have been involved in, the plot to kill him.

    Syria denies any role in Hariri's death and its officials have rejected the interim report, accusing Hariri's son, Saad, and his political allies in Lebanon of seeking to frame Syria with the backing of the United States.

    A Syrian judicial committee conducting its own inquiry said Husam's revelations dealt a "knockout blow" to the Mehlis report.

    Mehlis has confirmed that Husam was a witness in his probe but has not commented on the impact of his recantment.

    Chibli Mallat, a professor of international law who is campaigning to be Lebanon's next president, called Husam's appearance a "childish spoof" and said he didn't believe it would have much practical effect on Mehlis' inquiry.

    "My sense is that they (investigators) didn't take his inital testimony seriously," he told The Associated Press.

    The commission 錕斤拷 which began work in June and could extend it beyond a Dec. 15 deadline 錕斤拷 has faced other problems.

    - A man who was questioned about the sale of cellular phone chips used by those allegedly involved in Hariri's bombing was found dead last week on a mountain road northeast of Beirut, in what was ruled as a car accident.

    - One of four pro-Syrian security generals charged with involvement in the killing, former military intelligence chief Raymond Azar, was rushed from jail to a hospital with heart problems on Wednesday. He was reported in stable condition in the intensive care unit.

    - Ghazi Kenaan, the Syrian interior minister who ran Lebanon for two decades, died in his office in Damascus about a month after being interviewed by the commission. Syrian officials declared it a suicide but some in Lebanon believe he was killed.



    AIDS awareness campaign
    Saddam trial resumes
    Israel's Peres may quit Labour for Sharon party
     
      Today's Top News     Top World News
     

    China to keep HIV carrier cases below 1.5m by 2010

     

       
     

    China rules out meeting with Koizumi

     

       
     

    US, China urged to cooperate in energy

     

       
     

    Virus outbreaks may change poultry raising

     

       
     

    Toxins make second China city cut water

     

       
     

    China cars no threat to Japan: report

     

       
      Bush maps out Iraq war strategy
       
      Iran to resume nuclear talks with EU
       
      Israel's Peres quits Labor Party to back Sharon
       
      Merkel, facing Iraq hostage crisis, charts course for Germany
       
      Syria fighting probe of assassination
       
      Fox begins last year as Mexico's president
       
     
      Go to Another Section  
     
     
      Story Tools  
       
      News Talk  
      Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
    Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
    Advertisement
             
    国产在线拍偷自揄拍无码| 亚洲av无码国产精品色在线看不卡| 久久久久亚洲AV无码专区桃色| 亚洲日本va午夜中文字幕久久 | 人妻精品久久久久中文字幕一冢本 | 一区二区三区人妻无码| 中文字幕一区二区人妻| 国产精品亚洲а∨无码播放| 在线观看片免费人成视频无码| 欧美人妻aⅴ中文字幕| 国产精品午夜无码AV天美传媒| 亚洲熟妇无码AV在线播放| a亚洲欧美中文日韩在线v日本| 亚洲一级特黄无码片| 精品人妻无码一区二区色欲产成人 | 中文字幕无码免费久久| 91精品无码久久久久久五月天| 亚洲av永久无码精品表情包| 日本爆乳j罩杯无码视频| 精品久久久久久久中文字幕 | 亚洲国产精品无码久久九九| 国产乱子伦精品无码码专区| 无码aⅴ精品一区二区三区浪潮| 中文字幕有码无码AV| 日本无码小泬粉嫩精品图| AV色欲无码人妻中文字幕| 日韩三级中文字幕| 日韩欧美一区二区三区中文精品 | 日韩精品中文字幕无码一区| 国产亚洲中文日本不卡二区| 亚洲成A人片在线观看无码3D | 国产精品无码久久综合| 无码少妇一区二区| 无码专区永久免费AV网站| 亚洲国产成人片在线观看无码| 亚洲Av永久无码精品三区在线| 亚洲va无码专区国产乱码| 无码精品国产VA在线观看| 久久久久亚洲av无码专区导航| 狠狠躁夜夜躁无码中文字幕| 99久久无码一区人妻|