Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Europe

    AstraZeneca jab halted again in Germany

    By JULIAN SHEA in London | China Daily Global | Updated: 2021-04-01 09:32
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    Medical personnel prepares AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine at the general practice of Doctor Claudia Schramm as the spread of the COVID-19 continues, in Maintal, Germany, March 24, 2021. [Photo/Agencies]

    Germany has followed Canada's lead in moving to put age restrictions on the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine because of fresh concerns about links between vaccination and blood clots.

    Following an emergency meeting on Tuesday involving Health Minister Jens Spahn and 16 state health ministers, a decision was taken to stop routine use for people aged under 60.

    On Monday, Canada's vaccine advisory committee recommended pausing vaccinations with the jab-developed by the Anglo-Swedish drugmaker with Oxford University-in people aged under 55 due to the clotting concerns.

    However, the German decision means the vaccine can still be administered "at the discretion of doctors, and after individual risk analysis and thorough explanation", according to documents seen by news agency DPA.

    Before that meeting took place, the country's permanent vaccine commission, known as STIKO, had already published advice saying that the AstraZeneca vaccine should only be given to those aged over 60, a decision it said was made "on the basis of currently available data on the occurrence of rare, but very serious thrombosis-related side-effects".

    Chancellor Angela Merkel said it was wise to be cautious. "Trust comes from the knowledge that every suspicion, every single case will be looked into," she said.

    "We're doing everything, through transparency, through information through clarity . . . to create this confidence that we're not withholding anything."

    Last month, several European countries, including Germany, temporarily suspended use of the vaccine the because of concerns about blood clotting in people who had received it, but use resumed after the European Medicines Agency, or EMA, said it was safe.

    Since then, however, authorities in Canada have looked at a study by Germany's Paul-Ehrlich-Institute, which says rates of blood clotting could be as high as one in 100,000 people, rather than one in 1 million, as previously stated.

    Positive message

    "The positive message is that the vaccine from AstraZeneca should continue to be vaccinated for people who have reached the age of 60," said Klaus Holetschek, health minister of Bavaria, and chairman of the health ministers' conference.

    "The studies continue to show that this is a vaccine that is effective against severe bouts of the disease. We need it to be effective in the face of the third wave and dangerous viral mutations, we need it to move forward quickly."

    While questions over the AstraZeneca jab continue, there is a growing possibility that Russia's Sputnik V vaccine could be used in Europe, with the Times newspaper reporting that the French and German governments are in talks with Russia.

    The EMA has launched a review of the product, which is a crucial step toward its potential clearance for use in the European Union, and when asked last week about Sputnik V, Merkel said: "I have been of the opinion for some time that we should use any vaccine that has been approved by the European medicines regulator."

    It is understood Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a video conference on Tuesday night, when the possibility of purchasing the vaccine was discussed.

    "All vaccines are welcome if they have been approved by the EMA", a spokesman for the German Health Ministry added.

    In Italy on Tuesday, Prime Minister Mario Draghi received his first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which his government temporarily halted the use of last month.

    Liu Xuan in Beijing and agencies contributed to this story.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    无码人妻精品一区二区三18禁| 久久亚洲AV无码精品色午夜| 中文字字幕在线中文乱码不卡| 狠狠精品久久久无码中文字幕| 亚洲AV无码久久精品狠狠爱浪潮 | 少妇无码太爽了不卡在线观看| 永久免费av无码入口国语片| 国产AV无码专区亚洲精品| 最近的中文字幕在线看视频| 久久亚洲AV成人出白浆无码国产 | 久久亚洲精品中文字幕| 高清无码午夜福利在线观看 | 亚洲中文字幕久久精品无码喷水 | 无码内射中文字幕岛国片| 中文字幕一区二区人妻| 播放亚洲男人永久无码天堂| 炫硕日本一区二区三区综合区在线中文字幕| 亚洲Av永久无码精品三区在线| 亚洲Av无码国产情品久久| 日韩精品一区二区三区中文字幕| 自拍中文精品无码| 自拍偷在线精品自拍偷无码专区| 日本久久久久久中文字幕| 国产成人无码精品一区二区三区| 亚洲精品~无码抽插| 中文字幕无码日韩专区免费| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区蜜桃| √天堂中文www官网在线| 2024最新热播日韩无码| 精品无码久久久久国产| 久久国产亚洲精品无码| 国产白丝无码免费视频| av无码免费一区二区三区| 4hu亚洲人成人无码网www电影首页| 久久久无码人妻精品无码| 国产激情无码一区二区app| AA区一区二区三无码精片| AV无码久久久久不卡网站下载| 国产精品午夜福利在线无码 | 无码视频在线观看| 无码专区久久综合久中文字幕|