Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
    World
    Home / World / Middle East

    UN chief calls Gaza situation 'horrific'

    Xinhua | Updated: 2025-07-15 09:33
    Share
    Share - WeChat
    A wounded Palestinian girl is carried by a man at a hospital following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, on July 13, 2025. [Photo/Xinhua]

    UNITED NATIONS - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday described the situation in Gaza as "horrific".

    "What we are witnessing in Gaza is a level of death and destruction that has no parallel in recent times," he told reporters.

    There were reports of more civilian casualties over the weekend, including children, during attacks that felled people seeking aid.

    Guterres said the violence undermines the most basic conditions of human dignity for the population of Gaza, "independently of the enormous suffering that they are having."

    The UN chief reiterated his plea for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza.

    "I hope that the parties are able to overcome ... the difficulties that they still find for that ceasefire to take place," he said. "But the ceasefire is not enough. It is essential that that ceasefire leads to a solution, and that solution can only be possible if both Palestinians and Israelis can have a state where they can exercise their rights."

    The secretary-general said the condition of Palestinians living "in their own lands, without any rights is something that is totally against humanity and totally against international law".

    UN humanitarians have called recent attacks in Gaza, where women and children were killed while seeking water and food, an "outrage".

    The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that over the weekend, strikes and shelling intensified across Gaza, resulting in mass casualties.

    OCHA said seven children reportedly were killed while waiting for water at a distribution site in Nuseirat. The latest incident followed one on Thursday, when several children and women were killed while waiting for nutrition supplies.

    The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) called such slayings an outrage that must end, and said civilians must be protected and treated with dignity, adding that no one, including children, should risk their lives to get food, water or any other aid.

    OCHA said the health system caring for casualties from the hostilities has been decimated, and that despite being on the brink of collapse, hospitals continue to respond to mass casualty incidents as much as they can.

    The humanitarian office said health teams in Gaza continue to suffer some of the worst impacts of hostilities. The Ministry of Health in Gaza reported that a specialist in surgery and endoscopy was killed over the weekend.

    UN agencies warned that the fuel shortage in Gaza has reached critical levels and that without adequate fuel, they will likely be forced to stop their operations entirely, directly impacting all essential services in Gaza, putting more people closer to death, with no health services, no clean water and no capacity to deliver aid.

    OCHA said the small quantities of fuel allowed to enter Gaza last week were barely enough to support essential service operations for even a single day.

    UN agencies and partners repeated that fuel must be allowed into Gaza in sufficient quantities and consistently to sustain life-saving operations.

    UNICEF also reminded that the risk of famine remains. More than 5,800 children were diagnosed with malnutrition last month in Gaza, including more than 1,000 children with severe acute malnutrition, an increase for the fourth month in a row.

    OCHA said the small quantities of aid and critical supplies that have entered Gaza so far are nowhere near enough to meet the needs of 2.1 million people. The Israeli authorities must permit the urgent entry of large-scale aid through all possible routes and corridors.

    The humanitarian office said Israeli authorities have continued to issue displacement orders amid the violence. On Friday, they put out an evacuation order for the Rimal area of Gaza City, where about 70,000 people were staying at a dozen displacement sites. More than 86 percent of Gaza is either under displacement orders or located within Israeli-militarized zones.

    In the West Bank, OCHA said high levels of violence continue.

    On Friday, two Palestinian men in their early 20s were killed near Ramallah during a settler attack, the office said.

    According to OCHA, in the first half of 2025, more than 700 attacks by settlers against Palestinians were recorded, affecting more than 200 communities across the West Bank, primarily in Ramallah, Nablus and Hebron governorates, and resulting in casualties and property damage.

    Most Viewed in 24 Hours
    Top
    BACK TO THE TOP
    English
    Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
    License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

    Registration Number: 130349
    FOLLOW US
    一本久中文视频播放| 国产在线无码精品电影网| 日韩a级无码免费视频| 久久久久亚洲AV无码专区体验| 狠狠躁天天躁无码中文字幕| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区四区| 中文字幕av无码专区第一页| 色窝窝无码一区二区三区色欲| 线中文在线资源 官网| 丝袜熟女国偷自产中文字幕亚洲| 亚洲爆乳无码专区| 日韩视频中文字幕精品偷拍| 亚洲AV无码一区二区三区在线观看| 毛片免费全部播放无码| 天堂8а√中文在线官网| 五月婷婷无码观看| 人妻丰满熟妇av无码区不卡| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区99性 | 视频一区二区中文字幕| 久久久噜噜噜久久中文字幕色伊伊| 精品无码无人网站免费视频| 国产网红主播无码精品| 中文字幕高清有码在线中字| 中文字幕人成高清视频| 免费A级毛片无码无遮挡 | 亚洲AV区无码字幕中文色| 最好看的电影2019中文字幕 | 亚洲精品无码MV在线观看| 中文字幕亚洲综合久久2| 亚洲中文字幕久久精品无码喷水 | 一本色道无码不卡在线观看| 亚洲欧美精品一区久久中文字幕| 最新中文字幕av无码专区| 无码毛片一区二区三区视频免费播放| 国产精品无码a∨精品| 日日麻批免费40分钟无码| 无套内射在线无码播放| 无码日韩精品一区二区免费暖暖 | 下载天堂国产AV成人无码精品网站| 日韩精品久久无码中文字幕 | 一本一道色欲综合网中文字幕|