Home>News Center>World
             
     

    Zawahri not present during attack - official
    (AFP)
    Updated: 2006-01-14 09:18

    ISLAMABAD, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Al Qaeda's second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahri, was not in a village near the Afghan border that was hit by a a U.S. airstrike early on Friday morning, a senior Pakistani government official said on Saturday.

    This is an undated handout picture of Ayman al-Zawahri, said to be the right hand man of al-Qaida terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. [AP]

    "Al-Zawahri was not there at the time of the attack," the official told Reuters, after U.S. intelligence sources in Washington had earlier said the airstrike that killed at least 18 people in northern Pakistan had targeted Osama bin Laden's deputy.

    Al Qaeda No.2 may have been killed: US media

    Al-Qaeda number two Ayman al-Zawahiri may have been killed in a US strike on a Pakistani village which left 18 dead, US media reported.

    ABC television quoted Pakistani military sources as saying five of those killed were "high level Al-Qaeda figures" whose bodies are undergoing forensic tests for identification.

    They said Osama bin Laden's deputy, who has been known to stay at houses in the village, may have been one of the victims.

    Citing US defense sources, NBC television said the strike targeted Zawahiri, who has been indicted in the United States for his role in 1998 attacks on US embassies in Africa.

    NBC quoted Pakistani sources as saying the strikes were probably carried out by CIA Predator drones which fired up to 10 missiles in the village in the tribal zones of eastern Pakistan.

    A CIA spokesman in Washington declined to comment on the reports.

    The strike targeted a village which the reports said were a known hideout of Zawahiri and other Al-Qaeda figures.

    Residents in the village of Mamund reported the attack earlier and said 18 people had been killed.

    But the US Defense Department denied that the US military had carried out any attacks in the area.

    "There is no reason to believe the US military is conducting operations there," said Lieutenant Colonel Todd Vician.
    Page: 12



    Japan issues avalanche warnings after heavy snowfall
    345 killed in Hajj stampede
    Tokyo Auto Salon 2006 in Chiba
     
      Today's Top News     Top World News
     

    2 billion trips expected during holiday travel peak

     

       
     

    Four Chinese among 362 haj stampede fatalities

     

       
     

    Zawahri not present during attack - official

     

       
     

    EU 'made wrong decision on shoe industry

     

       
     

    UN praises China for combating pollution

     

       
     

    Car sales and output top 5.7 million last year

     

       
      Snow-hit Japan warns of avalanches, landslides
       
      24 killed by viral influenza in mid-western Nepal
       
      Zawahri not present during attack - official
       
      Saddam trial judge Amin plans to quit
       
      Sharon in a 'very worrying' condition on the ninth day of coma
       
      Iran: nuclear issue goes not to UN, or no co-op
       
     
      Go to Another Section  
     
     
      Story Tools  
       
      News Talk  
      Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
    Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
    Advertisement
             
    久久久久久久久无码精品亚洲日韩| 国产亚洲美日韩AV中文字幕无码成人| 狠狠噜天天噜日日噜无码 | 亚洲一区无码中文字幕| 亚洲无码精品浪潮| 亚洲AV无码AV男人的天堂| 免费在线中文日本| 中文字幕无码av激情不卡久久| 无码精品人妻一区二区三区漫画| 伊人蕉久中文字幕无码专区 | 4444亚洲人成无码网在线观看| 97无码人妻福利免费公开在线视频| 天堂网www中文在线| 岛国av无码免费无禁网| 无码成A毛片免费| 无码人妻久久久一区二区三区| 伊人久久精品无码二区麻豆| 精品久久久久久久久久中文字幕 | 丰满人妻AV无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV无码1区2区久久| 亚洲午夜无码久久久久| 人妻无码精品久久亚瑟影视| 中文成人久久久久影院免费观看| 精品人妻中文字幕有码在线| 中文一国产一无码一日韩| 中文国产成人精品久久亚洲精品AⅤ无码精品| 精品无码国产一区二区三区AV | 国产AⅤ无码专区亚洲AV| 免费无码国产欧美久久18| 中文字幕精品无码久久久久久3D日动漫| 中文字幕在线观看亚洲日韩| 中文字幕欧美日韩| 中文字幕无码久久久| 成人麻豆日韩在无码视频| 国产AV无码专区亚洲AV漫画| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区系列| 无码h黄动漫在线播放网站| 国产在线无码不卡影视影院| A级毛片无码久久精品免费| 特级小箩利无码毛片| 乱人伦中文视频在线|