Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    California wildfire deadliest in US history, 42 killed: Sheriff

    Updated: 2018-11-13 09:59
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    HIGH WINDS RETURN

    Firefighters battle the Woolsey Fire as it continues to burn in Malibu, California, US, November 11, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

    Perilous winds that stoked the fire through drought-parched brush and chaparral abated on Sunday, giving firefighters a chance to gain some ground against the flames. By Monday, they had managed to carve containment lines around 25 percent of the Camp Fire perimeter, an area encompassing 113,000 acres (45,729 hectares) of scorched, smoldering terrain.

    The Woolsey Fire has blackened more than 91,000 acres and was 20 percent contained as of Monday, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CalFire).

    In the wake of the chaotic evacuations in and around Paradise, at least 228 people were listed as unaccounted for early on Monday, according to Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea.

    Speaking on CNN, Honea held out hope many of the missing would turn up safe, but added: "Given what we've dealt with so far with casualties as a result of this fire, I have concerns that it (the death toll) will rise."

    Winds of up to 40 miles per hour (64 km per hour) were expected to continue in Southern California through Tuesday, heightening the risk of fresh blazes ignited by scattered embers, while winds were forecast to begin diminishing again in Butte County.

    Taken together, the Camp Fire, the Woolsey Fire and a handful of smaller blazes in Southern California have displaced more than 224,000 people, CalFire said. About 8,000 firefighters were battling the flames, backed by squadrons of water-dropping helicopters and airplane tankers, including crews from out of state.

    "These are extreme conditions. If there's a fire in your neighborhood, don't wait for an evacuation order, leave," Los Angeles County Fire Department Chief Daryl Osby told a news conference.

    A home destroyed by the Woolsey Fire is seen in Thousand Oaks, California, US, Nov 12, 2018. [Photo/Agencies]

    Many of those allowed to return in Malibu, a seaside community that is home to many Hollywood celebrities, were left without power or cellphone service, even if their homes were spared by the flames.

    Malibu resident Tony Haynes described how strong winds brought the fire through his neighborhood during the weekend, with the sky growing dark, saying there was so much smoke he put on his scuba-diving tank to breathe. Haynes said his home survived.

    "It all came down to luck and a whole lot of buckets of water," he told KTLA 5.

    A smaller blaze in Southern California, the Hill Fire, was 75 percent contained, officials said.

    Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has asked US President Donald Trump to declare a major disaster to bolster the emergency response and help residents recover. Trump, a Republican who has often criticized Democratic-led California on a variety of issues including immigration enforcement, blamed poor forest management by the state for the infernos.

    Brian Rice, president of the California Professional Firefighters, called Trump's statement "ill-timed" given the loss of life and ongoing search for missing people.

    "You can't just make a blanket statement," Rice told MSNBC on Monday, adding that fires and forest management were complicated and that weather also was a major factor.

    "Right now, what is needed is, really, support," Rice said.

    Reuters

    |<< Previous 1 2   
    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    久久亚洲AV无码西西人体| 在线中文字幕一区| 国产欧美日韩中文字幕| 4hu亚洲人成人无码网www电影首页| 久久男人中文字幕资源站| 亚洲一级特黄无码片| 日韩AV片无码一区二区不卡电影| 最近中文字幕免费完整| 伊人久久大香线蕉无码麻豆| 国产亚洲精品a在线无码| 亚洲中文字幕无码久久精品1| 精品久久久久久久中文字幕| 中文字幕乱码一区二区免费| 久久久久亚洲AV无码专区网站 | 日产无码1区2区在线观看| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区乱子伦 | 国产成人无码一区二区三区在线 | 人妻少妇精品中文字幕av蜜桃| 日韩AV无码不卡网站| Aⅴ精品无码无卡在线观看| 无码人妻一区二区三区兔费| 亚洲国产AV无码专区亚洲AV| 欧洲精品无码一区二区三区在线播放 | 白嫩少妇激情无码| 亚洲欧洲中文日韩av乱码| 中文字幕一区在线观看视频| 久久久久久久久久久久中文字幕| 全球中文成人在线| 中文字幕在线无码一区| 一本大道久久东京热无码AV | 一本一道精品欧美中文字幕| 日韩乱码人妻无码中文字幕 | 新版天堂资源中文8在线| 中文字幕无码精品亚洲资源网久久| 永久无码精品三区在线4| 久久人妻AV中文字幕| 无码中文av有码中文a| 亚洲一区中文字幕久久| 天堂а√在线地址中文在线| 无码AV动漫精品一区二区免费| 中文有码vs无码人妻|