Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Walmart to stop selling ammunition for assault-style rifles

    chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-09-04 02:25
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A customer pushes a shopping cart outside a Walmart store, in Walpole, Massachusetts, the United States, Sept 3, 2019. [Photo/IC]

    Walmart, the US's largest retailer, announced on Tuesday that it will stop selling ammunition for assault-style rifles and handguns, one month after a gunman walked into an El Paso, Texas, Walmart with an AK-style semiautomatic rifle and killed 22 people.

    Walmart said it will stop selling the ammunition after selling all its current inventory for assault-style rifles and handguns.

    The move is expected to reduce Walmart's share of the nation's ammunition market to 6 percent, from 20 percent. Walmart said last month that it accounted for about 2 percent of the nation's firearm sales.

    "As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same," Walmart Chief Executive Doug McMillon said in an email to employees Tuesday. "Our remaining assortment will be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport-shooting enthusiasts."

    Walmart had stopped selling the type of assault-style rifle that was used in the El Paso shooting several years ago, but McMillon said the retailer recognized the need to do more "to make the country safer."

    At least four Democratic presidential candidates called on Walmart to stop selling guns after the mass shooting in El Paso.

    "The weapons they sell are killing their own customers and employees," Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts wrote on Twitter. "No profit is worth those lives. Do the right thing — stop selling guns."

    Walmart ended the sale of handguns in all stores except those in Alaska over two decades ago but on Tuesday said it will now stop in the state as well.

    Walmart also said it will no longer allow shoppers to carry firearms openly inside any of its 4,700 US stores. Shoppers with concealed-carry permits can continue to carry guns, the company said.

    McMillon said the company has no plans to discontinue all gun sales, adding that it has a long history of serving hunters and that founder Sam Walton was an avid hunter. Walmart will continue to sell long-barrel deer rifles and shotguns and much of the ammunition for those guns.

    "I'm a gun owner myself," Mr. McMillon said. "In a complex situation lacking a simple solution, we are trying to take constructive steps to reduce the risk that events like these will happen again," he said. "The status quo is unacceptable."

    The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    国产成人无码久久久精品一| 亚洲精品无码午夜福利中文字幕| 亚洲午夜无码久久久久小说| 中文字幕精品久久久久人妻| 久久精品无码免费不卡| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区系列| 久久精品亚洲中文字幕无码麻豆| 精品久久久久久无码中文字幕一区 | 精品人妻va出轨中文字幕 | 无码人妻精品一区二区三区夜夜嗨| 五月天中文字幕mv在线| 国产Av激情久久无码天堂| 亚洲色中文字幕无码AV| 中文字幕aⅴ人妻一区二区| 久久久久无码精品国产不卡 | 中文字幕在线视频播放| 亚洲AV无码乱码在线观看牲色| 亚洲AV无码国产在丝袜线观看| 无码av中文一二三区| 毛片一区二区三区无码| 最近中文字幕mv免费高清在线 | 99无码熟妇丰满人妻啪啪| 亚洲性无码一区二区三区| 精品久久久久中文字| 日本中文字幕网站| 日本不卡中文字幕| 中文资源在线官网| 伊人蕉久中文字幕无码专区| 国产精品无码素人福利不卡| 成年免费a级毛片免费看无码| 日韩免费无码一区二区三区| 亚洲AV综合色区无码一区| 亚洲日韩精品一区二区三区无码| 中文字幕无码av激情不卡久久| 亚洲中文字幕视频国产| 精品久久亚洲中文无码| 亚洲热妇无码AV在线播放| 亚洲精品无码久久一线| 十八禁无码免费网站| AV无码免费永久在线观看| 91精品久久久久久无码|