您現在的位置: > Language Tips > Easy English > Today in History  
     





     
    May 13
    [ 2007-05-14 08:00 ]

    The Pope collapsed into the arms of an aide after being shot four times
    1981: Thousands see Pope shot in Rome

    England have

    The Pope has been shot four times as he blessed the crowds in St Peter's Square in Rome.

    Surgeons have performed a five-hour operation and say they hope he will make a full recovery.

    At about 1715 local time, the Pope was being driven in his Popemobile through a crowd of about 20,000 worshippers when he was hit by four bullets fired from a 9mm pistol some 15 feet away.

    Two struck him in the stomach, one in his right arm and the fourth hit his little finger.

    Police arrested a 23-year-old man who said he was a Turkish citizen and gave his name as Mehmet Ali Hagca.

    He kept repeating: "I couldn't care less about life."

    The Turkish press has reported Hagca was jailed for the killing of Turkish newspaper editor Abdi Ipecki in February 1979. But he escaped from prison and left behind a letter vowing to kill the pontiff just before the Pope visited Turkey in 1979.

    Horrified witnesses

    Many of those who witnessed the shooting in the crowded square burst into tears, or screamed and fell to their knees in disbelief.

    The Pope collapsed and was driven at speed into the Vatican complex and from there by ambulance to hospital.

    Vatican Radio has appealed to the world to pray for his survival.

    The Queen and the Archbishop of Canterbury have expressed their shock and deep sympathy for the Pope and his followers.

    Pope John Paul II, formerly Cardinal Karol Wojtyla of Poland, became Pope in 1978. He is the first non-Italian pope in 455 years.

    He is also the most widely travelled pontiff in the Vatican's history. Vatican officials have often said in private that they feared for his safety during his frequent contacts with enthusiastic crowds wherever he goes.

    Former Spitfire pilot Jackie Mann has lived in Lebanon for 40 years

    1989: British war hero 'seized' in Beirut

    Artificially 1969:
    The
    A British war hero is feared kidnapped after he disappeared in the Lebanese capital Beirut.
    Jackie Mann, 74, an ex-squadron leader and Spitfire pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain, vanished after leaving his home in the city to go to a bank.

    It is feared that Mr Mann has joined the three other UK hostages believed to be held by the pro-Iranian Hezbollah party.

    Mr Mann's wife Sunnie has made an emotional appeal for his release on Lebanon Television.

    Mrs Mann said: "I appeal to whomsoever is holding my husband to return him to me."

    Mrs Mann told reporters: "We are just a couple who have lived in Lebanon for over 40 years because we loved the place and its people."

    There are concerns for Mr Mann's welfare because he suffers from a skin problem which requires medication after being badly burnt when he was shot down as a pilot.

    The previously unknown group Armed Struggle Cells has claimed it has a British "captive" although it did not mention Mr Mann by name. But the claim is being treated with caution.

    The group has demanded the release of Palestinian prisoners it said were being held in Britain accused of killing Palestinian cartoonist Naji al-Ali in 1987.

    However, Scotland Yard said no-one linked to the murder was being held in the UK.

    A Foreign Office spokesman has confirmed that Mr Mann is missing but said there was no independent evidence that he had been kidnapped.

    Officials are checking hospitals in the Lebanon, police and local authorities in Beirut in the search for Mr Mann.

    The British embassy had warned three days before Mr Mann was seized that a Shia group was preparing to take another Western hostage.

    The Foreign Office and British embassy in Lebanon had renewed warnings to British citizens still living in Beirut to leave immediately following the Salman Rushdie affair in February.

    A fatwa, or religious edict, was issued by Iran's Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini after the publication of Mr Rushdie's novel "The Satanic Verses". Khomeini said Muslims had a duty to kill Mr Rushdie for blaspheming Islam in his novel.

    Concerns have also been mounting after the Speaker of the Iranian parliament, Hashemi Rafsanjani, urged Palestinians to kill five Westerners for every Palestinian killed by Israelis in the occupied territories.

    Meanwhile, a 24-year-old West German aid worker, Marcus Quint, who was kidnapped earlier this month has been released at the headquarters of the pro-Syrian Amal militia without any explanation.  

    Vocabulary:
     

    fatwa: (伊斯蘭教)裁決,決斷

    blaspheme: to speak of (God or a sacred entity) in an irreverent, impious manner(褻瀆,咒罵)








     
     
    相關文章 Related Stories
     
             
     
     
     
     
     
             
     
     

    48小時內最熱門

         

    本頻道最新推薦

         
      2007年母親節特輯
      為什么會有黃昏
      向媽媽表達我的愛
      為什么月亮跟著我們走?
      Hair dressing

    論壇熱貼

         
      英語點津開博客,大家覺得怎么樣?
      快快加入“凈臉兩周年特別活動”
      給某人留點面子,咋說?
      請教“嗜好”怎么翻譯?
      "a pool report"是不是“聯合報道”?
      “走著瞧”可以說go and see 么!?






    最近中文字幕在线中文视频| 亚洲AV永久纯肉无码精品动漫| 国产成人无码一区二区三区在线| 亚洲Aⅴ无码一区二区二三区软件| 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩蜜臀浪潮| 亚洲精品无码久久久| 亚洲av无码一区二区乱子伦as | 亚洲av中文无码| 无码AV大香线蕉| 久久久久亚洲AV无码麻豆| 国产成人无码AV麻豆| 在线免费中文字幕| 国产亚洲中文日本不卡二区| 国产网红无码精品视频| 亚洲AV无码1区2区久久| 无码任你躁久久久久久老妇App | 亚洲精品无码高潮喷水在线| 中文字幕精品视频| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久精品1 | 国产成人午夜无码电影在线观看 | 亚洲av日韩av无码| 久久久无码精品亚洲日韩京东传媒 | 最近中文字幕完整版资源 | 日本免费中文视频| 中文字幕乱码无码人妻系列蜜桃| 国产高清无码视频| 国产V亚洲V天堂A无码| 无码精品一区二区三区在线| 亚洲精品无码高潮喷水在线| 中文字幕无码日韩专区| 精品无码国产自产在线观看水浒传 | 自拍偷在线精品自拍偷无码专区| 最好看的电影2019中文字幕| 最近最新高清免费中文字幕| 人妻精品久久久久中文字幕| 中文字幕精品一区影音先锋| 日韩欧美中文在线| 日韩在线中文字幕制服丝袜| 在线天堂中文新版www| 日韩精品无码免费专区网站| 国产成人无码区免费内射一片色欲|