Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    China
    Home / China / Society

    Energy initiative to cut smog worsens winter gas shortage

    By HOU LIQIANG/DU JUAN/ZHENG JINRAN/ZHANG YU | China Daily | Updated: 2017-12-15 06:52
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    Surging demand for cleaner fuel affects household heating and pushes up market prices

    Authorities in Shaanxi province limited the amount of liquefied natural gas cab drivers can purchase. [Photo/CHINA NEWS SERVICE]


    Every day, before starting his shift, taxi driver Zhong Guishun heads to a gas station to fill his tank. Usually, the process only takes a few minutes, but last week it took more than two hours.

    Like most cabs in Shijiazhuang, capital of Hebei province, Zhong's car runs on liquefied natural gas, which was in short supply.

    "Only a few stations had the fuel. Some of my peers, who have been driving cabs for more than a decade, said the situation is the worst they've ever known," he said, adding that the line of vehicles stretched more than a kilometer.

    Although supplies at gas stations have returned to normal, the provincial government has yet to lift the orange alert-the second-highest level, signaling a shortfall of as much as 20 percent-it sent out about gas supplies last month.

    Hebei is one of the areas hardest hit by the winter gas shortage, a chronic problem that officials and industry insiders say has been exacerbated by a reduction in imports and a surge in demand resulting from efforts to get millions of rural homes to switch from coal-a major source of winter air pollution-to clean energy.

    Authorities have been building new industrial-sized central heating generators and converting existing facilities to burn cleaner fuels, as well as promoting the use of natural gas in the countryside, where residents traditionally use coal for cooking and heating.

    The massive project, coupled with a range of pollution-control measures and strong winds brought by cold fronts, has resulted in a string of blue-sky days in many northern cities so far this winter.

    However, some generator projects were still not ready when temperatures began to fall, while attempts to get villagers to replace coal burners with gas units have arguably gone too well, resulting in a surge in demand for the cleaner fuel.

    Jiao Shiqing, a housing and urban-rural development official in Hebei, said the province set a target of converting 1.8 million homes to clean energy by the end of October. However, the rapid uptake means that more than 2.1 million homes have already switched to gas, while a further 219,000 are now using electricity.

    Liang Yike, an official with the Hebei Development and Reform Commission, said, "Even without the shift toward clean energy, demand for LNG has risen steadily in recent years."

    However, he acknowledged that introducing the fuel in so many homes at such a rapid rate had resulted in an "unprecedented surge in demand".

    During the "heating season"-which runs from Nov 15 to March 15 annually-demand in Hebei was 3.5 billion cubic meters last year, according to Liang. This year, the figure is forecast to be 8.2 billion cu m.

    Lu Yanan, a resident of Xihuanghe village in Baoding, Hebei, said a gas boiler was installed in her home after Nov 15, but the promised heat failed to arrive.

    "I have children and seniors at home, so I had to keep the air conditioners running at all times to keep warm," she said.

    "Even now, the gas supply is unstable and we experience frequent outages. Before, we could fire up our coal boiler any time we wanted. But with an unstable gas supply, we're just not sure if the new boiler can keep the house warm every day."

    On Dec 5, China Youth Daily reported that rural primary schools in Hebei had also been affected, such as those in Quyang county where photos showed students attempting to keep warm by sitting in the winter sunshine.

    With even colder weather approaching, Liang said his department is working with other provincial authorities and gas companies to coordinate supplies.

    Areas that met their home-conversion targets by installing central heating boilers on schedule have been ordered not to expand their programs, while people in areas where work is unfinished are being given replacement conventional boilers and clean coal to heat their homes, Liang said.

    On Dec 4, the Ministry of Environmental Protection sent an urgent notice to authorities in northern China telling them to use coal to provide heating in areas where energy transfer projects have not been completed.

    On Wednesday, the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, which oversees heating systems, urged officials in North China to visit homes to ensure that everyone is receiving heat.

    1 2 3 4 Next   >>|
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
     
    国产成人无码一区二区三区| 无码乱肉视频免费大全合集| 无码av高潮喷水无码专区线| 亚洲av无码成人精品国产| 无码人妻一区二区三区免费看 | 国产精品无码日韩欧| 国产成人亚洲综合无码| 99精品久久久久中文字幕| 久久99久久无码毛片一区二区| 亚洲熟妇无码八AV在线播放| 久草中文在线观看| 日韩欧美中文在线| a中文字幕1区| 亚洲成av人片不卡无码久久| 人妻无码一区二区三区AV| 亚洲av永久无码精品国产精品| 人妻少妇AV无码一区二区| 国内精品久久久久久中文字幕| 亚洲中文字幕一二三四区苍井空| 国产精品99无码一区二区| 日韩av无码一区二区三区| 无套中出丰满人妻无码| 亚洲自偷自偷偷色无码中文| 精品无码国产自产在线观看水浒传 | 天堂中文8资源在线8| 亚洲av综合avav中文| 久久人妻AV中文字幕| 无码AV中文一区二区三区| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线播放| 亚洲午夜无码片在线观看影院猛| 日韩少妇无码一区二区三区| 日韩美无码五月天| 欧美 亚洲 有码中文字幕| 中文在线最新版天堂bt| 性色欲网站人妻丰满中文久久不卡 | 永久免费av无码入口国语片| 国产日韩AV免费无码一区二区| 久久午夜福利无码1000合集| 国产AV无码专区亚洲AWWW| 精品欧洲AV无码一区二区男男| 亚洲国产精品无码专区在线观看|