Home>News Center>China
           
     

    Chinese peacekeepers in Cote d'Ivoire safe
    By Yu Zhong (China Daily)
    Updated: 2006-01-21 07:00

    Seven Chinese UN peacekeepers in Cote d'Ivoire were all reported safe, as a four-day violent anti-UN demonstration in the country calmed down on Thursday.

    Xinhua confirmed that two of them are staying in Abidjan, the country's commercial centre, and the rest are based in different areas.

    There are no reported deaths of Chinese people, either.

    The Chinese Embassy in Cote d'Ivoire told China Daily that demonstrators had been dispersed on Thursday afternoon and "the tension has already eased."

    Xinhua said protesters had left the places they had besieged for several days, including the French military base and the United Nations' headquarters in Abidjan.

    The UN reported no deaths of its peacekeepers in the country during the four-day demonstration.

    Cote d'Ivoire has been separated between a government-controlled south and a rebel-held north since a failed coup in September 2002. About 6,000 UN peacekeepers and 4,000 French troops were stationed to try to maintain peace in 2004. Chinese observers and strategists began to join the UN peacekeeping force in the same year.

    The latest demonstration was ignited last week by a suggestion from the UN to dismiss Cote d'Ivoire's congress, which supports President Laurent Gbagbo.

    Gbagbo's supporters, organized by the ruling Ivorian Popular Front (IPF), condemned the UN and France for their interference into Cote d'Ivoire's affairs and started a large anti-UN protest in some parts of the country on Sunday.

    On Wednesday, a swarm of protesters attacked the UN peacekeeping camp in Guiglo, a western town.

    After an exchange of gunfire, four protestors were shot dead and 12 wounded by the peacekeepers.

    Peacekeepers retreated after the attack and about 2,000 demonstrators took up the camp afterwards.

    According to the UN Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN), Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo flew late that day to Cote d'Ivoire for talks.

    After several hours of discussions, Obasanjo, Gbagbo and new Prime Minister Charles Konan Banny issued a statement saying: "The UN working group does not have the power to dissolve the national assembly The working group has not dissolved the national assembly."

    Following the statement, the leader of Cote d'Ivoire's Young Patriot, a youth group in favour of Gbagbo, asked on Thursday for its members who had led the demonstrations to pack up their roadblocks and go home, IRIN reported.

    On the same day, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan expressed his "deep concern" at the situation in Cote d'Ivoire, condemning the "orchestrated violence directed against the United Nations, the population, as well as the inactions of some national authorities in responding to the situation," IRIN quoted him as saying.

    (China Daily 01/21/2006 page1)



    Blizzards bring transport chaos in Henan
    Direct flight between Taiwan and the mainland
    100,000 stranded at railway station
      Today's Top News     Top China News
     

    Spring Festival chartered flights start

     

       
     

    Koizumi's China remark conflicting - analyst

     

       
     

    Bad weather puts extra pressure on transport

     

       
     

    Chinese peacekeepers in Cote d'Ivoire safe

     

       
     

    Finding solutions to 'white pollution'

     

       
     

    China's yuan closes at new high vs dollar

     

       
      China proposes six-party nuclear talks in Feb.
       
      Chinese peacekeepers in Cote d'Ivoire safe
       
      Finding solutions to 'white pollution'
       
      Agriculture, fixed assets investment topping focus
       
      Gas pipeline blast kills 9 in Sichuan
       
      Spring Festival chartered flights start
       
     
      Go to Another Section  
     
     
      Story Tools  
       
      News Talk  
      It is time to prepare for Beijing - 2008  
    Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
    Advertisement
             
    亚洲AV人无码激艳猛片| 中文字幕视频免费| 中文字幕不卡亚洲| 亚洲AV无码一区二三区| 无码AV波多野结衣久久| 亚欧成人中文字幕一区| 亚洲国产精品无码久久久久久曰 | 中文字幕 亚洲 有码 在线| 色综合AV综合无码综合网站| 日韩精品无码视频一区二区蜜桃| 中文字幕Av一区乱码| 国产亚洲情侣一区二区无码AV| 亚洲日产无码中文字幕| 中文字幕日韩三级片| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线播放| 国产AV无码专区亚洲AVJULIA| 亚洲精品无码MV在线观看| 911国产免费无码专区| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线r▽| 无码人妻丰满熟妇区五十路| 中文字幕免费高清视频| 一级电影在线播放无码| 国产精品无码久久四虎| 少妇无码AV无码专区在线观看| 中文精品久久久久人妻| 最近中文字幕高清字幕在线视频 | 草草久久久无码国产专区| 亚洲爆乳无码专区| 亚洲AV无码日韩AV无码导航 | 日韩乱码人妻无码系列中文字幕 | 无码精品视频一区二区三区| 在线观看片免费人成视频无码| 中文字幕在线播放| 人妻AV中出无码内射| 日韩AV高清无码| 亚洲VA中文字幕无码毛片| 亚洲av永久无码精品网站| 亚洲Av无码精品色午夜| 无码人妻AV免费一区二区三区 | 精品无码人妻久久久久久| 国产精品毛片无码|