Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Americas

    Experts decry 'pressure campaign' against Canada

    By YANG GAO in Toronto | China Daily Global | Updated: 2025-07-15 09:31
    Share
    Share - WeChat

    US President Donald Trump is set to impose a 35 percent tariff on Canadian goods and a 50 percent levy on copper imports — moves that experts say raise fears of job losses and escalate trade tensions.

    Mesbah Sharaf, a professor of economics at the University of Alberta in Canada, said the sudden tariff announcement is part of a broader pressure campaign, especially with trade negotiations still underway.

    "It feels like pressure to me. I don't think the talks are done, but this move turns up the heat," Sharaf said. "It's like he's saying, 'Take the deal or get hit with the tariff.' It's a way to push Canada to move faster."

    Last week, Trump said he would impose a 35 percent tariff on Canadian goods starting Aug 1. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney later said trade negotiations with the US now have a revised deadline of Aug 1.

    If the talks collapse, Sharaf expects Canada will not remain passive. "We'll definitely respond one way or another," he said. "Canada could retaliate by adding its own tariffs, seek exemptions or even deepen trade partnerships with other countries in Europe or Asia."

    However, Trump said on Thursday, "If for any reason you decide to raise your tariffs, then, whatever the number you choose to raise them by, will be added onto the 35 percent that we charge."

    Sharaf also questioned the staggered rollout of the tariffs, with implementation delayed despite the advance notifications.

    "It feels like a tactic. Delaying gives them time to negotiate or pressure other countries behind the scenes — while keeping the threat on the table," he said.

    Copper imports

    Trump also recently announced a 50 percent tariff on copper imports, scheduled to take effect next month.

    "It would hurt (Canada) for sure," Sharaf said. "The US buys a lot of our copper, so a 50 percent tariff would likely mean lost business. That could slow down mining and cost people their jobs."

    Industry Minister Melanie Joly said last week that Canada will fight back against the copper tariff.

    "We'll fight against it. Period," she said, without getting into specifics.

    Sharaf said the global nature of the copper trade means such tariffs would not stay localized.

    "If trade slows down between us, it can create shortages, push prices up and disrupt supply chains for industries ... such as electronics."

    Trump has framed the move as a way to promote domestic manufacturing, but Sharaf said the plan could backfire.

    "It looks like he's trying to boost US manufacturing by making imported copper more expensive. But this kind of tariff can backfire — it could end up raising costs for US factories too."

    Kim Nossal, a professor emeritus of political studies at Queen's University in Canada, said the proposed tariffs appear to be part of a broader pattern of "nonrational" trade measures introduced by Trump.

    "The Trump administration's tariffs are driven by a number of different rationales, most of them not very 'rational'," Nossal said.

    "The nonrationality of the tariffs is exacerbated by Trump's bizarre belief that foreigners, not Americans, pay these tariffs."

    Canada exported roughly $5.7 billion worth of copper to the US last year, far below its $34 billion in aluminum and steel exports, he said, but the proposed tariffs are still significant in terms of eroding bilateral trust, and could further undermine confidence in Canada-US trade relations.

    Trump has sent notification letters to certain countries about the tariffs, but delayed their implementation until Aug 1 — a pattern Nossal believes reflects the internal contradictions of the tariff policy.

    "Because the overall US tariff regime is not at all rational, actually implementing this nonrational regime would result in massive economic disruptions — which is why they keep getting pushed back," he said.

    "I don't think this can be called 'strategic'. It's just a recognition that the Trump tariffs, if they are actually implemented, will actually increase economic costs for Americans."

    ?

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    精品亚洲成A人无码成A在线观看| 亚洲av无码不卡私人影院| 成人性生交大片免费看中文| 无码人妻一区二区三区在线| 在线观看免费中文视频| 成 人无码在线视频高清不卡| 日日麻批免费40分钟无码| 亚洲熟妇中文字幕五十中出| 成人免费无码H在线观看不卡| 日韩AV无码一区二区三区不卡毛片 | 久久久久亚洲av无码专区喷水| 中文字幕亚洲一区| 亚洲av中文无码乱人伦在线播放| 50岁人妻丰满熟妇αv无码区| 亚洲精品无码MV在线观看| 区三区激情福利综合中文字幕在线一区亚洲视频1 | 天堂无码久久综合东京热| 精品无码一区二区三区爱欲九九| 伊人久久综合无码成人网| 亚洲av午夜国产精品无码中文字| 亚洲精品无码鲁网中文电影| 中文字幕无码av激情不卡久久| 久久精品无码专区免费东京热| 亚洲中文字幕无码不卡电影| 亚洲伊人久久综合中文成人网| 天堂资源8中文最新版| 一二三四社区在线中文视频| 亚洲高清有码中文字| 中文无码字慕在线观看| 中文字幕7777| 亚洲乱码中文字幕综合| 人妻丝袜中文无码av影音先锋专区 | 亚洲AV无码乱码国产麻豆| 亚洲熟妇无码AV在线播放| 国产精品99久久久精品无码| 精品久久久无码人妻中文字幕| 中文字幕一区二区免费| 少妇性饥渴无码A区免费 | 国产av无码专区亚洲av果冻传媒| 久久精品aⅴ无码中文字字幕不卡 久久精品无码一区二区WWW | 亚洲一区二区三区AV无码|